PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs the prophet...

eg8r
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
For quite some time people have made the choice to avoid the iPhone simply because the lack of flash. I have yet to see any serious websites that implemented flash only without graceful degradation for less capable browsers. The argument for Flash has always been extremely weak and Steve Jobs has proven it over and over again. A year or two ago Steve Jobs posted a pretty nasty letter about the use of Flash on iOS devices and Adobe took great offense. Here is a snippet from Jobs' letter...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Jobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple's mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content... New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind."
</div></div>Well it seems Adobe is honoring this prophetic stance and will be ceasing to develop the Flash Player for mobile platforms. Instead they are releasing a product called Edge which will focus more on HTML5 standards.

Flash will still be around for PC's but then again most people are not looking at the poor performance of flash on a PC because they don't have to worry about charging them. All in all, it looks like Jobs was right yet again.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
It's certainly true that the competition to the I-Pad hasn't made much headway in their market shares by including support for Flash.

Not sure that's true in the smart phone world, as the Androids certainly HAVE increased market share (if at the expense of RIM's Blackberry platform).

eg8r
11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure that's true in the smart phone world, as the Androids certainly HAVE increased market share (if at the expense of RIM's Blackberry platform). </div></div>Adobe pulling out of the "flash" mobile business shows this doesn't really matter all that much. The Android platform may allow you to view flash content but on a wide basis it has been proven to be a performance nightmare in both the browser and battery life. Flash is not designed to be efficient, not at all. It is a resource hog and that is giving more credit than it deserves.

Running a third party platform on your machine to handle tasks which the browser can handle itself is very inefficient. Sure it was needed back in the day but it is an old technology. Companies that base the majority of their business on old technology are generally the last ones to let it go. As mobile OS's continue to grab a larger and larger portion of the marketplace you will continue to see Flash support erode.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
My Blackberry has been loading apps into itself for some reason. Likely that AT&T, my provider, is the owner of some of them (and probably I let a default setting pass my attention).

A lot of them I don't use (social media apps interfaces), but one I probably will use streams live television, which while somewhat limited, is still cool. I have no idea the battery drain it may cause, however. Just noticed I have another capability, to use the BB as a modem if I have a computer lacking a wi-fi connection. I knew Verizon offered a hot-spot wi-fi capability from their phones, which I coveted, not realizing BB had something similar (although it may require a hardwired connection rather than allow a wi-fi hookup).

eg8r
11-09-2011, 09:02 PM
One thing with all OS other than iOS, your provider owns the software. They are able to push whatever they want to your phone. AT&T is probably pushing some stuff out to your phone but it is worth calling to find out.

Live TV streams would be pretty cool but again, no matter what phone you are using that will be a battery hog.

I use my work BB as a modem when I need to get my laptop up and running where there is no wifi but I don't like having to be tethered. My BB is a couple years old and tethering is the only option. I don't know if there are any hotspot capabilities with newer BB's.

eg8r