PDA

View Full Version : Cain.... Sexual Harrassment???

Gayle in MD
10-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Herman Cain was the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s. | AP Photo Close
By JONATHAN MARTIN & MAGGIE HABERMAN & ANNA PALMER & KENNETH P. VOGEL | 10/30/11 8:00 PM EDT
During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.

In a series of comments over the past 10 days, Cain and his campaign repeatedly declined to respond directly about whether he ever faced allegations of sexual harassment at the restaurant association. They have also declined to address questions about specific reporting confirming that there were financial settlements in two cases in which women leveled complaints.

POLITICO has confirmed the identities of the two female restaurant association employees who complained about Cain but, for privacy concerns, is not publishing their names.

Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon told POLITICO the candidate indicated to campaign officials that he was “vaguely familiar” with the charges and that the restaurant association’s general counsel had resolved the matter.

The latest statement came from Cain himself. In a tense sidewalk encounter Sunday morning outside the Washington bureau of CBS News — where the Republican contender had just completed an interview on “Face the Nation” — Cain evaded a series of questions about sexual harassment allegations.

Cain said he has “had thousands of people working for me” at different businesses over the years and could not comment “until I see some facts or some concrete evidence.” His campaign staff was given the name of one woman who complained last week, and it was repeated to Cain on Sunday. He responded, “I am not going to comment on that.”

He was then asked, “Have you ever been accused, sir, in your life of harassment by a woman?”

He breathed audibly, glared at the reporter and stayed silent for several seconds. After the question was repeated three times, he responded by asking the reporter, “Have you ever been accused of sexual harassment?”

Cain was president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association from late 1996 to mid-1999. POLITICO learned of the allegations against him, and over the course of several weeks, has put together accounts of what happened by talking to a lengthy roster of former board members, current and past staff and others familiar with the workings of the trade group at the time Cain was there.

In one case, POLITICO has seen documentation describing the allegations and showing that the restaurant association formally resolved the matter. Both women received separation packages that were in the five-figure range.

On the details of Cain’s allegedly inappropriate behavior with the two women, POLITICO has a half-dozen sources shedding light on different aspects of the complaints.

The sources — which include the recollections of close associates and other documentation — describe episodes that left the women upset and offended. These incidents include conversations allegedly filled with innuendo or personal questions of a sexually suggestive nature, taking place at hotels during conferences, at other officially sanctioned restaurant association events and at the association’s offices. There were also descriptions of physical gestures that were not overtly sexual but that made women who experienced or witnessed them uncomfortable and that they regarded as improper in a professional relationship.

Peter Kilgore, who was the association’s general counsel in the 1990s, and remains in that position today, has declined to comment to POLITICO on whether any settlements existed, saying he cannot discuss personnel matters.

But one source closely familiar with Cain’s tenure in Washington confirmed that the claims related to allegations of sexual harassment – behavior that disturbed members of the board who became aware of it, as well as the source, who otherwise liked Cain.

“I happen to know there were sealed settlements reached in the plural. I think that anybody who thinks this was a one-time, one-person transgression would be mistaken,” this source said.

«

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html

cushioncrawler
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Ah for the old days when the woman hadta proov u were the daddy.
mac.

eg8r
10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah for the old days when the woman hadta proov u were the daddy.</div></div>LOL.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
10-31-2011, 03:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah for the old days when the woman hadta proov u were the daddy.
mac. </div></div>

Nothings' changed, my friend, the woman still has to prove everything.

Sounds like they had plenty of proof on Herman. He started out flatly denying everything, but refuses to answer direct questions regarding the sexual harrassment...hmmmm...

Cain's campaign had ten days to respond, stated only that Cain Vaguely recalled something about it....but there has been no denial.

Johnathon Martin, of Politico, said this morning on Morning Joe, that he gave the campaign ten days to respond, and thenn asked Cain directly, repeatedly, over and over, after Cain's appearance on MTP Sunday, and Cain refused to give him a direct answer, yes, or no, and then Cain threw the question back at Martin, arrogantly asking Martin, Have YOU ever been accused of sexual harrassment?

Martin said, "Sir, yes or no, have you ever been accused?"

No Answer....AND....

No denial was ever stated according to Martin....who got the story from other board members, and former and current
employees, of both Liberal and Conservative leanings....

Cain is still stonewalling, refusing to answer...another BUSH!

When discussing Cain's throwing the question back at Martin, Joe Scarborough said:

"It is so Bush League, that is such a Bush League move to make, that once again it shows that this guy is not equipped, let alone to be President of the United States, but to run to be president of the United States."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Goodbye Herman, LOL....

G.

LWW
10-31-2011, 04:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah for the old days when the woman hadta proov u were the daddy.
mac. </div></div>

Nothings' changed, my friend, the woman still have to prove everything.

Sounds like they had plenty of proof on Herman.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Odd that your link didn't list it?

Soflasnapper
10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Not surprising that such evidence, whatever it was, isn't available.

The women were given monetary settlements that included the condition of silence forevermore on these matters.

His ploy of turning around the question-- 'Have YOU?'-- reminds me of when W was asked if he knew who the leader of country x was. during the runup to the 2000 election? W at least said no, but then asked whether his questioner knew.

I guess it sounds like a fair question, but since the questioner is NOT running to lead this country and the free world, it's not a fair question at all. And particularly as Cain wouldn't even answer the question from his side (falling short of the W standard).

Still, even relatively merit-less cases get settled for pocket money because of the cost of litigation, and the uncertainty of jury votes. The Restaurant Association had a budget of some $20 million+, I've seen reported. 2 x $10,000 might have been seen as a bargain, at 0.1% of their budget.

llotter
10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
The more I hear about Herman, the better I like him. His economic adviser was on CSPAN this morning and was very impressive defending the 9-9-9 plan.

Qtec
10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I hear about Herman, the better I like him. His economic adviser was on CSPAN this morning and was very impressive defending the 9-9-9 plan. </div></div>

You mean the 9-0-9 plan. LOL

Cain is a serial liar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Earlier in the day, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Herman Cain <u>explicitly denied knowledge of any settlement or financial payout related to allegations of sexual harassment</u></span>, telling Fox News: "At the Restaurant Association – outside of the Restaurant Association, absolutely not. If the Restaurant Association did a settlement I wasn’t even aware of it and I hope it wasn’t for much because nothing happened. So if there was a settlement it was handled by some of the other officers who worked for me at the time.”

<u>But just a few hours later</u>, in an interview with the cable network's Greta Van Susteren, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>he recalled specific details about the allegations and one of the two settlements first reported by POLITICO.</span>Continue Reading

"My general counsel said this started out where she and her lawyer were demanding a huge financial settlement…I don't remember a number," he said in a transcript portion published by Byron York.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"…But then he said because there was no basis for this, we ended up settling for what would have been a termination settlement." When van Susteren asked how much money was involved, Cain said: "Maybe three months' salary. I don't remember. It might have been two months. I do remember my general counsel saying we didn't pay all of the money they demanded.</span>

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67279.html#ixzz1cPXo72Qu </div></div>

This must be Cain's 999th flip flop.

Q

Gayle in MD
11-01-2011, 12:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I hear about Herman, the better I like him. His economic adviser was on CSPAN this morning and was very impressive defending the 9-9-9 plan. </div></div>

His economic advisor made a total ass of himself.

And YOU, can now add that you admire murderers, AND men who sexually harrass women.

Why am I not at all surprised...since you consider harrassing women who are accessing their constitutional rights outside of their doctor's offices and fine and fit thing to do....

Disgusting!

G.

Qtec
11-01-2011, 02:24 AM
link (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/politicos-ken-vogel-refuses-to-deny-cain-story-came-from-rival-camp-on-msnbc/)

Cain says there was an investigation and he was cleared. Problem is, none of the other board members can remember any investigation or any sexual harassment claims against him.

A much more likely scenario is that these women complained and Herman and his lawyer paid them off .

Q

Qtec
11-01-2011, 02:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Van Susteren repeatedly pressed Cain on whether he may have misunderstood the ground rules of proper office behavior and inadvertently crossed the line. Asked whether he had a “roaming eye,” Cain replied “I enjoy flowers like everybody else,” but said that he knew the limits.

“<span style='font-size: 14pt'>I believe I have a good sense for <u>where you cross the line </u>relative to sexual harassment<u> but you have to know the lady, the individual,</u></span>” he said. </div></div>

link (http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/herman-cain-changes-story-but-tells-fox-hes-innocent.php?ref=fpa)

Q

Qtec
11-01-2011, 02:42 AM
It just gets better and better.......LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Herman Cain Details Gesture That Led To A Harassment Charge </div></div>

You know, the one 48 hrs ago he had no knowledge of!!!!

link (http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/herman-cain-details-gesture-that-led-to-a-harassment-charge.php?ref=fpb)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“She was in my office one day, and I made a gesture saying — and I was standing close to her — and I made a gesture saying you are the same height as my wife. And I brought my hand up to my chin saying, ‘My wife comes up to my chin.’” At that point, Cain gestured with his flattened palm near his chin. “And that was put in there [the complaint] as something that made her uncomfortable,” Cain said, “something that was in the sexual harassment charge.” </div></div>

‘My wife comes up to my chin.’ My wife or something else?

Q...I want to see proof Herman. LOL

Qtec
11-01-2011, 04:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asked about whether he had any other skeletons in his closet, Cain preemptively painted any future accusers as opportunists.

“<u>Is it possible that someone is going to make something up, yes, </u>but is it going to be credible <span style='font-size: 14pt'>in terms of there was an actual sexual harassment case filed no</span>,” he said. “Because we would have known about it.” </div></div>

So Herman is hinting there might be others, but just because they didn't file a case' there is no merit to their accusations.

Q

LWW
11-01-2011, 04:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not surprising that such evidence, whatever it was, isn't available.

The women were given monetary settlements that included the condition of silence forevermore on these matters. </div></div>

Perhaps.

What evidence of this do you have?

What's that?

None?

Imagine that.

LWW
11-01-2011, 04:37 AM
I remember when your position was that things like this were between a husband and a wife and had no place in the political arena.

What changed?

Qtec
11-01-2011, 04:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not surprising that such evidence, whatever it was, isn't available.

The women were given monetary settlements that included the condition of silence forevermore on these matters. </div></div>

Perhaps.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>What evidence of this do you have?</span>

What's that?

None?

Imagine that. </div></div>

The words of Herman Cain.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“this started out where she and her lawyer were demanding a huge financial settlement — I dont remember the number… but then he said the good news is because there was no basis for this we ended up settling for what would have been a termination settlement, quite frankly, maybe three months salary or something like that.” </div></div>

...and a promise of silence.

If they didn't sign gag contracts for money, surely Cain will be the first one to cry,

"Who are these women? Let they make themselves know and I will cover any fines they may incur. Let the truth come out".

HaHaHa...won't be hearing any of that from Herman.

Q

Gayle in MD
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> link (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/politicos-ken-vogel-refuses-to-deny-cain-story-came-from-rival-camp-on-msnbc/)

Cain says there was an investigation and he was cleared. Problem is, none of the other board members can remember any investigation or any sexual harassment claims against him.

A much more likely scenario is that these women complained and Herman and his lawyer paid them off .

Q </div></div>

Clearly, Cain lied all week. He was all over Washington D.C. yesterday, and the story changed at each stop and each interview.

This ill prepared joke of a candidate, stood and sat in fron of cameras, all day, and had the gall to lie at the National Press Club, in front of the entire National Press Corps.

Unaware of any settlements, yet six hours later, he's describing the settlement, in an interview!???

One day he's pro choice, the next pro life, the next, he's both, LMAO...pro choice AND pro life!

One day he wants to release everyone at Gitmo, the next day, he doesn't.

Herman Cain made a fool of himself yesterday, contradicting himiself at least four or five times.

He had ten days, to re-acquaint himself with these charges against him, from ten years ago. He began with a full denial, and from there his credibility degraded, daily, until by yesterday, he was the big joke of the hour, hour by hour, all day long.

Bottom line, Hermann Cain is a bald-faced LIAR.

But then, what did we expect, from a Repiglican.

Politico and Newsweek aren't going to put their journalistic asses on the line, for a non-story, with no legs.

Cain, clearly, is just another skumbag like Clarence Thomas, but IIARIOK, just as we saw when Clarence was exposed, by a woman with a sterling reputation, formal education, credibillity, poise and grace!

It's really disgusting, watching all of the bald-faced lies of the 'oh so Godly, Family Values, Christain Repiglicans' as they get pass after pass, from their reality denying, teat suckers.

Let us all step back and give them room as they do their familiar little dance of incessant twisting and denying of the FACTS, while accusing all else of having comprehension, and common sense issues, LMAO.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

They are the juvenile cartoon pros, yet there is obviously, no shortage of irrational partisanship in everything they spew.

G.

Soflasnapper
11-01-2011, 08:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not surprising that such evidence, whatever it was, isn't available.

Perhaps.

What's that?

None?

This is what has been reported. I'm sure you've seen it.

It's from the only source for this whole thing (Politico's reporting team), and there's no reason to accept the main claims (which have proven sufficient to make Cain change his story some 4 or 5 times), and yet still balk at this detail that they also state from their reporting (which has otherwise shown to be accurate enough to cause this mini-firestorm).

Moreover, it makes sense as a normal part of such alleged settlements. The money is offered on that condition as a typical part of getting the situation to disappear.

Soflasnapper
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Unaware of any settlements, yet six hours later, he's describing the settlement, in an interview!???

He's playing the lawyerly language weasel card, just as much as Clinton did. (He denied it WAS a 'settlement,' and now says it was 'an agreement.' SEE? Totally different! LOL!)

Problem: this goes against his brand of straight talking and not being a politician type.

Soflasnapper
11-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Perhaps.

What's that?

None?

Here's what Politico reported, which is as I said it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.</span>

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html#ixzz1cTA5IiYE
</div></div>

Meaning that there is as much evidence for that part as the rest of it-- nothing WE'VE seen (as the Politico's sources have not been made public), but as has been reported.

Gayle in MD
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not surprising that such evidence, whatever it was, isn't available.

Perhaps.

What's that?

None?

Here's what Politico reported, which is as I said it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.</span>

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html#ixzz1cTA5IiYE
</div></div>

Meaning that there is as much evidence for that part as the rest of it-- nothing WE'VE seen (as the Politico's sources have not been made public), but as has been reported. </div></div>

Believe me, women have a sixth sense about these kinds of things.

I never believed Clinton's denials. What he did was disgusting. He was still a far better president than any Repiglican president, since Eisenhower and Kennedy. I felt just awful, for Hillary, and Chelsea, during that entire time.

When Clarence Thomas was being the lying A-hole that he still is, every woman in this country, knew damned well, he was lying.

There were women all over the D.C. area, wearing T-shirts during his confirmation hearings, that said...

"He did it!" on the front, with his picture.

This jerk, Cain, is as guilty and creepy as he looks in that recent AD! I knew there was something creepy about that guy, just like I know as well as I am sitting here, that both Scott in Florida, and Wilson in Wisconsin, Cantro, Boehner and McConnell, are all total CROOKS!

Cain did it, can count on it! His ego is too big for prime time!

G.

LWW
11-02-2011, 03:09 AM
How do y'all live with your hypocrisy?

Qtec
11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cain has said he remembers one woman accusing him of harassmentand described the episode on PBS' Newshour last night.

"I reference this lady's height," Cain said. "And I was standing near her and I did this, saying 'you're the same height as my wife.'"

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Bennett said Cain was talking about the case of another woman, not his client. But Bennett said now that Cain is talking about specifics, the confidentiality agreements may no longer be binding.

"I think the National Restaurant Associaion ought to waive the confidentiality and non-disparagement provisions and let the two women, if they choose to do so, come forward and tell their stories so that it can get a complete public airing,"</span> Bennett said. </div></div>

Oh boy.

Q

Sev
11-02-2011, 06:50 AM
This is a non story.

What I find amusing is that the MSM is now being accused of racism.
And they are not happy about it.

This story has no legs and will disappear shortly.

Qtec
11-02-2011, 07:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Cain Timeline (Work in Progress)

1. Politico allegations are false. Story is crap.

2. Yes, there were allegations. But they were false.

3. Yes there were allegations that were false and I don't know what money was paid.

4. I don't know whether money was paid. And it would be wrong for me to find out whether money was paid because it's confidential.

5. There was a in-depth investigation. And I was cleared. But I don't know anything about it.

6. Here's the gesture that led to my getting accused of harassment.

7. Okay, I remember some discussion of a settlement number. </div></div>

This is the story.

Why did he lie?

If he is innocent and the claims [ plural] were baseless, why the cash settlement?

Q

Gayle in MD
11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Cain Timeline (Work in Progress)

1. Politico allegations are false. Story is crap.

2. Yes, there were allegations. But they were false.

3. Yes there were allegations that were false and I don't know what money was paid.

4. I don't know whether money was paid. And it would be wrong for me to find out whether money was paid because it's confidential.

5. There was a in-depth investigation. And I was cleared. But I don't know anything about it.

6. Here's the gesture that led to my getting accused of harassment.

7. Okay, I remember some discussion of a settlement number. </div></div>

This is the story.

Why did he lie?

If he is innocent and the claims [ plural] were baseless, why the cash settlement?

Q </div></div>

She got a whole year of salary.

Cain is on camera, changing his lies by the hour, for days.

"My campaign was made aware that this story was going to break, ten days ago."

LMAO...nope, last summer, another lie.

The paper that broke the story, started communicating with Cain's campaign last summer, asking questions about the allegations, and they were stonewalled for all of these months. Not one single answer came from the Cain Campaign.

Obviously, he thought the gag order on the settlement would keep the story out of the news.

This woman is going to come forward and Cain, being the kind of person who runs for presidennt, while joking about his complete lack of knowledge on foreign affairs, doesn't even know what country has nukes, didn't know China has had Nukes for almost fifty years, is going to end up looking like the counterfiet dufus that he is.

Cain said on PBS, about China, "We know they're trying to acquire Nuclear Technology." and says this seriously, and then tries to say later that it was just a joke!!!!

BWA HA HA HA...

Usbecky, Becky Beckystan....and he jokes about his own ignorance???

It's as if he thinks that his gross ignorance, and arrogance about his own ignorance, is going to endear him to those same ignorant flyovers that voted for Bush twice.

Hey, Herman, we're not all from IOWA!

A whole week of lie after lie, and the righties think this is not a story? No legs? LOL....wait till those legs show up!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

They didn't give this woman a whole years salary, for nothing!

He makes Sara look like a foreign policy genius!

This story isn't going to go away, regardless of how much the Repiglicans try to ignore the ignorance of their supporters, or how much the press tries to pretend that Cain has brains sufficient enough to run for the presidency.

Self identified Conservatives, are going for Cain in a Big BIG way....tells you a lot about Conservative voters...huh?

They want another Bushy, Bushy, Bushychimp...lol /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

G.