PDA

View Full Version : Real, Not Imagined, Abuse Of Power By? God Reagan

Gayle in MD
11-28-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/25/the_iran_contra_scandal_25_years_later/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The list of the “other… more important ” aspects of the sordid story that became known as “Iran-contra” scandal is a long one but worth recalling 25 years later. The Reagan administration had been negotiating with terrorists (despite Reagan’s repeated public position that he would “never” do so). There were illegal arms transfers to Iran, flagrant lying to Congress, soliciting third country funding to circumvent the Congressional ban on financing the contra war in Nicaragua, White House bribes to various generals in Honduras, illegal propaganda and psychological operations directed by the CIA against the U.S. press and public, collaboration with drug kingpins such as Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega, and violating the checks and balances of the constitution.

“If ever the constitutional democracy of the United States is overthrow,” the leading political analyst of the scandal, Theodore Draper wrote at the time, “we now have a better idea of how this is likely to be done.”

Despite the gravity of the scandal, and the intense political and media focus it generated in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Iran-Contra has been largely forgotten.

Who remembers how many top NSC and CIA officials were convicted of crimes relating to the scandal? (Six, although two, Oliver North and John Poindexter, had their convictions dismissed and four were pardoned by President George Herbert Walker Bush.)

How many people would recall the televised Congressional hearings in 1987 that riveted the nation?

Who would be surprised to learn that a Congressman named Richard Cheney used his role as head of the minority side of the Congressional Iran-Contra investigating commission to develop his theory that the Executive has unilateral powers to do whatever the hell he wants?

Indeed, how many Americans are aware of the key roles played by President Ronald Reagan, and President-to-be George H.W. Bush?

Reagan and Bush were so deeply involved in various aspects of the Iran-Contra operations that the Independent Counsel, Lawrence Walsh, conducted a “criminal liability” evaluation on both of them. (My organization, the National Security Archive, recently obtained these records through the FOIA. We posted them on today.) The studies were drafted in March 1991 by a lawyer on Walsh’s staff, Christian J. Mixter, and represented preliminary conclusions on prosecuting both Reagan and Bush for various crimes ranging from conspiracy to perjury.

</div></div>

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB365/index.htm

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Reagan insulted America and our values by insisting the murdering, raping, desecrating by mutilation of the bodies of the dead, drug dealing Somacista Contras were the equivalent of our Founding Fathers.

And in the process, fathered the crack epidemic, with all its vast costs of money, shattered and lost lives, and a lost generation of African-American youth bearing felony convictions.

When he signed the S&L deregulation bill, he remarked to those in attendance, 'well, boys, it looks like we hit the jackpot!' He was right-- some jackpot! $100 billion in losses, costing the taxpayers $500 billion for the 30-year payoff at interest, and 65% of all commercial real estate forced into receivership by the RTC?

The country will always be in Reagan's debt.

cushioncrawler
11-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Reagan started the destruktion of the usofa.
Obama iz delaying the inevitable.
Nothing will save the usofa.
mac.

cushioncrawler
11-28-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE&feature=player_popout

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Reagan started the destruktion of the usofa.

I am sympathetic to that view, but I will now shock the world, partially agree with Glenn Beck, and say it was Woodrow Wilson instead. (Partially, because as much as he despises WW, he dates the beginning of our destruction to the Progressive movement some 30 years before Wilson's time. That's not true in my opinion.)

Obama iz delaying the inevitable.

That would be a good thing, if only it were true. My view is that he would have been an excellent technocratic president in ordinary times, or even normal crisis times, but lacks enough vision to author large enough policy changes required by such extraordinary multiple crises. Not that he could get them through the Congress with its own dysfunction, even if he had the insight to propose them.

Nothing will save the usofa.

That may be so. I hope and pray it is not so.

If you mean the USA as an empire, that part is likely doomed, I agree. And good riddance. No nation can control the world for long.

If you mean instead the USA as a singular nation, I disagree, and am hopeful. We've been on the canvas many times before, only to rise up and renew ourselves.

Our best ideals remain a light to the nations. Should we fall, our ideals will still live on as inspiration to all mankind. Freedom and liberty is a most powerful idea, and its banner will always be raised.

The country is in sore need of a spiritual revival, and turning away from the crass materialism involved in the worship of Mammon. It will be difficult, as the Mammonites are holding many of the high cards, but they now raise on a busted flush. We only need the courage to call, and we'll find they have nothing in their hole cards.

cushioncrawler
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
That reminds me -- the best card trick i ever saw i saw on a bus.
I woz on that same bus (of course i woz on the bus, i just sayd i saw it on a bus so i must hav been on the bloody bus).
And it woz me doing the trick.

I had been asking my mates to pick a card any card and i kept guessing the card. They koodnt beleev it.

Finally one of the guys grabbed the full deck from my hand -- held it klose to hiz chest -- and stopped at a card -- and still carefully hiding it az though to keep it a secret from everyone he sayd -- "ok what card hav i got".

I knew my goose woz cooking -- but suddenly i realized that i had a 1 in 52 chance of making history.
I kan still remember it like it woz yesterday -- alltho i think it woz in 1967.

I sayd "3 of diamonds".

Hiz face froze -- and hiz eyes froze on the card -- and hiz lips mooved but the words froze.

Yep -- i had dunn it -- the perfikt con -- a lucky guess.

I hope that the usofa iz lucky.
mac.

Soflasnapper
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I appreciate your hope! Me too.

I've heard many variations, but one at least is that 'God protects fools, drunks, and the US of A.'

Many sayings like this one have a basis in fact. Some don't.

cushioncrawler
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....The country is in sore need of a spiritual revival, and turning away from the crass materialism involved in the worship of Mammon. It will be difficult, as the Mammonites are holding many of the high cards, but they now raise on a busted flush. We only need the courage to call, and we'll find they have nothing in their hole cards.</div></div>Krappynomix iz like a card game where everyone walks out az the milkman iz delivering the milk, and the milky asks how the game went, and iz told.....
"nah, no good, we all lost".
mac.