PDA

View Full Version : DVR'd the Michael Buble Christmas program

eg8r
12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I love listening to Buble's music. It is great to see there are still a few entertainers out there with a travelling big band. At the same time I am quite sad to see Harry Connick Jr. wasting his time on Broadway but that is a different subject. I spent quite a few years playing this style music and it is a shame to see what has happened to it. I have to say, it was also a shame to see Kelly Pickler and Justin Bieber singing but I understand this is a show for the masses and they happen to be quite popular at this time. My 7 year old daughter loves Bieber but I hope and pray it is due to liking what others like instead of actually thinking this kid has any singing talent.

My love and passion is live music and I try and support it every chance I get. To expose my children to this style of music is, for me, without question. When they are at school or hanging with their friends they can listen to the garbage on pop radio but for the little bit of time with me listening to music (usually in the car and when they get home from school) they will get to hear the greats, or at least the ones I consider the greats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is funny though when my playlist goes from Count Basie to Led Zepplin to Chopin to Sergei Nakariakov to Wynton Marsalis to any 70-80s rock. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~would have much preferred to see Reba over Kelly Pickler

Soflasnapper
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I know his name, but none of his music.

How would you describe it? Old throwback to Broadway show tunes styling, something like that? Crooning?

I was raised with a lot of singing music from all eras, high school musicals and old movies providing a lot of the 'classics' of the musicals' era. Liked 'em well enough at the time, but probably would turn the channel on them nowadays.

eg8r
12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know his name, but none of his music.

How would you describe it? Old throwback to Broadway show tunes styling, something like that? Crooning?
</div></div>Crooner for sure. He is today's Sinatra, or that is how a lot of people describe him. I don't think he has the personality but the ability is all there.

I really enjoy Buble and Nora Jones. It is nice to see young, talented musicians that can perform in those styles with the level of skill and grace as the greats before them.

On this show Kelly Pickler sang a duet with Buble and her phrasing was awful. She just does not sing this style of music and was clearly just "singing". Pretty voice but technically light years in the wrong direction.

Another example would be a live concert with Wynton Marsalis and Willie Nelson. There is one song in that concert where Willie sings a duet with Nora. She picks him apart. I don't say that to knock down Willie, Lord knows his age and drug abuse has not done him any favors but that music simply is not his style. They sounded terrible together while at the same time sounding great. To see two great performers up there singing for the love of it was great. As a musician who "lived and breathed" that style of music for the better part of a two decades it was easy to tell who was the outsider.

I love all kinds of music except for current pop (Lady Gaga/Katy Perry crap). I miss the grunge rock of the 90s, HairNation of the 80s and then all the true rock and roll of the 60s and 70s. I honestly feel like I was born in the wrong decade since my true love is big band/swing but I have expanded my taste. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Good description Ed, and definitely a crooner Sofla.

I've liked Buble for a long time. I think the first time I saw him was on that show "Las Vegas" when he appeared as himself, and as soon as I heard him I remember thinking how nobody has had a voice like that since (fittingly) some of the old Vegas show crooners! At the time I wondered how he hasn't blown up into a megastar immediately!

Guess he's found pretty decent success. But makes me a little sad to see the "upper tier" of musical fame belong to the likes of a Beiber or some of the other "fads" that are going on... while timeless talent such as Buble seems to take a back seat.

Then again, maybe I'm getting old and just don't understand what the kids listen to these days /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif (remind me to tell my parents that I'm sorry and I now understand! lol)

Sack

eg8r
12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At the time I wondered how he hasn't blown up into a megastar immediately!
</div></div>He is a megastar in the adult contemporary world but I would not expect him to break out into the pop world too much. I am not saying that he couldn't because basically he has a talent that gives him the ability to be a star in the pop world but why be just another fish in the pond, when he can do what he does and be the "big" fish in the pond, if that makes sense.

What makes him truly unique is that he can do both, the man can flat out sing. But pop stars, for the most part, cannot do what he does.

Wynton Marsalis is another example of a person that can freely pass through different genres with ease and do it so well that the snobs of each genre sit there with mouths dropped open at the skill and mastery in their chosen field. In one year Wynton won music awards in Classical and Jazz. This to my knowledge has never been done before. There are thousands of professionals that can play classical and jazz music but it is so rare when a person comes along and the classical music snobs label him as their own while the jazz music slobs label him as their own also. At this point in time Wynton has chosen to go strictly Jazz but that is not because he has be run out of classical music it is just that Jazz offers him a better chance to express himself (and it probably pays better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ).

Buble I believe is the same way. He probably makes more money as the big fish crooner than he would as the "just another" pop singer.

It was great though seeing him on mainstream TV and introducing so many millions of people to his style of music, a style I fell in love with growing up.

eg8r