PDA

View Full Version : A voters' guide to republicans

ugotda7
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
The liberal idiots over here need to watch this.....over and over if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-oS4WLui3Q

Sev
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Well the truth of history should make their heads explode.

Soflasnapper
12-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Decent presentation values, but the guy is spinning way past what the facts will bear.

It's not hard to see the inflection point, where the GOP turned. It has even been acknowledged that they did it, and practiced the so-called Southern Strategy for DECADES, by their own Republican National Committee Chairman. Another RNC chairman has said they do the same thing now with regard to gays.

Yes, maybe this guy just doesn't know his history-- more modern history, that is-- well enough to realize that Republicans like Strom Thurmond or Jesse Helms were Democrats when the Democratic Party harbored most of the virulent racists of the south, and then switched parties after the Civil Rights movement to Republican. As indeed the noted political expert, LBJ, had said would happen, stating that after the Democratic Party pushed through civil rights legislation, they would lose the white vote for a generation. And they have.

So it's cute to go back to the Civil War days, or even more recent times, but '67 is an entire generation or more back from current times, and since those times, the generalizations that HE is pushing have indeed been substantially swapped out, as to the parties. Which he mentions himself, if only to joke about it as if it is impossible, or at least, certainly didn't occur. But it did occur. In America. In the 20th century. Not that long ago, and within the lifetimes of many of us still present today.

One day, his masterful attempt at historical revisionism will find more fertile ground, as people will no longer know from their own experience that telling a history that ends 80 years ago yields an incomplete, and therefore incorrect, historical narrative.

Or, for some here, they've already forgotten, or never knew, and it all seems true to them already.

All hail the harbingers of the brave new world, where cleanup guys like this sanitize the history and make stone-cold racists happy with themselves and their political party.

ugotda7
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for trying.....

Soflasnapper
12-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the tacit admission I succeeded, as well!

ugotda7
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Not at all....there's a reason for the wording in my first post.

Stretch
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not at all....there's a reason for the wording in my first post. </div></div>

Safe to say education was not the reason. St.

ugotda7
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not at all....there's a reason for the wording in my first post. </div></div>

Safe to say education was not the reason. St. </div></div>

It takes a lot to get through to idiots.

Soflasnapper
12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, because there is no more compelling argument that you are not a racist than going back over 140 years and pointing out people from 7 generations ago.

Totally proves the point.

By that same 'reasoning,' next you'll be telling me how the African-Americans are all mainly Republicans, out of gratitude for the non-racist party that the GOP was and has remained.

As you may remember, that was the case some generations back. Most if not all African-Americans were Republicans. Somehow I don't think that's still true now, is it?

What happened? The African-Americans forgot how to identify racists? They were tricked into believing that the GOP was now a racist party? Or just brain damage from demon rum and crack cocaine?

ugotda7
12-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Keep that plantation functioning now......you hear.

Soflasnapper
12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I know you didn't know how to fisk this guy. Everything he said sounds so true, and he's so sincere as well.

But I've given you the tools to see him for what he is-- an engaging and articulate fraud.

He goes back to the 1850s to make his case? And ends the case back then (or, at least, a long time ago)?

Let him go back to the later '60s and Nixon, and explain that one (meaning the Southern Strategy). It is the civil rights act era, and how the parties reacted to that and changed, and how Nixon and the GOP used the reactionary white outrage of the southern states against desegregation, busing, and civil rights in general to demonize the Democrats as the party of the coloreds, that is the historical predicate for how things are perceived on race in this country in modern times. Not the Civil War, where the parties were then, not the ensuing Jim Crow law days, or Dixiecrat days where the southern conservative Democrats split off from the Democratic Party to form a race-based party, but what the GOP did around that time to cement its lock on the presidential race every 4 years.

ugotda7
12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Nothing but an attempt at revisionist history.

Soflasnapper
12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, that is an accurate assessment of what this man has been doing.

To make it more clear, what accurate argument would be made if I were accused of something, and I said in response, 'but my great-great-grandfather...' (fill in the blank)?

Mainly, it would be clear that I was changing the subject, since whatever happened 4 generations ago is hardly responsive to a charge about me in current times. Whatever my forebearers did or did not do.

Soflasnapper
12-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Here's what the most recent past chairman of the Republican National Committee had to say about the historical relationship of the GOP to the African-American community:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earlier this week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele told a group of 200 students at DePaul University that African-Americans "don't have a reason" to vote for Republican candidates.

During his remarks he also acknowledged that for decades the GOP pursued "'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South."

Steele was asked to explain why an African-American should vote Republican at a university-sponsored discussion on the conservative movement. The RNC chairman's response: "You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True."

Steele also discussed with students his own experience being the victim of racial discrimination -- a subject that the he has openly addressed in the past. Steele told TV One's Roland Martin in November that even some of his fellow Republicans are "scared" of him because of his race.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Steele acknowledged his party's failure to reach out and connect with African-Americans and other marginalized communities. "We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," he explained.

Steele went on to make a candid statement about how the disconnect between Republicans and minorities is not new and has been a part of the party's strategy for years.</span> The Chicago-Sun Times reports on what the RNC Chairman had to say:

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton. </span></div></div>