PDA

View Full Version : When did the GOP lose touch with reality?

Soflasnapper
11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
A lengthy essay by David Frum, in the New York magazine (http://nymag.com/print/?/news/politics/conservatives-david-frum-2011-11/)

Who is David Frum? Self-described in the piece:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’ve been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise Institutes, as a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation, and limited government. I voted for John *McCain in 2008, and I have strongly criticized the major policy decisions of the Obama administration. But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In the throes of the worst economic crisis since the Depression, Republican politicians demand massive budget cuts and shrug off the concerns of the unemployed. In the face of evidence of dwindling upward mobility and long-stagnating middle-class wages, my party’s economic ideas sometimes seem to have shrunk to just one: more tax cuts for the very highest earners. When I entered Republican politics, during an earlier period of malaise, in the late seventies and early eighties, the movement got most of the big questions—crime, inflation, the Cold War—right. This time, the party is getting the big questions disastrously wrong. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Bush years cannot be repudiated, but the memory of them can be discarded to make way for a new and more radical ideology, assembled from bits of the old GOP platform that were once sublimated by the party elites but now roam the land freely: ultralibertarianism, crank monetary theories, populist fury, and paranoid visions of a Democratic Party controlled by ACORN and the New Black Panthers. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extremism and conflict make for bad politics but great TV. Over the past two decades, conservatism has evolved from a political philosophy into a market segment. An industry has grown up to serve that segment—and its stars have become the true thought leaders of the conservative world. The business model of the conservative media is built on two elements: provoking the audience into a fever of indignation (to keep them watching) and fomenting mistrust of all other information sources (so that they never change the channel). As a commercial proposition, this model has worked brilliantly in the Obama era. As journalism, not so much. As a tool of political mobilization, it backfires, by inciting followers to the point at which they force leaders into confrontations where everybody loses, like the summertime showdown over the debt ceiling.

But the thought leaders on talk radio and Fox do more than shape opinion. Backed by their own wing of the book-publishing industry and supported by think tanks that increasingly function as public-relations agencies, conservatives have built a whole alternative knowledge system, with its own facts, its own history, its own laws of economics. Outside this alternative reality, the United States is a country dominated by a strong Christian religiosity. Within it, Christians are a persecuted minority. Outside the system, President Obama—whatever his policy *errors—is a figure of imposing intellect and dignity. Within the system, he’s a pitiful nothing, unable to speak without a teleprompter, an affirmative-action *phony doomed to inevitable defeat. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We used to say “You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.” Now we are all entitled to our own facts, and conservative media use this right to immerse their audience in a total environment of pseudo-facts and pretend information.

When contemplating the ruthless brilliance of this system, it’s tempting to fall back on the theory that the GOP is masterminded by a cadre of sinister billionaires, deftly manipulating the political process for their own benefit. The billionaires do exist, and some do indeed attempt to influence the political process. The bizarre fiasco of campaign-finance reform has perversely empowered them to give unlimited funds anonymously to special entities that can spend limitlessly. (Thanks, Senator *McCain! Nice job, Senator Feingold!) Yet, for the most part, these Republican billionaires are not acting cynically. They watch Fox News too, and they’re gripped by the same apocalyptic fears as the Republican base. </div></div>

Much more to the piece at the link, which see.

cushioncrawler
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Hmmmmm -- looks like DF iz a bit wizer -- but iz still an idiot.

It pozes a question -- if someone iz an idiot, will they allways be an idiot?????

There are grades of idiot -- but i doubt that an idiot kan make it up to the next higher class, whatever that iz.
mac.

cushioncrawler
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
When did the GOP lose touch with reality?

That there question iz a bad one.
Good question or bad -- the answer iz that the GOP haz never lost touch with reality.
mac.

LWW
11-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Next question?

Qtec
11-28-2011, 05:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1988.

Next question? </div></div>

...but you defend them in every thread!

http://www.icis.com/icisconnect/media/galleries/images/90/500x400/emu-bird.jpg

LWW
11-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Yet you can never cite examples?

hondo
11-28-2011, 06:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1988.

http://www.icis.com/icisconnect/media/galleries/images/90/500x400/emu-bird.jpg </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 06:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did the GOP lose touch with reality?

That there question iz a bad one.
Good question or bad -- the answer iz that the GOP haz never lost touch with reality.
mac. </div></div>

That's because they were never in touch with reality in the first place. Can't lose what you never had.

G.

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 08:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1988.

http://www.icis.com/icisconnect/media/galleries/images/90/500x400/emu-bird.jpg </div></div>

Perhaps not exactly. As I've read him, he does constantly defend the alternative universe world-view claims of that side.

But few if any of the actual politicians on that side are fully crazed enough for him. Most of them he calls leftists and statists since they don't go 100% down the line of the Bizarro world as he does.

Most of them make occasional sane points, which proves them to be liars and shills in his mind, FOR THAT SANITY (if they'd stick to the crazy more, he'd find them acceptable).

I do not recall his ever criticizing La Diva Palin, Bachmann, or Paul Ryan, but they are fringy even in so wildly radical a party as the GOP has become.

Even Cain said Bachmann's 'flavor' would be Tutti-Fruiti. The entire party's cereal would be Fruit Loops.

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1988.

Perhaps not exactly. As I've read him, he does constantly defend the alternative universe world-view claims of that side.

But few if any of the actual politicians on that side are fully crazed enough for him. Most of them he calls leftists and statists since they don't go 100% down the line of the Bizarro world as he does.

Most of them make occasional sane points, which proves them to be liars and shills in his mind, FOR THAT SANITY (if they'd stick to the crazy more, he'd find them acceptable).

I do not recall his ever criticizing La Diva Palin, Bachmann, or Paul Ryan, but they are fringy even in so wildly radical a party as the GOP has become.

Even Cain said Bachmann's 'flavor' would be Tutti-Fruiti. The entire party's cereal would be Fruit Loops. </div></div>

Fruit Loops!!!!

Ha ha ha...I like that. The Party is Fruit Loops, and their candidates are Snap, Crackle and Pop!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
This whole thing would be amusing, if the stakes weren't so high.

Otherwise, great theater.

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This whole thing would be amusing, if the stakes weren't so high.

Otherwise, great theater. </div></div>

True.

Given the history of Repiglican abuse of power, we can hardly afford more of itQ!

But, when did they go off into the un-Constitional M.O. of abuse of power, for which Repiglicans have been known over the last forty years???

Non other than the never mentioned God Reagan abuses, aka, Iran Contra...

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/25/the_iran_contra_scandal_25_years_later/

Proof, IIARIOK!

Repiglican supporters don't care about all of the laws the Repiglicans break, and see their usual excape from punishment, as proof of innocence!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

We cannot afford to lose this presidential election to any of the Without Conscience flip flopping liars of the Repiglican right.

pooltchr
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
We cannot afford to lose this presidential election to any of the Without Conscience flip flopping liars of the Repiglican right.

</div></div>

Then you better hope your candidate doesn't attempt to run on his accomplishments!

Steve

hondo
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
So who do you like at this point, Steve?
I'm very curious to know.
And why would be informative also.

Stretch
11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

</div></div>

Then you better hope your candidate doesn't attempt to run on his accomplishments!

Steve </div></div>

lol Republicans paralize Congress effectivly killing government from doing little if anything then point the finger at government blameing it for doing nothing....and the beat goes on. St.

Stretch
11-29-2011, 12:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1988.

Even Cain said Bachmann's 'flavor' would be Tutti-Fruiti. The entire party's cereal would be Fruit Loops. </div></div>

Fruit Loops!!!!

Ha ha ha...I like that. The Party is Fruit Loops, and their candidates are Snap, Crackle and Pop!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Throw in a few waffles and hard boiled eggs and you got the perfect right wing campagne Continental break fast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif St.

Qtec
11-29-2011, 03:46 AM
Answer:

The moment Obama entered the Presidential election.

It jumped up a gear when he got elected.

How does the RW press describe Obama?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Voters Respond to Obama's "Bitter" Comments </div></div>

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRvT1RoO06g&feature=related)

Q

Q