PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to move a table 3 inches?

Rip
03-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Rather than be without a table until the 9 footer arrives, I had my 7ft Olhausen moved to our new house this week. The table mechanics did a great job and I thought we had taken into consideration all other furniture and pool cue floor racks and wall racks, wall sculptures, etc. We goofed...okay--I goofed. Well, I need to move the table 3 inches. I plan on calling the table guys back out to handle this but my question is--will they have to actually disassemble the table or will they be able to move it using another technique? Thanks, Rip

Rod
03-04-2002, 03:06 AM
Rip, if its a 1 peice slate there is no need to take it apart. Heck i've moved 7 footers with a dolly and some
scrap wood as a shim to lift one end at a time. It barely has to come off the floor to move it.

Brady_Behrman
03-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Table does not have to be disassembled! If it was put together propely.

Being that its an olh. its a 3 piece slate. If they used the Slate Compound(hint hint JIM S) two guys can move it. Otherwise, You will need 4 guys to get Underneath the table and move it with their backs. This will most likely eliminate the chance of the slate to "pop", unless liquid dowel(slate compound) was used, then its no prob. Then its going to have to be releveled. I am sure that the guys who installed it wll move it for you. If you have machinest levels then you can move it and relevel it. CARPENTER levels wont work. Good Luck.

Brady Behrman

I would not install a table without using Slate joint Compound. Its a must! Slate settles! Anyone else who is considering a table install, make sure they have Slate Joint Compound.

Fred Agnir
03-04-2002, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rip:</font><hr> will they have to actually disassemble the table or will they be able to move it using another technique? Thanks, Rip <hr></blockquote>

I wonder about this. Is the 7' Olhausen have 3-piece slate? My table is one piece, so I can just jack up the end with a floor jack (car jack and 2x4) and move it a few inches at a time. Maybe you can buy those moving disks they sell on TV and put one under each leg and move the table around with one finger like they show.

Fred

JimS
03-04-2002, 01:45 PM
I READ IT! And I hear you Brady. I didn't know the Liquid Dowel was that strong!....and I'm not going to test it...other than playing on it. If/When after 6 months of playing on it every day and the slate remains in place I'll be singing your praises here on the ccb and anywhere else I can get an ear.

Thanks for steering me to it in the first place.

Regards, JimS.

Brady_Behrman
03-04-2002, 02:19 PM
No problem....

I will take all Side bets on the slate staying together. Even lay odds...lol...The only way to break the slate apart is to unsrcrew the slat from the frame and lift up on the end. I showed Ed from Diamond and I believe he is using it on all his installs! He was using bondo and wax i think.. NOW, he uses the compound and wax....Quicker and more productive....
The compound was invented by Al Conti, probally the best pool table mechanic in the country. Thanks AL

03-06-2002, 11:47 PM
My wife and I moved my 7 footer 15 feet with them little teflon disks they sell at Home Depot. They work great!