PDA

View Full Version : Saving Our Democracy

Qtec
12-10-2011, 01:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Constitution of this country has served us well, but when the Supreme Court says that attempts by the federal government and states to impose reasonable restrictions on campaign ads are unconstitutional, our democracy is in grave danger. That is why I have introduced a resolution in the Senate calling for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I did not do this lightly. In fact, I had never done it before. The U.S. constitution is an extraordinary document. In my view, it should not be amended often. In light of the Supreme Court's infamous 5-to-4 decision in the Citizens United case, however, I saw no alternative.

I strongly disagree with the ruling. In my view, a corporation is not a person. A corporation does not have First Amendment rights to spend as much money as it wants, without disclosure, on a political campaign.
Corporations should not be able to go into their treasuries and spend millions and millions of dollars on a campaign in order to buy elections.

The ruling has radically changed the nature of our democracy. It has further tilted the balance of the power toward the rich and the powerful at a time when the wealthiest people in this country already never had it so good. History will record that the Citizens United decision is one of the worst in the history of our country. </div></div>

See the whole speech here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-bernie-sanders/saving-our-democracy_b_1137783.html)

Finally someone speaks the truth.

I see it now, The United States of Exxon.

Q

LWW
12-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Perhaps you can show us in that document where it says the USA is or ever was a democracy?

Qtec
12-10-2011, 04:11 AM
What system do you use to elect your lawmakers?

What system is it that GW wanted to spread around the world?

How does congress operate?

They take votes don't they? In the olden days, before you had this obstructionist GOP, a majority of votes was all that was needed to pass legislation! I think that qualifies as DEMOCRATIC, don't you?

According to you, the USA is neither Democratic nor Capitalist! Right?

Q

LWW
12-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Just answer the question.

Gayle in MD
12-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Tap Tap Tap! Bernie is great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have got to send a constitutional amendment to the states that says simply and straightforwardly what everyone - except five members of the United States Supreme Court - understands: Corporations are not people with equal constitutional rights. Corporations are subject to regulation by the people. Corporations may not make campaign contributions -- the law of the land for the last century. And Congress and states have the power to regulate campaign finances.

</div></div>

Why is the right so determined to take away the power of we the people, and turn our country into a dying, fascist nation?

"Wrapped in the flag, waving the cross..."

The antithesis of the Founder's intentions.

Very sad. Dangerous isn't a strong enough word, really! The right wants complete destruction of 'equal rights for all'. They attack all but those handing out the bribes, and their entire goal is to disenfranchise all but the wealthy, as completely as they can manage, through this RW Activist, Fascist S.C..

G.