PDA

View Full Version : It's a Shame

09-25-2002, 12:51 AM
The US Open is supposed to be on Payperview and I have seen no advertisments for the event on television payperview or other channels. This event would be a great way to advertise and build up pool in the US, why not take advantage of it? It's a shame to see that they haven't built up the US Open for all the non-pool playing Americans. Perhaps if the rest of America could see how great of a sport pool really is, they would be more apt to add money and promote tournaments and order the US Open off of payperview so we can have other events like this televised on there again...Just an idea.

Ludba
09-25-2002, 01:06 AM
I agree with you in principle that the industry should be making every effort to promote the sport, but the problem is that pool is still viewed very narrowly by the general public. It's hard to get advertising for a marginal sport like pool. Catch 22. I think gradually pool will work its way into mainstream television. If the upcoming pool movie is a success, that would certainly help, but the best thing would be a regular tv program dedicated to pool. Perhaps weekly, but I'd watch it daily if there was one to watch.
The solution is to legitimize pool in the public eye. But the question is,"Do we only have to make pool LOOK better to the public or are there fundamental parts of the sport that need to change?"

bluewolf
09-25-2002, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Art:</font><hr> The US Open is supposed to be on Payperview and I have seen no advertisments for the event on television payperview or other channels. This event would be a great way to advertise and build up pool in the US, why not take advantage of it? It's a shame to see that they haven't built up the US Open for all the non-pool playing Americans. Perhaps if the rest of America could see how great of a sport pool really is, they would be more apt to add money and promote tournaments and order the US Open off of payperview so we can have other events like this televised on there again...Just an idea. <hr></blockquote>

someone told me it was only on direct tv ppv. is this true?

bw

09-25-2002, 08:14 AM
I have AT&amp;T broabband and it in in the guide. But I have not seen any adds for it on the air.

PQQLK9
09-25-2002, 11:23 AM
Go to www.tvguide.com (http://www.tvguide.com) and see if it's on your local cable for 7:30 pm on sun. the 29th. I did that and found it for Time Warners' cable system here in Charlotte.(I called them directly but they had no clue)

Sally
09-25-2002, 12:11 PM
I just called our local Time Warner office in Orange, CA, and they told me if I don't have digital TV, I can't get the pay-per-view. :-(

JohnnyP
09-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Yea! We just got the Time Warner digital upgrade.

I had resigned myself to waiting for the lame ESPN replays.

Where do you play, Sally? Shirley and I play at Danny K's.

Ken
09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Direct TV is not carrying the Open. Dish Network is the mini-dish provider that is carrying the broadcast and they have been advertising it for a couple weeks on their PPV preview channel. They have also started advertising it on their regular channels.

Most cable companies will be offerng it on their PPV channels but they might not be mentioning it much.
KenCT

cuechick
09-26-2002, 07:00 AM
Don't think ESPN is covering this at all, you might have to order ACCUstats...

09-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I doubt very seriously that the title "Pool Hall Junkies" will get too many Christian parents' attention, nor will the leaders of the community be caught viewing it either. DO NOT get me wrong, I do not go to church.
The media &amp; business moguls just refuse to accept this sport, BUT there just as many theives &amp; drunks in Country Clubs, as there are in any Pool Hall I ever been in. When the Billiard community steps up in unison &amp; says...WE WANT SOME SERVICE PLEASE..! Then service you will get.
People are uninformed about the game, even some of the folks in the midst of the game are ignorant of how great "The Game of Pocket Billiards" really is. The vendors all around "The Game" are ignorant too. I don't think Budwesier spends a dime annually for Pool Tournaments on TV, neither does Frito-Lay, nether does an IMAGINARY Pool Hall Proprietors Association, nor do the Case Companies or ALL of the Cue makers. Pocket Billiards is the only sport (except GOLF) where a fellow has a $1000 or more in cues in a $300-$500 Cue case.
The Pool Hall owners are NOT into the sport, to the extent they should be. We have 3 major UPSCALE Pool Halls within a few miles of each other &amp; NONE of them offer lessons in "The Game", they've even removed their 10-Cent Pro Shop. They have 40+ Tables in each establishment &amp; no one earnest about teaching the customers to play Pocket Billiards for the sake of "The Game". Just about every Golf Course has an Instructor, so does the Bowling Alley &amp; Tennis Courts, but not Pool Halls. I don't think they realize that by making all of the customers better Players, their business will grow with it... in LEAPS &amp; BOUNDS.
I've discussed several facets &amp; they all are tied to money in some form. What about being a Good Player, what does it take to make the grade as a 10 Speed. Lots of Discipline for one.. I know lots of naturals, but they are not 10 Speeds &amp; never will be. They never study the Rail Systems, know nothing of 3-Cushion Billiards &amp; rarely PRACTICE. They are consumed with finding a MARK &amp; rarely do they ever PLAY for FUN.
I say we start writing the companies that sponsor whats termed "Major Sports" &amp; tell them we want to see some Billiards on one of the 30 channels playing. Tell them billiards isn't a couch potato sport. Tell them about the Beer you drink, the chips &amp; sandwiches you eat &amp; the car you rent on vacation &amp; how you might change your wants. Write your letters, send it to the email addresses of the companies you see on TV. CeeBee