PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite match available online is...?

8FV
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Just curious. I'm sure there are a ton of videos out there that I have not seen, and I thought I'd ask what your favorite is. Thanks in advance.

I don't particularly have a stand alone favorite, but I did see this match recently, and it was simply astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEy3NXjRxA&feature=channel_video_title

Rich R.
11-14-2011, 05:37 AM
I just recently found this match. The link is for the first of 7 parts which cover the entire match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k06-M12lQWE&feature=related

Bambu
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Reyes vs. Earl for 100,000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDwBllcSyN8

eg8r
11-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I have this video on VHS. I watched it over and over a while back. Now I don't own a VHS player. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

eg8r

8FV
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Those are good matches. A lot to get through... sheesh! But worth watching.

I thought you all might appreciate this video of Ronnie O'Sullivan, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYvlQq3_wk

JoeW
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the link RichR. I had seen the match once before but had not studied it. Crane’s strategy is something to behold. I noticed that he is not committed to a particular break ball and takes what the balls leave as needed. The most important thing I learned is that Crane’s bridge hand does not leave the table until the CB makes contact with the OB.

We often talk about the pre-shot routine and seldom discuss the post shot routine. I think this “lesson” with Crane was very useful. I tried his technique of keeping the bridge hand on the table after the shot and found it to be an easy, comfortable addition that is helpful in improving my overall approach. I am not quite sure what it is but is seems that knowing your bridge hand is not going to move until after contact is made contributes to a more consistently smooth stroke. An odd comment but that is the best I can explain it.

I have heard it said before that Crane seldom has difficult shots but I noticed in the match that he did indeed make several difficult shots when required. He was an artist but he was also a shot maker as needed.

Rich R.
11-20-2011, 07:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the link RichR. I had seen the match once before but had not studied it. Crane’s strategy is something to behold. I noticed that he is not committed to a particular break ball and takes what the balls leave as needed. The most important thing I learned is that Crane’s bridge hand does not leave the table until the CB makes contact with the OB.

We often talk about the pre-shot routine and seldom discuss the post shot routine. I think this “lesson” with Crane was very useful. I tried his technique of keeping the bridge hand on the table after the shot and found it to be an easy, comfortable addition that is helpful in improving my overall approach. I am not quite sure what it is but is seems that knowing your bridge hand is not going to move until after contact is made contributes to a more consistently smooth stroke. An odd comment but that is the best I can explain it.

I have heard it said before that Crane seldom has difficult shots but I noticed in the match that he did indeed make several difficult shots when required. He was an artist but he was also a shot maker as needed.
</div></div>
Joe, I've read this post a few times and I find it interesting that the most important thing you learned is that "Crane’s bridge hand does not leave the table until the CB makes contact with the OB".

I find this interesting because staying down and keeping your bridge hand on the table as long as possible is one of the first things I learned when I was a kid. In fact, I was taught, whenever possible, you should keep your bridge hand on the table until the object ball goes into the pocket. This was reinforced when I watched some Jimmy Reid videos a few years back.

Is this basic practice something you really just learned or something you forgot along the way?
Do you have the habit of jumping up on shots, which would really affect your shot making?

JoeW
11-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I do not have the habit of jumping up on shots and long ago taught myself to "stay down." However, I think that all of us from time to time get too involved in a shot and then make the mistake of loking up, standing up, and various others things we wish we would not do. From what I observed Crane developed a habit that worked very well for always staying down on a shot. Undoubtedly there are other ways. Crane seems to have developed one that, in my opinion, is quite effective for long term consistency.

In addition, I thought that others might find his approach interesting from any of several perspectives, especially because you can observe Crane and his habits over a long period of time. I don't doubt that many a player knows to stay down and have developed techniques for accomplishing this.

I found Crane's approach not only simple, but quickly learned that it is highly effective over many shots.

Rich R.
11-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the clarification Joe.

tony2times
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
if anyone is interested in snooker i would suggest Ronnie O'Sullivans world record 147 maximum.Absolutely amazing,dont have the link but it's on youtube.Also any Jimmy White's 147's are definitely worth watching. Ronnie has tamed but was much like Earl has.HE actually headbutted a referree once,epic.I just miss the game so much,grew up in a snooker hall in Canada but live in Indiana now.My high break is 123,choked on the brown for the clearance,lol.

tony2times
12-08-2011, 11:48 PM
hard to nail down just one but i really enjoy watching any Reyes and Bustamante matches,thank god for youtube,lol

EdwardHopes
12-13-2011, 10:51 PM
One of my favorite is Jay Copeland vs Mike Grooms at the Great Southern Billiard Tour event. Have a look at the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_yQK_YN1Io

Qtec
12-16-2011, 04:43 AM
If you like billiards, you need to see this. Its amazing.

Qtec......... amazing (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/109586/trick_shots_by_semih_sayginer_turkish_billiard_sen sation/)