PDA

View Full Version : "Uppity-Ism"....loaded comment?

Qtec
11-28-2011, 04:52 AM
You betcha! According to the blob, Obama and his wife are uppity Negro's who hate white people!

link (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111210018?frontpage)

Uppity - Often used to describe African-Americans who don't know their place.

from the pill-popping mound of lard itself. (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111210009?frontpage)

From another site. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..clearly this has turned into some kind of meta-dogwhistle that <u>Obama is an uppity negro looking down on all you poor white trash in America. He apparently thinks he’s better than you and can’t wait to lord it over you</u> while holding a 40 ounce in one hand and a piece of fried chicken in another once he’s in the White House. </div></div>

Its the Blob that's uppity.

Q

LWW
11-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Did you ask their mammy?

LWW
11-28-2011, 06:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..clearly this has turned into some kind of meta-dogwhistle that <u>Obama is an uppity negro looking down on all you poor white trash in America. He apparently thinks he’s better than you and can’t wait to lord it over you</u> while holding a 40 ounce in one hand and a piece of fried chicken in another once he’s in the White House. </div></div>

Q </div></div>

Can you link us to where RL said that?

What's that?

He didn't?

But you so love the lie that you are willing to parrot it?

It's cool ... you didn't surprise anyone.

LWW
11-28-2011, 06:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..clearly this has turned into some kind of meta-dogwhistle that <u>Obama is an uppity negro looking down on all you poor white trash in America. He apparently thinks he’s better than you and can’t wait to lord it over you</u> while holding a 40 ounce in one hand and a piece of fried chicken in another once he’s in the White House. </div></div>

Q </div></div>

What's that?

He didn't?

It's cool ... you didn't surprise anyone. </div></div>

In fact, why didn't you reveal that the source for that quote was THE DAILY KOOKS (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/21/987119/-Code-for-Uppity)?

Oh ... and that it was the Daily Kooks "PERCEPTION" of comments made by Rick Perry.

You should be ashamed.

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 06:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You betcha! According to the blob, Obama and his wife are uppity Negro's who hate white people!

link (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111210018?frontpage)

Uppity - Often used to describe African-Americans who don't know their place.

from the pill-popping mound of lard itself. (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111210009?frontpage)

From another site. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..clearly this has turned into some kind of meta-dogwhistle that <u>Obama is an uppity negro looking down on all you poor white trash in America. He apparently thinks he’s better than you and can’t wait to lord it over you</u> while holding a 40 ounce in one hand and a piece of fried chicken in another once he’s in the White House. </div></div>

Its the Blob that's uppity.

Q </div></div>

Limpballs has proven his racist views so many times, it isn't even news anymore.

He's proof on a daily basis that Repiglicans thrive on hatred of their fellow Americans.

The right can't get behind any candidate who doesn't spew hatred, lies, misogyny and racism.... anti-American views.

The flyover Bubbas of Nascar, surely proved it. They love the concept of going around in circles, getting nowhere, as proven by their clown candidates, and by the current Repiglican majority in The House. All gas fumes, no progress....

G.

pooltchr
11-28-2011, 07:35 AM
All hatred, and no substance.....

I will check back in a couple of months to see if you have gotten over yourself....but I don't really hold out much hope.

Steve

sack316
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

But, if we shall look at things in that way automatically... why did everyone get up in arms about the "Is Obama happy" thread? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif he he

But seriously, I don't know how Rush meant it. I don't listen to him. My only other experience with the word has been black guys at the pool hall talking about their girls.

Sack

eg8r
11-28-2011, 09:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.
</div></div>Your real world experience means nothing to qtip. He has google to prove you wrong.

eg8r

sack316
11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.
</div></div>Your real world experience means nothing to qtip. He has google to prove you wrong.

eg8r </div></div>

Yeah... but he (rather the article) is correct in what it once meant... unfortunately for the argument the common use these days is different.

The person who is grasping for such straws is a "nice person" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (the original Latin meaning of the phrase, that is)

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 09:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

But, if we shall look at things in that way automatically... why did everyone get up in arms about the "Is Obama happy" thread? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif he he

But seriously, I don't know how Rush meant it. I don't listen to him. My only other experience with the word has been black guys at the pool hall talking about their girls.

Sack </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

</div></div>

Wow Sack,
That word "Uppity" has had racial connotations for as long as I can remember. It was, annd is, clearly a racial slur.

Additionally, what is arrogant or snobbish about the First Lady and Dr. Biden, attending a sports event, or flying in a jet?

I don't live in your state, and maybe you have somehow never heard of that word being used particularly as a racial slur, hard to imagine, but I take your word for it...

However that word "uppity" has always been used to describe... "Uppity Blacks" and always has been, going all the way back to the days of slavery, and since.

It is additionally far from the ONLY time that Limpballs has made statements that others hear as racial slurs, to express his obvious racist attitudes.

G.

sack316
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

Sack </div></div>

</div></div>

Wow Sack,
That word "Uppity" has had racial connotations for as long as I can remember. It was, annd is, clearly a racial slur.

Assitioally, what is arrogant or snobbish about the First Lady and Dr. Biden, attending a sports event, or flying in a jet?

I don't live in your state, and maybe you have somehow never heard of that word being used particularly as a racial slur, hard to imagine, but I take your word for it...

However that word "uppity" has always been used to describe... "Uppity Blacks" and always has been, going all the way back to the days of slavery, and since.

It is additionally far from the ONLY time that Limpballs has made statements that others hear as racial slurs, to express his obvious racist attitudes.

G. </div></div>

Nope, never heard it's actual use with my own ears in that manner (although I am aware of the meaning and use in previous generations). The only other time I have heard it, which I just recalled, would be older teachers/grandparents telling a young person "Don't get uppity with me" when they have a smart mouth. (but not me as a child! Oh no, never me he he /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif)

To answer your other questions, I personally don't see anything wrong with them flying in a jet to an event. I, however, would contend the use to separate jets to arrive at the same destination as wasteful. But then again my family took 3 separate cars to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving last week, so who would I be to judge? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now by other accepted definitions such as 'arrogant' and 'marked by airs of superiority' then I'd say "uppity" is accurate. Just as it would be accurate to be used to describe people such as Trump or 99% of the people in Washington anyway.

As to the slavery connotations... if we research the etymology of the word we find it originates AFTER slavery was abolished (1880, first recorded in Uncle Remus). Further, even then it was used by blacks to describe other blacks.

Prior to that, a similar term "uppish" was used in Britain in the 1600-1700 range, which meant arrogant, lavish, conceited, etc.

None of that changes anything in this discussion, mind you. Just thought it was useful information as it seems our (society's) thought on the origins and meaning of the word is skewed a bit from the actual reality of how it all got started.

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

Sack </div></div>

</div></div>

Wow Sack,
That word "Uppity" has had racial connotations for as long as I can remember. It was, and is, clearly a racial slur.

Assitionally, what is arrogant or snobbish about the First Lady and Dr. Biden, attending a sports event, or flying in a jet?

G. </div></div>

Nope, never heard it's actual use with my own ears in that manner (although I am aware of the meaning and use in previous generations). The only other time I have heard it, which I just recalled, would be older teachers/grandparents telling a young person "Don't get uppity with me" when they have a smart mouth. (but not me as a child! Oh no, never me he he /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif)

To answer your other questions, I personally don't see anything wrong with them flying in a jet to an event. I, however, would contend the use to separate jets to arrive at the same destination as wasteful. But then again my family took 3 separate cars to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving last week, so who would I be to judge? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now by other accepted definitions such as 'arrogant' and 'marked by airs of superiority' then I'd say "uppity" is accurate. Just as it would be accurate to be used to describe people such as Trump or 99% of the people in Washington anyway.

As to the slavery connotations... if we research the etymology of the word we find it originates AFTER slavery was abolished (1880, first recorded in Uncle Remus). Further, even then it was used by blacks to describe other blacks.

Prior to that, a similar term "uppish" was used in Britain in the 1600-1700 range, which meant arrogant, lavish, conceited, etc.

None of that changes anything in this discussion, mind you. Just thought it was useful information as it seems our (society's) thought on the origins and meaning of the word is skewed a bit from the actual reality of how it all got started.

Sack </div></div>

Research all that you wish, as to the written use of the word..... That proves nothing to me, as regards the vernacular meaning, socially, and what readily comes to the mind of the listner when Rush uses such offensive terms, as he well knows.

Finding the first use of the word in print, has absolutely NOTHING to do with it's long known racist connotation.

Our First Lady is an African American, as Limpballs well knows, and there is no doubt in my mind, that his use of the word "Uppity" to describe the First Lady, was used intentionally to stir up public outrage over the obvious racial connotations. That's what he does, as a rule, as we all know.

G.

eg8r
11-28-2011, 11:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah... but he (rather the article) is correct in what it once meant... unfortunately for the argument the common use these days is different.
</div></div>Wherein lies the problem...he is never looking at reality which always includes the "present". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.

Sack </div></div>

</div></div>

Wow Sack,

Assitioally, what is arrogant or snobbish about the First Lady and Dr. Biden, attending a sports event, or flying in a jet?

G. </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Columnist Clarence Page: Limbaugh Used "The Perfect Dog Whistle Word" When Accusing Michelle Obama Of "Uppity-Ism"</span>November 27, 2011 11:21 am ET
From the November 27 edition of NBC's The Chris Matthews Show:

see video:
</div></div>

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111270003?frontpage

Qtec
11-29-2011, 02:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.
</div></div>Your real world experience means nothing to qtip. <u>He has google to prove you wrong. </u>

eg8r </div></div>

You betcha!!!!!!!!!!!

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTyaIAaqz8)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court judge.

Anita Hill allegations

Toward the end of the confirmation hearings, an FBI interview with Anita Hill was leaked. Hill, an attorney, had worked for Thomas at the Department of Education and had subsequently moved with Thomas to the EEOC.[52] After the leak, Hill was called to testify at Thomas's confirmation hearings. She testified that Thomas had subjected her to comments of a sexual nature, which she felt constituted sexual harassment or at least "behavior that is unbefitting an individual who will be a member of the Court."[53][54][55][56] Hill's testimony included lurid details, and some Senators aggressively questioned her.[57]

Thomas denied the allegations, saying:[58]

This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for <span style='font-size: 26pt'>uppity blacks</span> who in any way deign to think for themselves,</span> to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree.</span>[59]
</div></div>

Seems to me that Sack doesn't see the racial element in calling an African-American uppity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To that end, I would like to urge Rush (an avid Mediaite reader) to give a good, thorough read to The Grio‘s Goldie Taylor, who offers up a family recollection about the use of the term “uppity” on her grandfather. While working at an Arkansas pharmacy in 1933, Joseph “Son” Robinson made the mistake of asking a white customer to wait his turn in line:

Before Son could explain who was first, second or third, the customer drew his horsewhip and snapped it. Granddaddy caught the leather strap with his gravedigger’s hands. “I don’t want no trouble now Mister,” granddaddy said staring him in the eye.

“Uppity ni**er!” the man yelled.

And there it was.

In 1933, the word “uppity” meant nothing short of a death sentence for African-Americans living in the South, and my grandfather had been publicly marked for death. My grandparents heeded that warning, packed up and hit the railroad line north before the sun went down. </div></div>

Q

Qtec
11-29-2011, 02:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. </div></div>

So why didn't he say arrogant or snobbish if that was what he meant?

My guess is he used that word deliberately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“What is so hard to understand about <u>Ms. Obama</u> being booed? What do you in the media no understand about a 42% approval rating? <span style="color: #3333FF">Right now Rush shows what a slob he is. Does he mean MB has a 42% approval rating?</span> What do you not understand about the fact that they are not <u>Mr. and Mrs. Messiah anymore?</u> <span style="color: #3333FF">Another RW attack. Another sign of uppity from the Obama's according to Rush!</span> NASCAR people, the rest of us, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>we do not like being told</span> ‘steak and arugula.’ <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>We do not like being told </u></span>that we can only eat what’s in her garden. She comes off as the type of person <span style='font-size: 20pt'>that doesn’t care for the people</span> who are paying for her <span style='font-size: 17pt'>outlandish lifestyle.</span>” </div></div>

IOW, we don't like uppity n...ers telling us what to do.

Its as clear as day.

Q

Qtec
11-29-2011, 03:43 AM
a bugle call (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201111270003?frontpage)

Q

Gayle in MD
11-29-2011, 07:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if he chose to broadcast over a century ago it would mean that, but MORE likely in today's usage he simply meant arrogant or snobbish. Of course I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I don't recall ever hearing uppity used with racist connotations down here in my lifetime.
</div></div>Your real world experience means nothing to qtip. <u>He has google to prove you wrong. </u>

eg8r </div></div>

You betcha!!!!!!!!!!!

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTyaIAaqz8)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court judge.

Anita Hill allegations

Toward the end of the confirmation hearings, an FBI interview with Anita Hill was leaked. Hill, an attorney, had worked for Thomas at the Department of Education and had subsequently moved with Thomas to the EEOC.[52] After the leak, Hill was called to testify at Thomas's confirmation hearings. She testified that Thomas had subjected her to comments of a sexual nature, which she felt constituted sexual harassment or at least "behavior that is unbefitting an individual who will be a member of the Court."[53][54][55][56] Hill's testimony included lurid details, and some Senators aggressively questioned her.[57]

Thomas denied the allegations, saying:[58]

This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for <span style='font-size: 26pt'>uppity blacks</span> who in any way deign to think for themselves,</span> to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree.</span>[59]
</div></div>

Seems to me that Sack doesn't see the racial element in calling an African-American uppity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To that end, I would like to urge Rush (an avid Mediaite reader) to give a good, thorough read to The Grio‘s Goldie Taylor, who offers up a family recollection about the use of the term “uppity” on her grandfather. While working at an Arkansas pharmacy in 1933, Joseph “Son” Robinson made the mistake of asking a white customer to wait his turn in line:

Before Son could explain who was first, second or third, the customer drew his horsewhip and snapped it. Granddaddy caught the leather strap with his gravedigger’s hands. “I don’t want no trouble now Mister,” granddaddy said staring him in the eye.

“Uppity ni**er!” the man yelled.

And there it was.

In 1933, the word “uppity” meant nothing short of a death sentence for African-Americans living in the South, and my grandfather had been publicly marked for death. My grandparents heeded that warning, packed up and hit the railroad line north before the sun went down. </div></div>

Q

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to me that Sack doesn't see the racial element in calling an African-American uppity!

</div></div>

My friend Sack, has a way of over intellectualizing clear-cut issues until they lose any semblance of authenticity.

It's a rightie thingie.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..clearly this has turned into some kind of meta-dogwhistle that <u>Obama is an uppity negro looking down on all you poor white trash in America. He apparently thinks he’s better than you and can’t wait to lord it over you</u> while holding a 40 ounce in one hand and a piece of fried chicken in another once he’s in the White House. </div></div>

Q </div></div>

What's that?

He didn't?

It's cool ... you didn't surprise anyone. </div></div>

In fact, why didn't you reveal that the source for that quote was THE DAILY KOOKS (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/21/987119/-Code-for-Uppity)?

Oh ... and that it was the Daily Kooks "PERCEPTION" of comments made by Rick Perry.

You should be ashamed. </div></div>

Not a single leftist will denounce the DailyKooks for spoon feeding them such a lie?

Imagine that.

eg8r
11-29-2011, 09:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its as clear as day.

</div></div>For a race baiter like you.

eg8r

eg8r
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You betcha!!!!!!!!!!!
</div></div>I know I am right. You don't care about reality, you can just surf the net looking for your fantasy all day.

eg8r

sack316
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I do see and am aware of the element existing in such a context. It's just not the <u>first</u> place my mind jumps to when hearing the word.

When I hear a good double entendre, the first place my mind will go is to the dirty meaning. Probably because I am a bit dirty and somewhat of a pervert.

When in a relationship, if one person constantly accuses the other of cheating it is usually guilt because the accuser has or is cheating themselves.

When someone hears a word very infrequently used in modern society as a racist term, and their first instinct is to yell "racism"... makes me wonder.

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I do see and am aware of the element existing in such a context. It's just not the <u>first</u> place my mind jumps to when hearing the word.

When I hear a good double entendre, the first place my mind will go is to the dirty meaning. Probably because I am a bit dirty and somewhat of a pervert.

When in a relationship, if one person constantly accuses the other of cheating it is usually guilt because the accuser has or is cheating themselves.

When someone hears a word very infrequently used in modern society as a racist term, and their first instinct is to yell "racism"... makes me wonder.

Sack </div></div>

LOL, Sack, then most Americans are racists?

We all know when a person like Rush, uses that term, exactly what he is up to.

It's far from the first time he has launched that kind of racist language against the First Lady, and the President.

When someone wants to deny what is common knowledge regarding that sort of language, when it is used by a race baiter, and uses it against African Americans, it makes me wonder, too. Sort of like when someone tries to suggest that Wild Mother Bears, in the wild around their cubs, feeding them, are predictable?

C'mon!

G.

sack316
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe it's a generational thing then. For most my age that I've seen discussing this, uppity is more akin to "elitism" in our thinking and use of it.

In previous generations, it is more as you describe it.

Given Rush is 60, I may be more inclined to accept his use may have been more purposely provocative than I would have liked to assume (and remember, I'm no fan of Rush anyway, was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt).

Regardless of his intention, I do agree with Q that he should have been more selective in his word choice and just said arrogant or snobbish.

As far as <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then most Americans are racists? </div></div>

Depends on how you'd define it. I say yes, as long as we (both for, against, and indifferent) see this as a black president rather than just a president then there is some degree of 'racism'. As long as we see the difference in the color of our skin it exists IMHO.

Sack

LWW
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
What's amazing is that the cabal here uses blatantly racist words such as "MAMMY" and "CHINK" without any hesitation.

Gayle in MD
11-30-2011, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's a generational thing then. For most my age that I've seen discussing this, uppity is more akin to "elitism" in our thinking and use of it.

In previous generations, it is more as you describe it.

Given Rush is 60, I may be more inclined to accept his use may have been more purposely provocative than I would have liked to assume (and remember, I'm no fan of Rush anyway, was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt).

Regardless of his intention, I do agree with Q that he should have been more selective in his word choice and just said arrogant or snobbish.

As far as <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then most Americans are racists? </div></div>

Depends on how you'd define it. I say yes, as long as we (both for, against, and indifferent) see this as a black president rather than just a president then there is some degree of 'racism'. As long as we see the difference in the color of our skin it exists IMHO.

Sack </div></div>

I can't subscribe to that theory, Sack.

IMO, we won't ever be color blind, IOW, we all will always notice color, and ethnicity, but that does not mean that we all reject or judge the value of others, according to those differences.

I actually no longer think of our President, or his family, as being a black family, although originally, I saw them as a black family.

Now, I only think of them as good people, nice people, good parents, and of him, as a good president who is very intelligent, and is sincerely working very hard to make this a better country for all, and to recover from the multiple disasters on every level, left behind by the Bush Administration, and his blank check Congress.

G.

sack316
11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMO, we won't ever be color blind, IOW, we all will always notice color, and ethnicity, but that does not mean that we all reject or judge the value of others, according to those differences.</div></div>

True, we will likely never reach that ideal vision of color blindness. And as such, there will always be some degree of preconceived judgment that goes along with "seeing" differences and that being the immediate acknowledgement made in our minds about others (note: that doesn't mean a negative connotation associated with that, it can be a positive one as well).

If we are to reach such a goal, it'll be up to the whatever generation of adults to not pass down such thinking. I remember in daycare when I was very young I had a best friend named Sylvester. A few years later when I was maybe 8 or so, my Grandma asked me if I remembered my "black friend Sylvester" from the old daycare because she had seen his parents that day. That was the very first day I recall "seeing" any difference. Until that point I didn't know I had a "black friend Sylvester", I only knew my friend Sylvester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually no longer think of our President, or his family, as being a black family, although originally, I saw them as a black family.

Now, I only think of them as good people, nice people, good parents, and of him, as a good president who is very intelligent, and is sincerely working very hard to make this a better country for all, and to recover from the multiple disasters on every level...
</div></div>

And how you see things now is how I'd wish all would see the world! But you admit how you saw them at first, and I'll freely admit I tend to do that as well... it's human nature.

But let's say, for example, we think (as many did/do) how amazing it is for a black man to graduate Harvard and one day become president! If we wouldn't say the same and celebrate the accomplishment to the same extent as we would for any other racial group graduating from Harvard and one day becoming President, then we are practicing racial differentiation... which is some form of racism in itself (albeit a 'positive' one).

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMO, we won't ever be color blind, IOW, we all will always notice color, and ethnicity, but that does not mean that we all reject or judge the value of others, according to those differences.</div></div>

True, we will likely never reach that ideal vision of color blindness. And as such, there will always be some degree of preconceived judgment that goes along with "seeing" differences and that being the immediate acknowledgement made in our minds about others (note: that doesn't mean a negative connotation associated with that, it can be a positive one as well).

If we are to reach such a goal, it'll be up to the whatever generation of adults to not pass down such thinking. I remember in daycare when I was very young I had a best friend named Sylvester. A few years later when I was maybe 8 or so, my Grandma asked me if I remembered my "black friend Sylvester" from the old daycare because she had seen his parents that day. That was the very first day I recall "seeing" any difference. Until that point I didn't know I had a "black friend Sylvester", I only knew my friend Sylvester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually no longer think of our President, or his family, as being a black family, although originally, I saw them as a black family.

Now, I only think of them as good people, nice people, good parents, and of him, as a good president who is very intelligent, and is sincerely working very hard to make this a better country for all, and to recover from the multiple disasters on every level...
</div></div>

And how you see things now is how I'd wish all would see the world! But you admit how you saw them at first, and I'll freely admit I tend to do that as well... it's human nature.

But let's say, for example, we think (as many did/do) how amazing it is for a black man to graduate Harvard and one day become president! If we wouldn't say the same and celebrate the accomplishment to the same extent as we would for any other racial group graduating from Harvard and one day becoming President, then we are practicing racial differentiation... which is some form of racism in itself (albeit a 'positive' one).

Sack </div></div>

I don't think it is necessary to not even notice that someone is of a different color, it's the unfair assumptions that follow, in some cases.

Same thing could be said about homosexuals. Some people link all sorts of unfair assumptions to homosexuality, others, realize that they are just people, like anyone else, and deserve the same rights and respect, of heterosexuals.

Some in our country, most, I think, were proud of our country when President Obama became president. I can remember how much I cried, as I watched African Americans celebrate, so proud, and so touched, by the event of our first elected African American President. I actually don't think I could have felt that pride any more if I had been an African American, myself.

But then, we had others, who used what should have been national pride, and twisted it into an opportunity to fear monger, and tear us apart, mostly for political gain, or in the case of pundits, and some media organizations, as a way to make money off what was surely un-American rhetoric, playing to the lower instincts of mankind.

Those are the kind of tactics, that Limbaugh uses, and he's known for that, for a reason, and those are the kind of divisive tactics, that I try to always speak against, regardless of whether they are used against women, Gays, the poor, the ill, or in the form of racial discrimination.

I see that effort as an obligation to my fellow human beings, and to myself, as a human being, and to the future of my granddaughter, and to her own children to come, some day.

This was a good conversation Sack. I've enjoyed it.

Gayle

sack316
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
All very true G. We can even break it down even further to our perceptions of blondes vs brunettes vs redheads. Long hair versus short hair. Tall people and short people. Skinny and Fat. etc. etc. etc.

And as you seem to say, to which I agree, it's not the differences themselves that are dangerous. It's the stereotypes, judgments, and how we perceive these differences that become dangerous, offensive, and create firestorms...more often than not unnecessarily.

And yes, very good and interesting discussion /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack