PDA

View Full Version : BCS (non political)

sack316
11-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to start a thread on College Football and see what anyone's thoughts/opinions are!

What a wild few weeks it has been! Proud to say my conference, the best one out there for quite some time, sits at 1,2,and 3 in the national rankings. Even more impressive, all 3 are from the SEC west!

In a rebuilding year for my Auburn Tigers, we're not in the mix other than to perhaps play spoiler for our arch rival Alabama (what's almost as good as winning the National Championship last year? Knocking the Crimson Tide out of contention this year!)

Big matchup on Friday with #1 LSU going against #3 Arkansas. In an odd twist of BCS fate, Alabama is actually served best to NOT win the SEC west and NOT play in the SEC title game, as they already sit at #2 and by most opinions are "in" as long as there is no slip up against Auburn in the Iron Bowl.

What gets tricky, is what if Arkansas wins a squeaker against LSU? Then we have a 3 way tie in the SEC west, with Bama beating ARK but losing to LSU, LSU beat Bama but losing to ARK, and ARK beating LSU but losing to Bama. The west representative in the SEC championship against GA would be determined by BCS rankings... and what a mess that would then be!

And then even with all that, I have still yet to mention to still contending non-SEC teams of OK St, VA Tech, Stanford, and an unlikely but still possible Boise State and Houston!

Now granting my bias, I'll still say Bama and LSU are clearly the two best teams in the country. Their first game was a joy to watch to anyone in Alabama or Louisiana, and anyone who loves good hard-nosed defense! But to mass appeal national audiences, I'll grant that power run and power defense teams must not be as fun to watch as some of the PAC 12 teams or high octane offenses. Should there be an upset in the next few weeks at the top, I wonder if that will affect any voters?

Been quite a season in college football! I look forward to my SEC keeping the trophy in conference yet again! And even as a die hard Auburn fan, I truly wouldn't mind seeing Bama win it all and keep the trophy in my state for a 3rd consecutive year!

Sack

Soflasnapper
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Perhaps those who've scoffed at calling the SEC the best conference will be corrected by the current standings.

LWW
11-22-2011, 05:14 PM
The SEC is currently 39-5 against out of conference opponents.

eg8r
11-22-2011, 10:39 PM
SEC football is where it is at.

eg8r

LWW
11-23-2011, 05:06 AM
NFL - lite.

sack316
11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps those who've scoffed at calling the SEC the best conference will be corrected by the current standings.

</div></div>

I sure hope so! Sure every year other conferences have a legit contender or two. And a few conferences have traditional powerhouse programs.

But as far as depth and consistency, I see no other conference that holds a candle. With the exception of Vandy, Kentucky, and the two Miss teams (4 out of 12)... all 8 other teams have been either National Champions or legit contenders for a long time. The SEC would have more titles if they didn't spend all season beating up on each other lol

Sack

sack316
11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SEC is currently 39-5 against out of conference opponents. </div></div>

And we actually consider that a down year here in the south /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Georgia would not lose to Boise right now.

Auburn is in a re-loading year and lost to a very good Clemson team for the first time in decades

Kentucky... well we just have them for basketball anyway /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The other two losses were by Ol' Miss, who is looking forward to Mizzou coming in so maybe they can get a conference win again sometime!

Sack

LWW
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Wait until the nation sees what my Beloved UK Wikdcats do to college basketball this year.

sack316
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait until the nation sees what my Beloved UK Wikdcats do to college basketball this year. </div></div>

Already knocked of Kansas!

Big game against UNC Dec. 3 and Louisville later that month. Otherwise the only challenges they'll face are in conference against Bama, Florida, and Vandy. Could easily see them going bringing in 28 or 29 regular season wins if they stay healthy.

Sack

LWW
11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's hoping that a Calipari isn't busted by the rules committee again, or that no FEDEX envelopes full of cash bust open.

Meanwhile, wins by scores of 97-53 ... 125-40 ... 108-58 ... 75-65 ... 85-47 ... and 62-52 certainly bode well. That's 522-315, or an average of 34.5 points win differential so far.

If they lose to Radford tonight ... these posts will self destruct.

sack316
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SEC football is where it is at.

eg8r </div></div>

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390687_306929959324679_100000230312229_1155072_151 0962907_n.jpg

LWW
11-24-2011, 01:16 PM
<span style='font-size: 23pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY WILDCATS - 88</span></span>

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>RADFORD HIGHLANDERS - 40</span>