PDA

View Full Version : Moori cue tip

09-25-2002, 10:18 AM
I recently had a moori tip installed and was surprised
how thick it is. Looks kinda distracting. Will someone tell me that this is normal.

Rod
09-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Ok, I'll tell you it looks normal. Next time you see your tip guy have them shave it down. I have about 25 to 30% cut off a new install.

09-25-2002, 11:20 AM
The moori tips profess to have 11 layers of pig skin.
Wouldn't cutting it down affect play? If not, I'll cut it down. By the way, would continual play eventually compress it somewhat? I know I'm making too much of a deal on this but bear with me.

09-25-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> The moori tips profess to have 11 layers of pig skin.
Wouldn't cutting it down affect play? If not, I'll cut it down. By the way, would continual play eventually compress it somewhat? I know I'm making too much of a deal on this but bear with me. <hr></blockquote>

No. cutting it down would NOT affect the play. It will compress a little.

Rod
09-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Play will eventually compress the tip a little. Cutting it down won't effect play if anything it might feel a tiny bit more firm on the hit. Layered tips start life at 14mm. When trimmed to fit the shaft there always tall. By cutting appx 25% off it would be about the same height as a new 13mm. It's just a question of do you want to wait for it to wear down.

09-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Thanks. This is my first layered tip. Appreciate your advice.

stickman
09-25-2002, 06:28 PM
As Rod has suggested, it would be best to cut it down a little. There is a risk involved with using a too tall laminated tip. If you strike hard with heavy english, you can run the risk of causing the tip to begin delaminating. Also with a layered tip, never use a pik, or mushroom burnishing tool. The pik will cause delamination, and the heat from a mushroom burnisher will also. If necessary, use a mushroom graser, a tool that cuts the mushroom off. Layered tips are great, but require a little different handling.

09-25-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Stickman. What an informative post.

Bob