PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why you shoot pool

09-25-2002, 12:30 PM
I have to do a report on billard's. Being an avid player, i would like to know why other people play.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-25-2002, 12:37 PM
I told myself about 37 years ago that I am going to play until I get it right.. still trying to get it right.

I also play because I share a common goal with many of my fellow players, I want to improve and will continue to exercise my attempts at the continuous challenge that pool presents.

=k=
09-25-2002, 12:52 PM
my reason is i dislike tv and love the challenge of pool. k

nAz
09-25-2002, 01:11 PM
I love the challange of making Hard shots! i just WISH i could learn to love the challange of getting good SHAPE! lol

Wally_in_Cincy
09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Every rack is different.

It's a challenge.

There's always room for improvement.

It is possible to get good thru practice, not just thru natural ability.

It's a good way to meet people.

It's aesthetically pleasing.

stickman
09-25-2002, 01:50 PM
#1. Enjoyment.
#2. Challenging.
#3. Socialization.
#4. Not too physically demanding.

09-25-2002, 02:00 PM
because pimpin is hard work

9 Ball Girl
09-25-2002, 02:05 PM
Mmmm....

1. I love physics

2. There's something satisfying (seriously!) for me to break balls--no pun intended!

3. I love a good challenge

4. You meet people with the same obsession

5. I love the pressure of having to win a big game

6. And last but not least, you can play all year round

09-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Why not?

Karatemom
09-25-2002, 02:17 PM
I have to admit that I probably would have never picked up a cue and hit a ball seriously if I hadn't met my husband.

The mental aspect of the game is fascinating.

The challenge of trying to get better at this game keeps me coming back for more.

Most of people I have met are as nice as can be; I just ignore the rest, LOL.

Heide ~ definitely dedicated

ChrisW
09-25-2002, 02:58 PM
1.Because pool is a never ending puzzle that has been able to keep me interested since I was 6 years old. A sport that has thousands of goals at any level of play.

2.Allows me to show respect to the man who I believe gave me the skills to be as good as I am today. Of course that man is my father.

3.The simple feeling of accomplishment after running the perfect rack.

Just a few.
Chris

Brian in VA
09-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Along with golf, pool is the only sport or game where the player is in complete control when it is his or her turn. Since it's all up to me, I enjoy the rewards and consequences of my play. And no matter how long I play both games, I will never make the same shot twice as some variable always changes. It's never boring. It's a lot like life.

09-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Because money won is twice as sweet as money earned.
Now, if I could just win more often! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I play because of the game's history, its character and characters.
It is the game of kings that is enjoyed from the most opulent of palaces to the dingiest back street gin joint. It is a game with the grace of a pampered royal feline but with the street-wise attitude of an alley cat. Perhaps contest is more befitting a name to those who embark on its journey; a contest against one's own will more so than a contest against an opponent. The physics involved care little how old one is, what gender one is, or how strong one is. The true strength required is in the mind.

You walk into an establishment, be it your favorite hangout or unknown soil. The glow of the table light acts as a beacon that calls to you. Through the din you make out the telltale green field at which science and art come together as it does nowhere else. Friends are made and money won and lost as you play into the wee hours of the morning. When you awake, the echoes of colliding phenolic resin spheres still ringing in your head, one thought comes to mind;
Can't wait to play again!

Of course, maybe that ringing was just the Jim Beam! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

HOWARD
09-25-2002, 04:27 PM
I SHOOT BECAUSE I REMEMBER THE VERY FIRST TIME THAT I CAME ACROSS THE GAME. - GREEN FELT, COLORED BALLS WITH NUMBERS, LONG STICKS WITH BLUE TIPS, BRUNSWICK TABLES, THE CLICK OF CUE BALL ON OBJECT BALL, THE SOUND OF THE THUD AS THE BALL FELL IN THE POCKETS, THE ANGLES WHICH THE BALLS ROLLED AFTER CONTACT, WITH THE RAIL WITH EACH OTHER, THE FEEL OF THE FELT ON THE TABLE, THE WOOD ON THE RAIL, THE LEATHER OF THE POCKETS, THE SQUEAK OF THE CHALK ON THE TIP OF THE HOUSE CUE. IN THREE WORDS IT WAS LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. -HOWARD

Patrick
09-25-2002, 05:11 PM
Because pool is harder than chess. Chess is limited, pool is unlimited (down to the smallest particles).
In chess you can win if someone tells you what piece to move and where. In pool you need skill to control the cueball to a certain spot on the table. You don't need much skill to move a piece to a square on the chess board.

Pool is meant for intelligent people, you need a high spatial intelligence to calculate how the balls will rotate, you also need physical intelligence; good muscle memory to control speed.

Patrick

09-25-2002, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

6. And last but not least, you can play all year round

<hr></blockquote>

Not to mention, any time of the day! I have to admit, that is one of the things I like about pool over golf /webbbs/images/icons/wink.gif

griffith_d
09-25-2002, 05:36 PM
One of the best sounds is the sound of a good break. It always peaks my attention, even when watching movies.

Griff

09-25-2002, 05:42 PM
10) It beats a wedgie!
9) I get to show the girls my 'big 58" stick'!
8) The more I play, the better my "stroke" gets!
7) I need an excuse to spend way too much money on a fancy piece of wood!
6) I love it when my clothes smell like second-hand smoke!
5) I'm attracted to the health complications that second-hand smoke can cause!
4) Trying to reason with a bunch of drunks is always fun!
3) Fighting with a drunk over "who's quarter is next" is fun!
2) Everybody in the bar is drunk ...

And the NUMBER 1 REASON I LIKE TO PLAY POOL ....

1) Drunk girls are easy!

BA-DA-DA-DA

bluewolf
09-25-2002, 06:01 PM
I always enjoyed watching good players pocket balls. I played a few times 30 years ago but wasnt all that interested. I was more the physical type, karate,running and motorcycles and ***Hmmmm

then i picked up a cue three years ago and was mildly interested.someone made the mistake of telling me i would be a cruddy pool player for quite some time. That was it for me, I was determined to prove them wrong. Once I got into playing the game, I became obsessed with all aspects of it and am now hopelessly adddicted.

so i started because in a sense someone told me i couldnt do it.
i play because i am addicted.
the physical parts,the mental parts, the comraderie,addicted to all those things.

bw

rackmup
09-25-2002, 07:12 PM
Why do I play?

Because I like...

<ul type="square"> The sound a ball makes when it gets drilled into the back of the pocket.
Putting together a beautiful cue and watching as others admire it.
The smell of a real leather case.
Watching the coin move around the table, to my advantage.
Hill-Hill.
McCready one-liners.
Nine ball breaks that are hit so hard, balls smash into the pockets and the cueball crashes to the cloth after being shot 15" into the air.
Length of the table, two rail bank shots.
Impossible cuts &amp; backward cuts.
A solid Diamond wood rack.
Nothing about Sardo.
Richard Black.
Jack Justis.
A Richard Black inside a Jack Justis.
Railbirds.
Woofing.
Tall blondes, long legs and shots that require them to reach over the table.
Nicknames.
Fried foods.
Hearing someone say "Great shot" because it was.
Jump cues.
Mosconi.
Fats.
"The Color of Money" &amp; "The Hustler"...on DVD.
Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.
Simonis cloth.
Aramith balls.
Original Master's blue.
Nothing about Sardo (it deserves mentioning twice).
Long draw for shape.
One Pocket.
Nine Ball.
Eight Ball.
Reading the morning paper and drinking coffee in the pool room before anyone else shows up.
Tight racks.
George Thorogood on the stereo.
314 Shafts and all of the surrounding controversy.
Tiger hard laminated.
My pool friends.
The Behrman's, Q-Masters &amp; all of the controversy surrounding them.
Grady.
The coin flip or the lag.
Asking "What kind of weight do I get?"
Aiming systems, the Diamond system and beating the system.
Watching a road player work.
The thought that his money might just become your money.
Phil Cappelle.
Accu-Stats videos.
Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, Bill Incardona &amp; Mike Massey making shots on those videos.
Having a "special" coin for marking your wins.
Having to spend that "special" coin on a gumball to calm your nerves.
Pretzels.
Bangers.
Old-timers.
Gold Crowns.
The thought that one day, bar boxes and 8' tables will go the way of the dinosauers. Okay, the 8' tables can stay but the bar tables have to go (or at least that shot-put they call a cueball.)
A prospering Men's Professional Pool Players organization that can step over their own egos to promote the game and not themselves.
The thought that one day, I might actually be up three games over Les (OnePocketChamp) playing even.

[/list]

Regards,

Ken

09-25-2002, 07:29 PM
I started playing pool because of the challenge it presented. But I continue to play pool because one challenge leads to another: as soon as I've come close to mastering one aspect of pool, another one pops up. Or rather I notice that there is another part of my game that I previously neglected. From ball control to application of english to tempo to consistency under the pressure of competition, there's always some new goal or exercise to work on.

In effect, the process and pleasure of playing pool and the unreachable goal of playing my best game are what make pool so interesting. But what I have noticed lately after having played seriously for a little less than a year is that the game is constantly a test of my character.

Sometimes I have lost interest or the drive to practice or compete. Other times I practice well but then choke in competition. Sometimes I lose in competition and blame it on the wrong things. But each time, I realize something different about my game and myself. But the reason I put up with the frustrating practice sessions or the infuriatingly bad games is that one game where I am completely in the zone and I am playing truly great. As I sink the last ball and I start to come out of my trance, I know that all the practice has paid off.

Cueless Joey
09-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Because I need to burn my dinner calories.

OnePocketChamp
09-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Rackmup, you are quite the dreamer!!!!
My short list:
1. A great three rail to win a game of one pocket.
2. Everytime you break and run.
3. Ditto, the blonds in short skirts.
4. Win, lose or draw, the action keeps me coming back.
5. Number one reason, playing with a great friend like Ken.

09-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Great post, Howard. You've got the soul of a writer. We need more newcomers like you.

Bob

09-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Love your post, Anonymous.

From someone who feels the same way,
Bob

09-25-2002, 10:03 PM
You say Bar-box; I say shmar-box; let's burn the ol' things up. Mosconi called 4-1/2 x 9s "puddle-jumpers." Jeez, then what are these? Eh, I'd probably get beat on them anyway.

Enjoyed your post, rackmup.

Bob

09-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Drunk girls are easy? Jeez, then I must really have problems.

Ludba
09-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks, bob. for some reason I wasn't logged in when I posted.

Ludba

09-26-2002, 06:58 PM
You All have got to be kinning me!!!
I agree with alot of the aforementioned points...

Personally, I like to watch my opponent rack.
Especially if it pisses them off!

Tight racks..
G