PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article On Income Inequality!

Gayle in MD
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> According to the CIA’s World Factbook, which uses the so-called “Gini coefficient,” a common economic indicator of inequality, the United States ranks as far more unequal than the European Union and the United Kingdom. The United States is in the company of developing countries — just behind Cameroon and Ivory Coast and just ahead of Uganda and Jamaica.

Democratic leaders, whose constituents have expressed more alarm over the divide, have used the phenomenon to justify their policies, such as universal health care.

</div></div>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/e...9jaH_story.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/with-executive-pay-rich-pull-away-from-rest-of-america/2011/06/13/AGKG9jaH_story.html)

Don't miss the graph.

cushioncrawler
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
I dont entirely agree.
Inequality iznt important, or shoodnt be.

No1 thing. What iz important iz that peeple near the bottom hav a good and happy existance -- ie that they hav at least all of the basics -- that iz the No1 thing.

No2 thing. The No2 thing iz equality with the joneses etc -- ie do the joneses hav a bigger boat in their carport.

No3 thing. The richness of the super-rich iz No3 -- super-richness iz not a worry if the No1 thing iz ok.
mac.

LWW
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
What the report ignores is that the poor in America do far better than the poor in the other nations mentioned ... and the US poor do better than the middle, and sometimes upper, class in many nations.

What rattles the left's collectivist cage is that the US system allows people to become uber wealthy while keeping the poor in better shape than most all, if not all, other nations ... IOW, some Americans have money that can be extorted to buy votes with and they don't want the state to have it.

cushioncrawler
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Anyone with a boat allways looks with envy at the bigger faster boats going past theirs.

I floated my diy-ply-sectionable-nesting-outrigger-pole'punt on my brother's dam the other day.
It glides along with nary a ripple -- in fakt most of the ripples kum from the outrigger -- and the outrigger iz a 3m length of 110mm thick black poly pipe that i salvaged from the bush near here when it woz left there by a goldmining company that folded a few years ago.

In fakt i only 100% uzed leftover materials from our new house. I uzed mainly leftover bracing ply. And leftover oregon (from canada). And leftover decking stain. Alltho i did buy some new stainless skrews and bolts -- even tho i had tons of leftover skrews and bolts.

But poling iznt az good az i thort -- not with an outrigger -- and brother's dam iz too deep too, 3m in middle.
But paddling iz eeeeezy -- uzing my leftover oars from my last effort. But yesterday i made my own paddle blades (leftover ply) and theze shood proov great.

So, u will get to see my stand-up-paddling style next week, after the official launch on the local lake. Karnt wait. I would go today but the weather iz a it iffy.
mac.

Gayle in MD
01-07-2012, 10:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont entirely agree.
Inequality iznt important, or shoodnt be.

No1 thing. What iz important iz that peeple near the bottom hav a good and happy existance -- ie that they hav at least all of the basics -- that iz the No1 thing.

<span style="color: #990000">Mac, that's impossible if we are to be under Repiglican leadership.

Their opinion is that if you can't find a job in the middle of the Bush Recession, then starve! Michele Bachmann. Or if you aren't working, you just need to take a bath, and get a job. Newt. Or if you are ill, or in an accident, and can't afford insurance, then die. These people have no conscience, and no regard for those who are struggling to get by in this Bush Recession. their goal is to continue to redistribute wealth to the top wealthiest in the country, annd to hell with all of the rest. </span>

No2 thing. The No2 thing iz equality with the joneses etc -- ie do the joneses hav a bigger boat in their carport.

No3 thing. The richness of the super-rich iz No3 -- super-richness iz not a worry if the No1 thing iz ok.
mac.

<span style="color: #990000">Your last point is again, impossible, under REpiglican philosophies of allowing all of the corporate and cEO greed and corruption, pollution and destruction of the planet, as long as the wealthy top CEO's are hoarding all of the wealth, and laying off Amiercan Workers here, so that they can get slave laboe in other countries and hide their money offshore.

In short, they are greedy crooks, without conscience, and sacrifice the good of the nation, in order to pander further to the wealthy, and they remove voting rights, personal human rights, accountability for polluters and thieves in the financial industry, and take away every crust of bread, or medical care, for poor, the old and the hungry that they can get away with, while they force their "Religious" BS donw everyone else's throats.

Does that sound like Democracy to you?

G. </span> </div></div>

llotter
01-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I am also very troubled by the rapidly growing income inequality but place the blame squarely on the leftist Democrats who have essentially legalized thievery with their redistribution polices and done every possible to undermine our religious heritage.

llotter
01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
How do you respond to the argument that the poor in this country are only relatively well-off because of the redistribution policies of the Democrats, otherwise they would be dying in the streets?

Gayle in MD
01-07-2012, 12:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also very troubled by the rapidly growing income inequality but place the blame squarely on the leftist Democrats who have essentially legalized thievery with their redistribution polices and done every possible to undermine our religious heritage. </div></div>

The income inequality has been the result of almost complete Repiglican control in this country since Ronald Bozo Reagan, began to push through The Shock Doctrine, attack workers rights, break the laws of this country, and get away with it, and destroy inclusion and acceptance among the people, and Grover Norquist, started leading you righties around by the nose.

Keeping the likes of you from murdering people who don't buy into your BS religious philosophies, and protecting our children from your zealotry, is not undermining your religious heritage. Nobody care what you think, just don't continue to try to fuse the government to force what you think upon all others.

You have no right to seek to force your religious ideas, on everyone elses. That is the hallmark of Repiglican policies, dictating to all else, what they can and cannot do in their own private, personal lives, and spreading hate and divisive rhetoric, to turn people against one another.

Repiglicans have sought to destroy the Separation of chhurch and State for decades, and it's going to come to an end. More and more Americans are rejecting the whole scene of organized religion.

Religious Zealots and dictators, are coming into minority, not soon enough for me.

G.

LWW
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you respond to the argument that the poor in this country are only relatively well-off because of the redistribution policies of the Democrats, otherwise they would be dying in the streets? </div></div>

If we shut down the welfare state cold ... we probably would have people dying in the streets.

The reason is that the welfare state has deprived millions of the basic skills with which they can survive and thrive.

A good analogy would be a lion raised in the wild vs a lion raised in a zoo.

The African lion will never go hungry as it has all the physical ability to be a top of the food chain type ... and learned the skills to use those abilities as a cub.

The zoo lion however could not long survive in the wild as it never learned the hunting skills it would need.

eg8r
01-07-2012, 11:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mac, that's impossible if we are to be under Repiglican leadership.
</div></div>Well applied theory shows us it doesn't work under Obama leadership either.

eg8r