PDA

View Full Version : Pujols to the Angels...

eg8r
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Holy cow that is a big contract. Something like $254m for 10 years. Crazy. Do you think with LaRussa leaving it was an easier decision for Pujols?

eg8r

LWW
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I am glad he's out of the Reds division.

eg8r
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Holy crap, they also pick up Wilson. They are going to be tough next year.

eg8r

LWW
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I will go out on a limb and predict the Angels regret signing Albert.

Nothing against Albert, but he's 31 and coming off the worst year of his career and going to the superior of the 2 leagues ... not good indicators to invest the GDP of a few nations.

eg8r
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing against Albert, but he's 31 and coming off the worst year of his career and going to the superior of the 2 leagues ... </div></div>They may regret signing him in 6 to 7 years but the "worst year" of his career was not exactly shabby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the end of the 2011 season, he led all active players in batting average (.328),[4] slugging percentage (.617),[5] and OPS (1.037),[6] and ranked 37th in number of home runs in Major League Baseball history.</div></div>Basically what this shows you is that even though his numbers were slightly below his average yet much higher than the average MLB player, he was back to Albert once he got healthy. I am not blinded to think these numbers will continue to track this way through the entire contract but then again, not too many players make it to the end of their contracts anyways.

On top of that, should they win one single World Series they will consider the entire contract a win no matter how the rest of the time turns out. Lately professional sports has been a "what have you done for me lately" and the Angels have just told their fans they are "in it to win it". If ticket sales, concession sales, parking sales, mech sales etc increase, Pujols continues to be effective for a couple years and they get a WS win then this will be a win. If there is no WS win then it will be a bust.

eg8r

eg8r
12-08-2011, 11:08 PM
LOL, no kidding. On ESPN the talking heads were joking that this is still a win for the Marlins even though they did not get him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

cushioncrawler
12-09-2011, 01:30 AM
The Steelers will win the world series for sure.
No one plays gridiron like the Steelers.
mac.

cushioncrawler
12-09-2011, 01:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am glad he's out of the Reds division.</div></div>Gotta luv reds.
mac.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/p_j_s_13/wino.jpg

LWW
12-09-2011, 04:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, no kidding. On ESPN the talking heads were joking that this is still a win for the Marlins even though they did not get him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

That deal would have bankrupted the Marlins.

LWW
12-09-2011, 04:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am glad he's out of the Reds division.</div></div>Gotta luv reds.
mac.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/p_j_s_13/wino.jpg </div></div>

Absolutely.

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/AttractionPICS/MrRedLegs_250x250.jpg

LWW
12-09-2011, 04:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Steelers will win the world series for sure.
No one plays gridiron like the Steelers.
mac. </div></div>

We are talking about American cricket here mate.

sack316
12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will go out on a limb and predict the Angels regret signing Albert.

Nothing against Albert, but he's 31 and coming off the worst year of his career and going to the superior of the 2 leagues ... not good indicators to invest the GDP of a few nations. </div></div>

I don't know, through 11 seasons he's #1 ALL TIME is most major batting statistics. He's durable (his lowest games played year was 143 in '06) so he'll be on the field most every day.

On a team whose weakness was at the plate last year, picking up arguably the best hitter in the game isn't an awful idea. Now personally I'd take all that money and get 3 or 4 'very good' young hitters and go about things that way, but I'm not the GM.

But "regret" seems such a strong word. This reminds me of the Yanks blockbuster signing of A-Rod. He's fallen off the last few seasons, but I doubt they regret signing him as I'm sure Jersey sales in those first few years helped curb the high salary cost.

Besides becoming instant World Series contenders with Pujols and Wilson, they'll gain something else. Pujols will be in an Angels uniform when he hits all the major milestones! He'll be at 500 HR in the next year or two... as well at joining the 600 club, and has a good shot at chasing down Aaron and Bonds. That's a lot of merchandising, publicity, and TV time coming to the Angels!

Sack