PDA

View Full Version : I am getting glasses...reviews needed

bluey2king
01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Hello;
I am getting progressive glasses bifocal is needed for close up to a arm length away. I see pretty good at distance but I have a minor correction there too.
My Question is what type of glasses work well for pool. I dont want to always be pushing them up higher on my nose when I need to get down on a shot and look thru the top of them.
I was looking at Silhouette 7626 brand with no frame around the lens and no hinge either. They seem to stay snug on my head but that was just at the store without my Rx in the lenses.

I have mono vision now and my left eye is the distant one these glasses will balance my vision which will take some time getting use to but I am ready.

Thank You for your ideas and comments.
Bluey

Tony_in_MD
01-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Look into these

Billiard Glasses (http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/)

I don't have any experience with them, but I know of some past posts on AZ from people that have them. Their opinions were positive.

LWW
01-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I suggest playing with readers if you see OK at a distance.

Rich R.
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
A company named Decot used to make glasses with an adjustable bridge for pool players. I'm not sure if they still do them. I've known a couple of people who had them and they liked them a lot.

If the OP can possibly play pool without his glasses, that is what he should do. There is an optical shift between your eye and the lens that you have to correct for when wearing glasses.
I wear bifocals and I play without them.

dg-in-centralpa
01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Have you thought about bifocal contacts? I have them and they work for me.

DG

Tony_in_MD
01-07-2012, 05:36 AM
How do Bifocal contacts work? I never heard of them.

dg-in-centralpa
01-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Somehow you look through the center for close up and through the outside for distance. I've had them for about a year. I have a stigma on my eye which makes it a little tougher to see up close, like less than 18 inches for me, things are a little distorted. Even without anything to drink. But for distance, I can see much better. Depending on what I'm doing at work, I still use reading glasses, as the writing is very small.

Rich R.
01-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Dwayne, what you have must be a recent inovation in contacts. At one time, they would give you one contact for close up and the other one for distance. They said your brain would make the adjustment. A friend of mine got them and they absolutely drove him crazy and he couldn't see well at any distance. I'm happy to hear they have something better now.

dg-in-centralpa
01-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Could be Rich. It's time for a check up on my eyes. I've had these for a year. I don't think I would have liked one of each kind of contact.
Duane

JoeW
01-09-2012, 12:23 AM
I wore progressive tri-focal lens for many years and bought a pair of billiard glasses referred to by Tony in Md above. They cost about $250.00. I had my eyes examined for $50.00 bucks at Walmart and told the optometrist what I wanted the glasses for. She took .5 diopters off the prescriptions and I sent the script in. The glasses worked perfectly for me at the pool table. I really came to know the meaning of the word “cheaters” when I began to use them. I could see the table like a 16 year old kid (I am 68 now). I started wearing them about five years ago and never played without them though they looked a bit goofy.

This October I had cataract surgery on both eyes. My vision in my left eye went from about 20/30 (corrected) to 20/20 and I have 20/20 (corrected) in my right eye. It has been about three months and I am still getting used to the new tri-focal progressive implanted lens that the doctor placed in my eyes. I no longer wear glasses for anything.

However, I have been in a bad slump for about two months (since surgery) and only in the last few days has it occurred to me what has been going on.

My brain has for many years compensated for the poor vision in my left eye. I thought it best to learn to play with my eyes centered on the cue stick because my brain “knows” how to compensate. This has worked for me and my shot making ability was better than most of the people I play with.

With my “new” eyes my brain has continued to compensate for the poor left eye ability until it occurred to me (and my brain) a few days ago. It is difficult to explain but I have had to learn to place equal emphasis on both eyes. I am still not as consistent as I was but it is getting better. I have a tendency to relapse back to placing too much emphasis on the right eye unless I really concentrate on “seeing” equally well with both eyes. When I concentrate I can now play like I used to play. When my concentration lapses momentarily I often miss a relatively straight in shot.

In summary, I think the billiard glasses are very much worth while. However, I also think that you need to learn to get used to the improved vision and this may not be as easily accomplished as it may seem. It takes awhile for your brain (vision center) to get used to a modification.

Incidentally, the cataract surgery was also worthwhile. Though it is taking me a few months to get used to the improved visual acuity I am sure it will come in time if I continue to work at it. The use of our eyes for playing pool and the required enhanced acuity is not a subject that has been well studied. I think it is more complex than is usually discussed.

BTW a few years ago my eyes were changing and I had to get new glasses. The people at Sam's Club were quite helpful with the Billiard Glasses. I explained what they were and the perscription differences. They had new lenses made for my old frames for a nominal fee. If your eyes change later it is a simple matter to get new lens for the old glasses.

cushioncrawler
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Joe -- I got new billiards-spex a few years ago -- the noze support iz low down so that the spex sit very hi -- and they are rimless, titanium.
Anyhow, theze spex are the best i hav ever played with -- but the main thing iz that i wear them all day every day at home and outside and when i am driving -- but i dont need them for reading, i am near-sighted. But everyone laughs at me koz they look funny (gulp)(or it might be my fat head).

In the past the main problem with billiards-spex haz been that they aint much good for say one hour after u put them on -- the balls dont look round -- not a problem no more.
mac.

JoeW
01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Now they look round but they are not ! :-)

cushioncrawler
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
This iz them. The optician designed the shape. I got him to place the noze piece much lower than uzual. I think they are anti-glare, karnt remember.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/PICT0559.jpg

eg8r
01-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't have any experience with any sport related glasses but my recommendation is for you to try on different pairs and bend over into your shooting position. Make sure that without having to move your head your eyes are always looking through the glass and you can see as far as you normally would without the glasses.

I have a pair of glasses that I wear but they are more stylish than function, meaning they have very tiny wire rim and the actual glass is pretty small. When I bend down to shoot if I have to look down table at all, my eyes actually look above the glasses. I have to actually move my head which is too much distraction. I would end up playing without my glasses. Now that I have contacts that is not a problem.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Glasses or not i find that at the beginning of a game it takes a while to get the 2 eyes working together when down, unless praps u are one of thems players who kan fully tilt their head -- but it iz probly even more of an issue if wearing glasses (with due respekt to players with only one eye, and any players with 3 eyes, and players with 2 heads).
mac.

JoeyA
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Can you provide a link or contact information for these particular glasses?
thanks,
JoeyA

Joe -- I got new billiards-spex a few years ago -- the noze support iz low down so that the spex sit very hi -- and they are rimless, titanium.
Anyhow, theze spex are the best i hav ever played with -- but the main thing iz that i wear them all day every day at home and outside and when i am driving -- but i dont need them for reading, i am near-sighted. But everyone laughs at me koz they look funny (gulp)(or it might be my fat head).

In the past the main problem with billiards-spex haz been that they aint much good for say one hour after u put them on -- the balls dont look round -- not a problem no more.
mac.

DiabloViejo
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

JoeyA
07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

I'm sorry. I don't think this link shows the photo of the glasses used by cushioncrawler. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Thanks!

cushioncrawler
07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Can you provide a link or contact information for these particular glasses? thanks, JoeyAI saw a guy wearing theze at a local 8ball tournament and he told me he gottem at a place near melbourne and i went there and they tested my eyes etc and i ordered the spex etc and they arrived a few weeks later -- cost about $400.
Any maker kan make em. The optician/optometryst uzed hiz own lens shape dezign (probly not important).
I got him to drill the metalwork lower in the lenses (lower than hiz uzual lower).
I got him to place the optikal centers high up (karnt be dunn for some preskriptions).
I got him to place the optikal center in the righthandlens a bit left of center (i am righthanded).
I shood hav asked him to uze longer legs holding the nozepads -- koz the lenses are a bit too low (i might go to my local mechanic and get him to lengthen thems). In the meantime i uze stickon soft pads to raize the glasses a few mm.
I asked the nice eyetester if i kood hav the lenses ok for say 1.5m but she sayd that i hadta choose either 1.2m or 2.4m (karnt remember) -- i think i choze 2.4m (karnt remember).
I wear the glasses all day every day (if u wear glasses only to play then the balls dont look round till u hav lost the game).
Here iz me hitting a ball.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/2013_06_15_0274_zpsf60f9232.jpg (http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/cushioncrawler/media/2013_06_15_0274_zpsf60f9232.jpg.html)
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/2013_06_15_0271aaa_zps90b075d4.jpg (http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/cushioncrawler/media/2013_06_15_0271aaa_zps90b075d4.jpg.html)

WV Slim Shady
07-05-2013, 04:55 PM
What is that thing you have wrapped on your cus shaft.

cushioncrawler
07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Thats 4oz of sheet lead i hav araldited to the shaft.
Cue = 18oz (9.75mm made by Jing Xing). Lead on shaft = 4oz. Homemade skrew-on wt (solder) on end of butt = 4oz. Total wt = 27oz.
The wts i think dumbdown my inkonsistant wobbly stroke and dumbdown skrew and pace.
mac.

JoeyA
07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
If I might impose on you one more time, cushioncrawler, can you tell me what the mm measurements are for your glasses in height and width?
thanks,
JoeyA

cushioncrawler
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Lenses are 48mm wide at the metalwork (shapes are a bit squarish and a bit circular, probly not important).
Lenses are 49mm high at centers (18mm iz below metalwork, 31mm iz above).
Space tween lenses iz 19mm (overall W=116mm).
Metalwork iz titanium, very flexible. I bend some yaw and twist and dive into the left and right arms to help the glasses sit more horizontally with respekt to the horizon and my line of sight. Hope that helps.
mac.

JoeyA
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!
JoeyA

Bambu
07-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Lookin good. Nice to finally see you in action, Mac!

cushioncrawler
07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Might see some billiards action if i spend more time praktising and less time reading up on aether theory (cahill crothers ranzan) and krappynomix stuff and athiest stuff. The 2013 local league kix off tomorrow nite in our new billiard room at the local airport -- this iz going to be my year.
mac.