PDA

View Full Version : Perry Under Scrutiny Using Gov Phone 4 Campaign

Gayle in MD
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An Associated Press review of Perry's phone records and daily public schedules reveals a chronology at times, minute by minute of the governor's meetings before his campaign launch. Texas state ethics rules prohibit use of state phones for campaign purposes. Perry officials said the talks were for official business.

The governor's files also show connections between Perry and many of his early supporters. Those whom Perry called have raised millions for his state campaigns, and he appointed some of them to Texas state jobs. Some were quick to return the favor by donating to his White House campaign.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An Associated Press review of Perry's phone records and daily public schedules reveals a chronology at times, minute by minute of the governor's meetings before his campaign launch. Texas state ethics rules prohibit use of state phones for campaign purposes. Perry officials said the talks were for official business.

The governor's files also show connections between Perry and many of his early supporters. Those whom Perry called have raised millions for his state campaigns, and he appointed some of them to Texas state jobs. Some were quick to return the favor by donating to his White House campaign.

</div></div>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/rick-perry-donors-state-phones_n_1131266.html?ref=politics

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 07:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An Associated Press review of Perry's phone records and daily public schedules reveals a chronology at times, minute by minute of the governor's meetings before his campaign launch. Texas state ethics rules prohibit use of state phones for campaign purposes. Perry officials said the talks were for official business.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An Associated Press review of Perry's phone records and daily public schedules reveals a chronology at times, minute by minute of the governor's meetings before his campaign launch. Texas state ethics rules prohibit use of state phones for campaign purposes. Perry officials said the talks were for official business.

</div></div>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/rick-perry-donors-state-phones_n_1131266.html?ref=politics
</div></div>

Does anyone think anything will come of this?

G.

Soflasnapper
12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I do not think anything will come of it.

If he were still leading the pack, people would try to make more of it.

I simply yawn at such a thing, as if it is quite corrupt to use the state phone for private donation solicitation, and entirely fine to reach in your pocket for your private phone, or in the case of the Congress, walk across the street to a phone bank, and place those same donor solicitation calls, just with a different phone?

To me, there is no effective difference in perception of corruption, and to make it a <s>federal case</s> state ethics violation is awwww! so sweet!!, but nonsense, basically. I doubt the ethics law is a criminal law in any case, more likely a civil violation involving fines.

And such laws are more of a nod to an idea of reducing a perception of corruption than actually accomplishing anything of the sort.

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Very true....

It's more about the cronyism, than anything about the phone usage, really.......

eg8r
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree completely. I mean seriously, are we to believe Obama or any other politician has never used federal or state phones for personal business, run a campaign, etc?

eg8r

Soflasnapper
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Actually, many people in office do a very exhaustive attempt at obeying any and all such rules. Members of Congress make that pilgrimage across the street to use the 'allowable' phones for their daily hours of phoning for cash, every day of the week, probably.

I remember when as VP, Gore had two phones in front of him, one a campaign phone, and one a DNC phone (from which soft money donations could legally be solicited).

He either used the wrong phone, or the wrong calling card to charge the calls to, and people wanted to make that a federal offense, even though he was even at the time attempting to obey the labyrinthine election laws, and what he did made absolutely no difference to anyone.