PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno & Sex Scandal

Sid_Vicious
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I have to ask for an opinion here. Paterno told one person after hearing one of his top coach was "doing a child" on the University's property. Wasn't Paterno NOT required by at least moral thoughts to followup on the matter even once? Would anyone here reading this have ONLY passed the information just once to someone, and then still snugged up next to this abuser for years on the sidelines and never said, "Hey Dude, you screwing kids?" during all that friendly time? Wasn't it serious enough that Paterno, or anyone, should have conferenced with the upper administration at least once more as followup? I don't know, but to me, Paterno has to have been aiding and abetting all the crimes AFTER he was reported to, MERELY by his unusual way of just blowing it off and forgetting about it?

Again, would you do as Paterno did? Do you have people you know who would excuse Paterno for not getting even more involved? Something stinks! These were kid. for God's sake. sid

Gayle in MD
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask for an opinion here. Paterno told one person after hearing one of his top coach was "doing a child" on the University's property. Wasn't Paterno NOT required by at least moral thoughts to followup on the matter even once? Would anyone here reading this have ONLY passed the information just once to someone, and then still snugged up next to this abuser for years on the sidelines and never said, "Hey Dude, you screwing kids?" during all that friendly time? Wasn't it serious enough that Paterno, or anyone, should have conferenced with the upper administration at least once more as followup? I don't know, but to me, Paterno has to have been aiding and abetting all the crimes AFTER he was reported to, MERELY by his unusual way of just blowing it off and forgetting about it?

Again, would you do as Paterno did? Do you have people you know who would excuse Paterno for not getting even more involved? Something stinks! These were kid. for God's sake. sid </div></div>

Both are scum, and I hope both are jailed.

G.

Sid_Vicious
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I understand that Paterno has fullfilled the minimum for his personal legal aspect, and that in itself is what pisses me off about the uppity-up people in this country...they get off. like Lohan doing just 4 hours in jail, again. There has to be a line to be crossed somewhere in all this nonsense.

But, before I get accused of falsely accusing Paterno of an actual crime, I know that won't stick as it stands. I still feel that he failed those children by JUST reporting the incident once like he did, and that was the last of his involvement. Most of what I am doing here is highlighting that he ain't innocent in morality in the followup. sid

Gayle in MD
11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that Paterno has fullfilled the minimum for his personal legal aspect, and that in itself is what pisses me off about the uppity-up people in this country...they get off. like Lohan doing just 4 hours in jail, again. There has to be a line to be crossed somewhere in all this nonsense.

But, before I get accused of falsely accusing Paterno of an actual crime, I know that won't stick as it stands. I still feel that he failed those children by JUST reporting the incident once like he did, and that was the last of his involvement. Most of what I am doing here is highlighting that he ain't innocent in morality in the followup. sid </div></div>

I can't imagine anyone knowing that children are being abused, and on-going, to continue to be abused, and basically covering it up by doing nothing to prevent it from going on in the future.

To me, that's as bad as doing it yourself.

Same thing with the POPE! The whole Catholic Church, here, and all over the world!

Disgusting!

G.

sack316
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask for an opinion here. Paterno told one person after hearing one of his top coach was "doing a child" on the University's property. Wasn't Paterno NOT required by at least moral thoughts to followup on the matter even once? Would anyone here reading this have ONLY passed the information just once to someone, and then still snugged up next to this abuser for years on the sidelines and never said, "Hey Dude, you screwing kids?" during all that friendly time? Wasn't it serious enough that Paterno, or anyone, should have conferenced with the upper administration at least once more as followup? I don't know, but to me, Paterno has to have been aiding and abetting all the crimes AFTER he was reported to, MERELY by his unusual way of just blowing it off and forgetting about it?

Again, would you do as Paterno did? Do you have people you know who would excuse Paterno for not getting even more involved? Something stinks! These were kid. for God's sake. sid </div></div>

I'll reserve opinion until I see what shakes out after everything... but how nobody contacted authorities is beyond me. We had a coach (then grad student at the time) in '02 tell Paterno, but not authorities. The offender (Sandusky) was not part of the staff at that time. Paterno told administration, but not authorities. Administration... apparently told nobody anything. Also, reportedly custodial staff had seen something prior to this incident of a similar nature, but didn't say anything out of fear of losing their jobs.

As far as Joe Pa, I guess it'll depend on what he really did know (or was told) at the time. If it's as little as he claims, then I suppose he did what he was required to do, but not as much as he should have morally done. That said, I find it hard to believe that the coach who reported it to Joe Pa left things as vague and unclear as he claims they were... and if Paterno DID indeed know specifics, which he claims not to, then I say he's as culpable as the two top officials who stepped down today.

Regardless, a very sad situation there and I hope proper justice is brought throughout.

Sack

Soflasnapper
11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Consider what Denny Hastert did in ignoring the credible reports he received concerning Mark Foley's hitting on underage male pages.

Or that he might have been gay himself, living with a man away from his wife. And a former wrestling coach?

It was bad enough that Fox (of course) identified him as Denny Hastert (D-OH), LOL!

eg8r
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that Paterno has fullfilled the minimum for his personal legal aspect, and that in itself is what pisses me off about the uppity-up people in this country...they get off. </div></div>Your problem with the "uppity-up" is that when they obey the law, as you declare has happened, they don't go to jail for it?

Sure he could have done more, and we all wish anyone would do more in a situation like this but if he obeyed the law and as far as legal is concerned he did what he needed to do then legally there is nothing to talk about. Talk about his morals, then fine there is plenty of discussion there but as far as the law, you have already stated he did what he needed to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still feel that he failed those children by JUST reporting the incident once like he did, and that was the last of his involvement.</div></div>I agree, I wish he would have stepped up and did a lot more.