PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Maddow does a smart thing...

Soflasnapper
10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Last week, Rachel had on an advocate for a state initiative. Toward the end of her segment, the spokesperson asked viewers for financial help, and gave out her website address where viewers could send $5 or $10 dollars to help with the effort.

I think it was clear Rachel did support her position, but she had not agreed to allow, nor was she informed ahead of time about, this solicitation for donations.

In her next segment, Rachel explained the foregoing paragraph, said she was not going to allow fund raising through appearing on her show, and apologized.

She then had put up on the screen the website urls for BOTH the 'yes on the question' and the 'no on the question' websites, and added that both links had been put onto her own website.

I've never seen this done when people seek donations by referencing their websites during talk show appearances, which I have seen many examples of.

I find this a standup action, and a smart one. I wish this practice were more widely followed.

llotter
10-30-2011, 12:03 PM
This was probably a fairly gratuitous gesture in that 99% of her audience are of the same lefty persuasion. More likely she just wanted to be sure everyone knew exactly where to send their donations without breaking FCC rules.

Gayle in MD
10-30-2011, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was probably a fairly gratuitous gesture in that 99% of her audience are of the same lefty persuasion. More likely she just wanted to be sure everyone knew exactly where to send their donations without breaking FCC rules. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">Actually, no, you're wrong, as usual.

Actually, it proves she is a person of honor, but someone like you would have no appreciation for that, since you admire cowardly murderers, who hide in the bushes, and mow down innocent people.

And since you think you have a right to invade another person's space, as they are approaching ann abortion clinic, breaking Federal Laws, in order to try to intimidate them, and dictate to them what they may or may not do with their own lives and bodies, according to your personal religious views.
G. </span>

LWW
10-31-2011, 04:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was probably a fairly gratuitous gesture in that 99% of her audience are of the same lefty persuasion. More likely she just wanted to be sure everyone knew exactly where to send their donations without breaking FCC rules. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">Actually, no, you're wrong, as usual.

Actually, it proves she is a person of honor, but someone like you would have no appreciation for that, since you admire cowardly murderers, who hide in the bushes, and mow down innocent people.

And since you think you have a right to invade another person's space, as they are approaching ann abortion clinic, breaking Federal Laws, in order to try to intimidate them, and dictate to them what they may or may not do with their own lives and bodies, according to your personal religious views.
G. </span> </div></div>

No person of honor supports runaway statism.

Soflasnapper
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was probably a fairly gratuitous gesture in that 99% of her audience are of the same lefty persuasion. More likely she just wanted to be sure everyone knew exactly where to send their donations without breaking FCC rules. </div></div>

I agree that her audience is likely pretty homogenous left to liberal. Former Air America talk show host and all.

It's not true about FCC rules, however, as those apply to BROADCAST television, not cable television whatsoever.

As might be obvious when Fox allows their favored guests to plug their fundraising websites or 800 numbers, without allowing mention or linking to their opponents' similar fundraising or informational site. As I've seen and heard them do, many many times. While that is a biased practice, it is not illegal, just somewhat discrediting of them as a 'fair and balanced' news outlet.

Part of why this is smart is this exact contrast being drawn, to blunt the charge that MSNBC is simply the exact left opposite of Fox's opinion hosts' right propaganda. Not entirely wrong, but shown by this move to not be entirely correct, either.