PDA

View Full Version : AZ Billiards US Open coverage......

nmshooter
09-26-2002, 03:00 AM
sucks. Dont get me wrong, I really like AZ billiards site but their coverage of the US open is very slow. The results, the pics all take forever to load up or go between pages. They should have created another site devoted to US Open coverage and included the information there. Similar to what the World Pool Championships did would have been great. I find myself leaving there site before I can view anythhing because it takes so long.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-26-2002, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> sucks. Dont get me wrong, I really like AZ billiards site but their coverage of the US open is very slow. The results, the pics all take forever to load up or go between pages. They should have created another site devoted to US Open coverage and included the information there. Similar to what the World Pool Championships did would have been great. I find myself leaving there site before I can view anythhing because it takes so long. <hr></blockquote>

Dude I can't believe you're griping about a FREE service /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Think back 25 years and imagine trying to find information like this.

AZB is da bomb.

nmshooter
09-26-2002, 06:59 AM
maybe you failed to read or understand what I wrote. I am not able to view the results as it takes too long to open. I got better things to do than sit around and wait 2 minutes per page only to have it come back with an internal time out error. Free is fine, but if its not working for me then free is all it will ever be to me because I certainly wouldnt pay to see it. The average guy may go to their site to see information about the US Open or pool in general. I went into the gallery to see pictures. Half of them werent captioned so I have no idea who I was looking at. I got results from matches faster on here than I did on AZBilliards.

You can make me out to look like im griping and not grateful, whatever. It doesnt change the fact that I like AZBilliards very much but I think there coverage of this huge event in the billiard world is very poor.

09-26-2002, 07:37 AM
There coverage of the event is outstanding ... Do you see billiardsdigest or pool &amp; billiard covering this tournament offering brackets and updates ? I think not

If YOU are having a problem connecting or viewing the site , try another computer or find somewhere else to go ...

I'd like to personally thank AZ and mike for covering the event for all of us that can't make it ...

eg8r
09-26-2002, 07:40 AM
I love Azbilliards, however I feel sorry for the people with dial up. I think the webmaster should try to do something to get the pages to load quickly, maybe preload all the images or something to that effect.

Great site though. I am not as bothered since I have broadband.

eg8r

nmshooter
09-26-2002, 07:45 AM
I have cable. It wouldnt matter if I was on 56k or T3, If I cant connect to it, its worthless to me. I still think they could have taken a little more time for setting up the coverage of this event.

nmshooter
09-26-2002, 07:48 AM
[quote=Wally_in_Cincy

Dude I can't believe you're griping about a FREE service /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr></blockquote>

Bring your car over and I will paint it for free. Ive never painted anything in my life but, heh, you cant complain, its free.

Chris Cass
09-26-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi nmshooter,

I'll try to get all the results from Kato. He's calling everynight so, this might help those with problems getting them. I know Mike from AZ trys to help us out. He's a good guy. I know your frustration as I had dial up while back.

Regards,

C.C.

nmshooter
09-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Thanks Chris, I know he does a hard job and does a good job. Im just saying that something is slowing there servers down. It seems to be running much better today and the photos seem to be captioned now so I can tell who is in the pictures. I may have jumped the gun a little too soon and not given them time to get things going smoothly and I apologize to him if he reads this board. By the way, as I stated before I am on cable but I dont feel that was the issue but who knows.

Thanks in advance for any results you or anyone else posts on here as it is a very welcome post to me.

nmshooter

Jay M
09-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Something else to keep in mind. Bandwidth is expensive and it is shared among the users. During the US Open, I would expect that the traffic is higher than at most other times of the year. This means that the bandwidth is spread among more users, resulting in slower response times than usual. Even CNN's DS3 (at more than $10,000 a month) couldn't handle the traffic for the OJ simpson trial.

Jay M

09-26-2002, 02:47 PM
This is the first time I was able to know ( with out being there)what is happening there.It is solely because of AZ billiards and pretty faced photographer.By the way last name Marty Sewinski( from Detrot) is mixed up with Marty Herman( from Boston) in one picture.This is only a minor misshap.Coverage is great.Cheers
Vagabond

AzHousePro
09-26-2002, 09:52 PM
NM, our traffic during this event has outweighed any expectations I had. My page views is running at 3 times that of the busiest previous day in our history.

To make matter worse, I am usually busy gathering the info for the site and don't get to spend as much time on it seeing the speed as I would like to.

I have had the server rebooted in case of any memory leak issues and have also changed the photo gallery to bring up the newer pictures before the older ones.

The pics that don't have captions or player names are players that I am not sure of their identity. I am on the tournament floor right now (Alex is beating Rich Matarazzo on one side and Keither the Ether is down one game to Ramil Gallego on the other side). I have a number of pics cued up to go online later tonight and there are some really good ones in the new batch.

I am glad to heard that speed is a little better for you later in the day. I am working as hard as I can on covering this event and making contacts to make the site even better than it is right now.

Mike

09-26-2002, 10:19 PM
The problem may be on your end. I have a five year old computer and a dial up connection and it works fine for me.

Troy
09-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Keep up the great work Mike. Those of us in the know realize the effort you are putting in to cover the Open.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> NM, our traffic during this event has outweighed any expectations I had. My page views is running at 3 times that of the busiest previous day in our history.

To make matter worse, I am usually busy gathering the info for the site and don't get to spend as much time on it seeing the speed as I would like to.

I have had the server rebooted in case of any memory leak issues and have also changed the photo gallery to bring up the newer pictures before the older ones.

The pics that don't have captions or player names are players that I am not sure of their identity. I am on the tournament floor right now (Alex is beating Rich Matarazzo on one side and Keither the Ether is down one game to Ramil Gallego on the other side). I have a number of pics cued up to go online later tonight and there are some really good ones in the new batch.

I am glad to heard that speed is a little better for you later in the day. I am working as hard as I can on covering this event and making contacts to make the site even better than it is right now.

Mike <hr></blockquote>

stickman
09-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Running SW Bell DSL and it loads fine for me. Faster than BD does at times. No problems, I love both sites. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Maybe you should try it when it is not so busy. I suppose you go to a Friday 8 o'clock movie at 10 to 8 and wonder why they are sold out. Sometimes you can't have what you want.

nmshooter
09-27-2002, 03:01 AM
Thanks for responding, it does seem to be running faster. Maybe the boot on your end helped considerably. The times I was accessing seems to be an issue. I guess there are more people up at 4:00am than I thought. Anyhow, thanks for your coverage, it is appreciated regardless of whether it is criticized.

Joe

nmshooter
09-27-2002, 03:05 AM
Well I thought that at first then I went to several test sites to run some tests on my computers speed. Including some bench tests set up by my internet provider. I have cable and at the times I was accessing (4am) I was getting really good speed results. I dont know what the problem was but it seems to have been corrected, at least partially. The brackets and the pics come up much quicker than they did before.

AzHousePro
09-27-2002, 01:49 PM
NM, don't worry about it. I appreciate any honest opinion about the site.

I try to strive for what I would like to see on a billiards website when I am working on AzB. I only know other people's opinions when they voice them.

Mike

09-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Hi Mike,
Has Danny and Santos played yet? If so, could you tell me who won real quick?
I too thiunk you are doing a very good job with the coverage and thankyou.