PDA

View Full Version : Corp America HOARDS, While the rest HURT...

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 07:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corporate America Is Sitting On The Solution To The Jobs Crisis: Report
Dan Fromkin

WASHINGTON -- Corporate America is sitting right on top of the solution to the nation's employment crisis, according to a new report from a group of University of Massachusetts economists.

If America's largest banks and non-financial companies would just loosen their death-grip on a chunk of the $3.6 trillion in cash they're hoarding and move it into productive investments instead, the report estimates that about 19 million jobs would be created in the next three years, lowering the unemployment rate to under 5 percent.

"There is no reason that the U.S. needs to remain stuck in a long-term unemployment crisis," Robert Pollin, lead author of the report and co-director of the Political Economy Research Institute, said in a statement accompanying the report's release Tuesday.

"Getting the banks and corporations to move their hoards into productive investments and job creation requires carrots and sticks -- policies such as a new round of government spending stimulus as well as taxes on the banks' excess reserves -- that can both strengthen overall market demand and unlock credit markets for small businesses," Pollin said.

(See, for background, slide 5 of our Nov. 8 story, 6 Things Obama Could Do To Goose The Economy -- Without Congress, and, from 2010: Job Creation Idea No. 9: Encourage Banks To Lend -- Or Else.)

Even as the nation continues to confront massive unemployment, the nation's biggest companies have been hoarding cash. Banks have been able to borrow the money essentially for free from the Federal Reserve, so why not? In fact, according to the Federal Reserve (Table L.109, line 28), banks are sitting on $1.6 trillion in reserves -- about 80 times the $20 billion they held in 2007.

Meanwhile, non-financial companies are keeping their profits liquid, rather than plowing them back into investments, to the tune of about $2 trillion.

Together, that amounts to almost a quarter of the U.S. gross domestic product.

</div></div>
READ ON:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06..._n_1132445.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/corporate-america-is-sitting-on-the-solution-to-the-jobs-crisis_n_1132445.html)

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wednesday, Dec 7, 2011 8:00 AM 09:45:38 EST
Attack of the deadbeat corporations, Part 2
We already knew U.S. companies weren't paying enough federal taxes. But the same is also true at the state level
By Andrew Leonard .
(Credit: david_shankbone / CC BY 3.0)

Topics:Taxes
Why do those mean people at the Citizens for Tax Justice and the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy keep picking on American corporations? Just one month ago, they released a damning report pointing out how hundreds of the bluest of American blue-chip corporations were flat-out deadbeats when it came to paying their federal income taxes. But that wasn’t enough. Now they’re piling on with even more nasty numbers — a breakdown of how many of those same Fortune 500 companies are also slipping out from under their state tax liability.

Bottom line: The average statutory corporate tax rate is 6.2 percent. But between 2008 and 2010, the 265 companies analyzed in the report “paid state income taxes equal to only 3.1 percent.” If they had paid the full rate, states would have collected another $82.6 billion in revenues, money sorely needed to pay Medicaid bills and keep parks open and employ teachers and firefighters.

We can’t repeat this enough: When you hear someone say that American corporations suffer from high taxes, take a moment to point out that, as far as taxes are concerned, it’s never been better than right now to be an American corporation.

As recently as 1986, state corporate income taxes equaled 0.5 percent of nationwide Gross State Product (a measure of nationwide economic activity). But in fiscal year2010, state and local corporate income taxes were just 0.28 percent of nationwide GSP, equaling the low-water mark set in 2002. For the three years between fiscal 2009 and 2011, in fact, state corporate income taxes were at their lowest sustained level, as a share of the U.S. economy, since World War Two.

The report cites three major reasons to explain the ongoing decline in state corporate income tax revenue — “the trickledown impact of federal corporate tax cuts, ill-advised tax ‘incentives’ intentionally enacted by state lawmakers, and unintended tax shelters created by companies armed with creative accounting staffs.” The report also proposes a sheaf of well-meaning, sensible policy responses and strategies for reversing the trend. But ultimately, the proposed fixes all run head on into exactly the same political reality that any attempt to rationalize the federal income tax debacle faces: at the congressional level, politicians are still attempting to reduce corporate tax liabilities.

Earlier this year, the House Judiciary Committee approved H.R. 1439, the so-called “Business Activity Tax Simplification Act” (BATSA), which would make it substantially more difficult for states to effectively tax the income earned by corporations from activities within their borders.

The bill’s sponsors — and the corporate lobbyists pushing this plan — say that the goal of the bill is to limit state and local governments to taxing only those businesses with a “physical presence” in a state.

Of course, as the authors point out, the “physical presence” standard makes no sense in the Internet age. Even worse, any corporation with accountants who know what they are doing can easily structure subsidiaries to carry out physical operations in such a fashion as to escape local taxes.

Which leads us to one final inescapable conclusion. Today, a not insignificant amount of corporate creativity and innovation is channeled directly into the task of avoiding taxes. Our patchwork system of federal and state incentives and tax breaks creates fertile ground for game-playing. In a simpler world, you would have to think that energy could be directed to more productive uses.

</div></div>

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/07/attack_of_the_deadbeat_corporations_part_2/

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I guess that States klutch their ankles to tempt corporations.
And paint lipstick around their anuses.
A race to the bottom -- in more ways than one.
Kan u buy a butt-plug big enuff for a State????
mac.

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that States klutch their ankles to tempt corporations.
And paint lipstick around their anuses.
A race to the bottom -- in more ways than one.
Kan u buy a butt-plug big enuff for a State????
mac.

</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Hey Mac....are you having a few drinkies tonight?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Carrots and Stix iz diffikult -- diffikult in theusofa -- carrots and stix need to be approved by Congress.
mac.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/celestialgirlie/Carrots.jpg

cushioncrawler
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/dissgrace/carrots.jpg

cushioncrawler
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/winterbrookfarm/carrots.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/lemmingsolution/carrots.jpg

Gayle in MD
12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/dissgrace/carrots.jpg </div></div>

Too cute. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh136/chadjones420/awesome/carrot.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll115/Making-A-Noise/Vehicles/2188-carrot-car.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/Malone_Lavey/Atlanta%20Downhill%20Pt%202/Downhillchallange08003.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/animalstalk/SavvyCon2008Sat012.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/SurfingEagle/horse-and-carrot.jpg

cushioncrawler
12-07-2011, 04:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mac....are you having a few drinkies tonight?</div></div>Gayle -- nah, its 9am Thursday down here. I will hav some red tonite.
Billiards iz over for 2011 -- i went to melbourne and watched the teams grandfinal.
After firstly driving akross melbourne to paynpickup a set of old bonzoline snooker balls in their original box that i got on ebay for $50.

I woz gonna start work on my diy-ply-sectionable-nesting-outrigger-pole'punt this morning. But after seeing thems carrot-pix i think i might change my design.
mac.

llotter
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
The die-hards on the Left are beyond any hope of understanding that controlling the economy is far beyond the abilities of a few eggheads and politicians. The beauty and virtue of capitalism is that millions of minds being applied to the millions of problems in their own individual lives

The Left, for their own selfish reasons, always want to sum up large numbers of small problems into something so big that it demands solutions only a big government can provide. But both experience and logic show that there are no big solutions that can effectively cope with millions of small problems of individuals that only have one attribute in common e.g., unemployment.

In reality, there are few problems that are big enough to require government to become involved, especially at the federal lever. In reality, the federal sledge hammer as applied to small problems can and does only make the problem worse.

LWW
12-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Why would they do this?

cushioncrawler
12-08-2011, 05:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The die-hards on the Left are beyond any hope of understanding that controlling the economy is far beyond the abilities of a few eggheads and politicians. The beauty and virtue of capitalism is that millions of minds being applied to the millions of problems in their own individual lives

The Left, for their own selfish reasons, always want to sum up large numbers of small problems into something so big that it demands solutions only a big government can provide. But both experience and logic show that there are no big solutions that can effectively cope with millions of small problems of individuals that only have one attribute in common e.g., unemployment.

In reality, there are few problems that are big enough to require government to become involved, especially at the federal lever. In reality, the federal sledge hammer as applied to small problems can and does only make the problem worse.</div></div>Name one sledge hammer that made the problem worse.
Just one.
mac.

LWW
12-08-2011, 05:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The die-hards on the Left are beyond any hope of understanding that controlling the economy is far beyond the abilities of a few eggheads and politicians. The beauty and virtue of capitalism is that millions of minds being applied to the millions of problems in their own individual lives

In reality, there are few problems that are big enough to require government to become involved, especially at the federal lever. In reality, the federal sledge hammer as applied to small problems can and does only make the problem worse.</div></div>Name one sledge hammer that made the problem worse.
Just one.
mac. </div></div>

- Federal minimum wage laws.

- Ignoring the tenth amendment.

- Robbing the social security fund

- Granting the POTUS the power to murder citizens without trial.

- Expanding the commerce clause to limit how much wheat a farmer can grow for their own personal consumption.

- Blocking US oil production.

- Confiscation of private property for the sole purpose of expanding the tax base.

I could go on.

Gayle in MD
12-08-2011, 06:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mac....are you having a few drinkies tonight?</div></div>Gayle -- nah, its 9am Thursday down here. I will hav some red tonite.
Billiards iz over for 2011 -- i went to melbourne and watched the teams grandfinal.
After firstly driving akross melbourne to paynpickup a set of old bonzoline snooker balls in their original box that i got on ebay for $50.

I woz gonna start work on my diy-ply-sectionable-nesting-outrigger-pole'punt this morning. But after seeing thems carrot-pix i think i might change my design.
mac. </div></div>

LMAO! Mac, you're a trip! The pics are a riot.

G.

Gayle in MD
12-08-2011, 06:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The die-hards on the Left are beyond any hope of understanding that controlling the economy is far beyond the abilities of a few eggheads and politicians. The beauty and virtue of capitalism is that millions of minds being applied to the millions of problems in their own individual lives

In reality, there are few problems that are big enough to require government to become involved, especially at the federal lever. In reality, the federal sledge hammer as applied to small problems can and does only make the problem worse. </div></div>

The crash happened after eight years of Bush/Cheney/Friedman Voodoo Economics, under a Repiglican President, and most of those years under a Repiglican majority. NOTHING TRICKLED DOWN EXCEPT DISASTROUS RESULTS.

WHAT THEY CREATED WAS NOT CAPITALISM! WHAT THEY CREATED IS FASCISM.

Even with unprecedented Repiglican obstructionism, and unconscionable irresponsibility, President Obama's administration, and policies, have reated more JOBS than Bush created in eight years!

Corporate colusion with government representatives, against the best and broader interests of the general welfare... is what fascism is...

Wrapped in the flag, waving the cross...
G.

cushioncrawler
12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The die-hards on the Left are beyond any hope of understanding that controlling the economy is far beyond the abilities of a few eggheads and politicians. The beauty and virtue of capitalism is that millions of minds being applied to the millions of problems in their own individual lives.

In reality, there are few problems that are big enough to require government to become involved, especially at the federal lever. In reality, the federal sledge hammer as applied to small problems can and does only make the problem worse.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Name one sledge hammer that made the problem worse. Just one. mac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Federal minimum wage laws.
- Ignoring the tenth amendment.
- Robbing the social security fund
- Granting the POTUS the power to murder citizens without trial.
- Expanding the commerce clause to limit how much wheat a farmer can grow for their own personal consumption.
- Blocking US oil production.
- Confiscation of private property for the sole purpose of expanding the tax base. I could go on.</div></div>I missunderstood llotter. I meant a large sledge hammer for a large problem.

I agree that millions of peeple sorting out millions of little problems and even kicking eech others ankles aint bad for keeping the train going.

But when the train stops or derails the passengers havta get together to fix things.
mac.