PDA

View Full Version : So where are we at?

Fran Crimi
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Last night a friend reminded me of the thread I started on fixing that one thing that keeps creeping up on us. So where's everyone at with that? Making any progress?

Here's my update: My issue was to be a better ball pocketer. That has been improving as I focus on making sure I give each shot 100 percent of my attention. I've been running 30s consistently and some 40s. Caught a bit of a slump two weeks ago and couldn't run three in a row. It started with playing in different rooms with different equipment. Then I had trouble making the switch back. Then I caught a bad cold and didn't feel right at the table. Now I'm fighting my way back, still hoping to meet my goal of running 50 before year end.

Rich R.
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
The one issue, of many issues, I picked to work on was making long shots. I am not one for doing drills and most of my practice consists of rolling balls out and shooting. Normally, while shooting, I work on my mechanics and cue ball control.
To work on the long shots, after rolling the balls out, I look for the longest makeable shot on the table and that is the shot I take. Then I go for the next longest shot, etc. I do this for a few racks each time I practice.
I still have work to do but I have to admit that my success rate on long shots has gone up and that success has helped me in both my 8-ball league and in my 14.1 league.
I will continue working.

JJFSTAR
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Doing well I have resigned myself to “taking on every shot” also. I have found that there are the 2 really big wasted learning opportunities as I am playing social pool. #1 the high percentage cut shot #2 the duck. I have over the last month when I am faced with the money ball as a high percentage cut shot or a duck not just pocket it but take it as a learning opportunity.

I am “executing a shot” in some way shape or form. I either shoot for a specific side or specifically center pocket, execute a specific leave with action or English (I refer to the vertical axis as action and the horizontal axis as English). I am trying to get myself to NEVER (when I am shooting social pool) to “just make the ball”.

This has done a couple of things for me, most notably it has reduced my “taking a shot for granted” way down in my social game. I have high hopes that this will spill over into better concentration in my competitive game. I have had a few B & R’s in this playoff season and my captain is really happy with my game and has commented that he thinks my game is going up. How is everyone else doing?

Bambu
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I started practicing alot more, feeling pretty good with my center ball. Was rough being away from the game for close to a year. I saw Fran refer to the vertical axis as the "action axis" somewhere(I think). I like that alot, gives a clearer definition to the word.

My other goal was to get better with clusters and combos...knowing where the loose object balls are gonna end up. Gettin better but its tough to gain straight pool skills playing 9 ball. I also finally hooked up an HD video camera this week. Critiquing my own game is helping, and so is playing against a new, better opponent.

Fenwick
12-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I did not chime in on your original post but I did take it to the table. It has improved my game considerably.
It's much easier to get in the zone but I'm still not a world beater.
One of the best little tips paying off large.

Thank you!

I tried sharing it with others but it didn't take sorry to say.

12-14-2011, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had a few B & R’s in this playoff season and my captain is really happy with my game and has commented that he thinks my game is going up.
</div></div>

If you keep beating up on the 4's like that, they might move you higher than a 5 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric

12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Fran,

I didnt reply to the original thread either, but here's my thing:

I've been trying to improve my 10 ball break. In fact, this has been a work in progress for the past 2 years.

I'm trying to emulate the Shane Van Boening break; break from within 1 diamond from center, pop and squat the CB and drive the second row ball into the side pocket and send the 1 ball near the corner pocket you are breaking near. I'm happy to say that while it's slow progress, it is progress. Typically, in 10 racks, I can get the break right about 2 times. Usually, I fall short of breaking the second row ball into hte side pocket. I have the pop and squat down fairly well and if I'm hitting the rack square, I am driving the 1 ball to the right area.

I'm still working on learning to make small adjustments to get the second row ball to do what it's supposed to. Like I said, a work in progress.

Eric

dg-in-centralpa
12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Fran,
Mine was/is staying focused. I have been better at it, but it is still a struggle at times. If I miss my first shot, usually an easy one, I can bear down and stay focused. If I miss a shot in the middle of the game, again a makeable shot, I will lose focus and almost give up. It breaks my concentration.

Duane

Fran Crimi
12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
'Twasn't me who coined the 'action axis' phrase, Bambu. I try not to say anything I can't repeat 5 times fast.

Fran Crimi
12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all the honest responses, everyone. Now, here's the next question. Does anyone here feel you have given it your best efort to fix that one problem?

I can honestly say I have not. I would have to say that I only gave about 60-65 percent attention to fixing it. I plan to now up that percentage to 80-85 percent attention, minimum.

Bambu
12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I havent been able to do it either. I know when I practice I like to run balls. Anything else just leaves me unsatisfied. I end up working on certain shots I miss, but not even enough of that. I guess I get bored quickly, I need the ghost as an opponent.

Fenwick
12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
I feel the need to clarify. When I read the original post I thought the key was to focus 100% on every shot. I guess I was wrong.
I missed or ignored a lot of what other posters problems areas were.

I think I'm much closer then before. Perhaps 70 - 80% but not back to hitting my 20 - 30+ ball runs yet.

Fran Crimi
12-15-2011, 07:55 AM
No Problem. Focusing on ball pocketing can't hurt, anyway.

Rich R.
12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the honest responses, everyone. Now, here's the next question. Does anyone here feel you have given it your best efort to fix that one problem?

I can honestly say I have not. I would have to say that I only gave about 60-65 percent attention to fixing it. I plan to now up that percentage to 80-85 percent attention, minimum.

</div></div>
Fran, I am brutally honest with myself and everyone else. So I have to say, I am and have always been a recreational player and I will never put in the time and effort to solve my problems. I play for enjoyment, I hate repitition and I just cannot bring myself to do drills. However, I do slowly work on my problems, in my own way, and I do improve although at a much slower pace than those willing to put in the time and effort.

Now, with my cards on the table, let me say that I do constantly improve and I'm probably playing some of the best pool of my life.

To refer back to another thread, I hope Jake is reading this.

I am a lowly APA league player but a week ago, for the first time ever, I was bumped up to skill level 7, in 8-ball, which is the top level. I also earned the upper level MVP slot for my division for the second session this year.

BTW, I also do alright in the in-house 14.1 league.

I am especially proud of these accomplishments because my APA division is an in-house league and we play all of our matches on 9' Diamond Pros and Gold Crowns, not bar boxes. Also, I am old enough to be the father of a lot of the players I have beaten to obtain these things.

To stop patting myself on my back and get back to the original question, NO, I have not given it my best effort but I'm good with that. I'll get there. It's just going to take me a little longer. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

dg-in-centralpa
12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Fran,
I can honestly say that I've/I'm giving it my best shot. I know it's a problem and something I definitely want to fix.
Duane

Fran Crimi
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Rich, I think it's all about being honest with ourselves. I have been thinking a lot lately about how much time I feel I should invest in my game. I love to practice but I have other priorities. I don't like to force myself to practice when I think I should be doing something else. That defeats the purpose.

Like you, I'll get to it as I go along. I'm still improving, which is the main thing. I think I can give it another 20 percent, which I will. I think 100 percent is probably reserved for the aspiring pro or for someone who doesn't feel guilty about taking up that much time on the table.

Oh, and congratulations on your recent accomplishments. Good for you!

Sid_Vicious
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I began missing the keeper shots I almost never miss during "the real game" and I decided this old dog was just as good he's gonna get. Total focus on just one main thing messes with me. sid

Rich R.
12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Fran, I think we can both agree that we have found a little balance in our lives and that is a good thing. We have our priorities in order.

And thanks for the congrats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Tony_in_MD
12-16-2011, 05:26 AM
Rich,

Congratulations on the accomplishment.

Fran Crimi
12-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I think it's all in how you approach trying to solve a particular problem. Maybe you haven't found the right formula yet. As long as we are still alive and have a brain in working order, we can improve.

However, sometimes we can get stuck in thinking one particular way, and we either are unwilling or are having difficulty in finding our way out. When that happens to me I tell myself to try to think out of the box --- Approach something in a way I wouldn't have done it before.

Brian in VA
12-16-2011, 08:46 AM
So I think I can say that I've devoted about 60% of my potential to my efforts at better focus. When I walk to the table at league, for example, over half the time I've had a quick chat with myself as I'm walking around the table and I tell myself to give every shot it's full value and attention. This past week, I stepped up and executed a really difficult runout after my opponent missed his first shot from my dry break. It included some pinpoint cue ball positioning and one long shot with 3 rail shape through traffic.

So the answer is, I can do it.....but will I?

Congrats Rich on your recent accomplishments and to you and Fran for finding balance. That is probably my biggest accomplishment, too. I have balance in a very busy life.

Thanks Fran for checking up on us!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
12-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks to Tony and Brian. I know my accomplishments aren't much, as it is only the APA, but it makes me feel good in my little corner of the pool world.

As an APA 7 and MVP, I'm good enough to understand just how bad I am.

JJFSTAR
12-19-2011, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an APA 7 and MVP, I'm good enough to understand just how bad I am.</div></div>

What an absolutely great statement.

Rich R.
12-19-2011, 08:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an APA 7 and MVP, I'm good enough to understand just how bad I am.</div></div>

What an absolutely great statement.
</div></div>
I try to be honest with both myself and everyone else.
I've seen enough great pool to know that I am nowhere near that level.

Brian in VA
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm the same way, Rich. I frequently describe my game as "Momentary flashes of brilliance surrounded by longer periods of abject stupidity."

Merry Christmas to you and Cathy!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm the same way, Rich. I frequently describe my game as "Momentary flashes of brilliance surrounded by longer periods of abject stupidity."

Merry Christmas to you and Cathy!

Brian in VA </div></div>
Brian, I have used a similar statement to describe my game but yours will do. It is all the same. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks Brian and Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

dg-in-centralpa
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Someone on my team pointed out another flaw in me, as if I don't have enough already. But during warm-up, I tend to play more agressive and loose, run racks, etc. Come match time, I can't seem to grasp that same feeling. No matter how hard I try. I am still winning, but not running racks or playing with a carefree attitude, like trying to think that it's only practice.

Duane

Rich R.
12-23-2011, 05:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone on my team pointed out another flaw in me, as if I don't have enough already. But during warm-up, I tend to play more agressive and loose, run racks, etc. Come match time, I can't seem to grasp that same feeling. No matter how hard I try. I am still winning, but not running racks or playing with a carefree attitude, like trying to think that it's only practice.

Duane </div></div>
I'm somewhat the opposite.
I'm not good in practice. I won't say I run a lot of racks (8-ball) but I tend to play a level better during my league matches. In straight pool, my highest runs, which aren't that high, are all in league matches and not in practice.