PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis Pepper Spray Incident, Four Perspectives

Qtec
11-25-2011, 06:55 AM
who started the violence? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WO4406KJQMc#!)

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Via Andy Baio at his blog Waxy.org.

I was stunned and appalled by the UC Davis Police spraying protestors, but struck by how many brave, curious people recorded the events. I took the four clearest videos and synchronized them. </div></div>

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 08:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> who started the violence? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WO4406KJQMc#!)

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Via Andy Baio at his blog Waxy.org.

I was stunned and appalled by the UC Davis Police spraying protestors, but struck by how many brave, curious people recorded the events. I took the four clearest videos and synchronized them. </div></div> </div></div>

The officers were wrong, period.

The Chancellor has stated that they were wrong.

She has apologized for their irrational actions.

They are both suspended.

The public is outraged over what they did.

Only the right, was for it.

What does that tell us about how far out of touch with most of America, the right actually is?

It tells us everything.....and this incident, is but one incident.

The Polls show that Repiglicans are out of touch with most Americans, including raising taxes on the wealthy, and saving Social Security from a RW voucher attempt at total destruction, even among their own constituents.

G.

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure this is the case.

Consider the widespread public condemnation of student demonstrations during the Vietnam War, and even after Kent State. Average people were of the opinion that they deserved what they got, or worse. Whatever remorse or concern Nixon may have felt, he was bolstered in a hard line by the polling that showed the American people were generally opposed to them.

OWS has fallen in public regard, according to polling, under an aggressive effort to portray them as stinking dirty hippie layabouts, bongo players with piercings (!), who are destroying public property and local private businesses. Fornicating and defecating right on the streets, oh my! Animals, and etc.

I don't agree with these characterizations, of course-- I'm saying a lot of the public does, though.

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure this is the case.

Consider the widespread public condemnation of student demonstrations during the Vietnam War, and even after Kent State. Average people were of the opinion that they deserved what they got, or worse. Whatever remorse or concern Nixon may have felt, he was bolstered in a hard line by the polling that showed the American people were generally opposed to them.

<span style="color: #990000">Many of us think that the demonstrations against the Vietnam War, and Nixon's lies, brought about an earlier end to the war.

In fact, a number of historians have written about that very phenomenon, and indicated that the protests against the war, and the horrendous events of Kent State, contributed a good deal to ending the war in Vietnam. </span>

OWS has fallen in public regard, according to polling, under an aggressive effort to portray them as stinking dirty hippie layabouts, bongo players with piercings (!), who are destroying public property and local private businesses. Fornicating and defecating right on the streets, oh my! Animals, and etc.

I don't agree with these characterizations, of course-- I'm saying a lot of the public does, though. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">I'm with you, and additionally, IMO, the OWS movement has performed a service to all of us by highlighting the vast wealth inequality between the Middle Class and the wealthy...IOW, the proven failures of Repiglican tax, spend, borrow and launch wars, while hiding the costs, and their deregulate and subsidize, corporate welfare, and corporate loophole friendly, economic policies in general.

As well, the majority of Repubs in the polls I have seen are against destroying medicare, and against weakening social Security.

Additionally, I've seen a number of polls showing that majorities of Republican supporters are for raising taxes on the top wealthiest Americans.

I think OWS has performed a great service, in that regard, and that regardless of the Faux Noise yap machine of RW media lies and slander, along with the usual spewing of mis-information and other RW efforts to destroy and misinterpret what has clearly been a spontaneous demonstration of peaceful dissent, against the inequality and corruption which is built into the system, the OWS demonstrations will continue, and they will grow in size and determination.

Just my 2C....

G. </span>

cushioncrawler
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Krappynomicysts everywhere are watching that footage etc -- waiting, waiting -- waiting to do what they do best -- nothing.

Krappynomicysts spent years at uni studying and learning about nothing.
And the usofa badly needs nothing now, quickly, and lots of it -- before its too late.
Nothing will surely save the usofa -- nothing worked before and nothing will work again.
Krappynomicyst's hav never been more united -- theirs iz a sacred duty -- to make sure that nothing happens -- and nothing will stand in their way.
mac.