PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama as a "crony capitalist,

Qtec
01-07-2012, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Mitt Romney, who secured a $10 million federal bailout for Bain, calls Obama a 'crony capitalist'</span>

http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/3/Romney_cash.jpeg

Another day, another calculated attack from Mitt Romney ... and this time he is trying to sound just like Michele Bachmann:

Mitt Romney on Thursday labeled President Barack Obama as a "crony capitalist," invoking a theme that Rep. Michele Bachmann used before she left the presidential race.

"This president is a crony capitalist. He's a job killer," the former Massachusetts governor said during a morning town hall meeting here. "This president has engaged and is engaging in crony capitalism."

Bachmann used similar language before she dropped out of the race Wednesday after a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses.

If I had a dollar for every time Michele Bachmann called President Obama a crony capitalist, I'd be able to pay for the Bush tax cuts she and Mitt Romney are fighting for. But in a quick search of Nexis, I couldn't find an example of Romney using that sort of language. Now she's out of the race, however, and to woo her supporters, Romney is robotically parroting her lines.

But even though Mitt Romney is supposedly smarter than Michele Bachmann, the attack doesn't make any more sense when he says it than when she does. I can understand why conservatives might not like President Obama's policies, but he's not corrupt. Not even Darrell Issa has been able to come up with anything that remotely supports such a claim.

And while Bachmann at least voted against TARP, giving her some standing to use the rhetoric of crony capitalism, Romney not only supported it, but has personally benefited from what Bachmann would certainly call "crony capitalism." <span style='font-size: 14pt'>In 1991, he convinced the federal government to forgive $10 million in debts owed by Bain & Co., a deal that helped prevent his company from failing and ultimately made him millions of dollars.</span> Via Nexis, here's a story about it published on October 25, 1994 in The Boston Globe:

Republican Senate nominee Mitt Romney's rescue of a business consulting firm was achieved in part by convincing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>to forgive roughly $ 10 million of the company's debts</span>, according to sources close to the deal and federal records obtained by The Boston Globe.

Romney, whose business acumen has been the cornerstone of his campaign, has said saving the Bain & Co. consulting firm from the brink of bankruptcy in 1991 was the accomplishment that most convinced him he had the mettle to be a US senator.

Bain & Co. and the FDIC agreed to the deal after months of intense negotiations. Moreover, bankers say debt forgiveness is relatively routine when a company is at risk of collapse.

But the $ 10 million cost to the FDIC raises the question of whether Romney's success, as well as the resurrection of Bain & Co., came partially at the expense of the federal agency that protects US bank deposits.

No doubt Mitt Romney would defend that $10 million in federal aid to Bain & Co. as having prevented the bankruptcy of his firm and as having saved hundreds of jobs. But the corollary of that argument is that Mitt Romney saved Bain & Co. with a $10 million bailout from the federal government—and given that fact, he's the last person on Earth who should be accusing anybody of crony capitalism. </div></div>

This is the guy who says he is 'also unemployed' and has claimed that teachers make more than "we do!"

Mitt has a house fore sale!

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/mitt-romney-sells-two-of_n_167601.html)

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/998/slide_998_16551_large.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/998/slide_998_16553_large.jpg

Its a hard life .

Yes, that's one house.

Q

Gayle in MD
01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Mitt Romney, who secured a $10 million federal bailout for Bain, calls Obama a 'crony capitalist'</span>

http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/3/Romney_cash.jpeg

Another day, another calculated attack from Mitt Romney ... and this time he is trying to sound just like Michele Bachmann:

Mitt Romney on Thursday labeled President Barack Obama as a "crony capitalist," invoking a theme that Rep. Michele Bachmann used before she left the presidential race.

"This president is a crony capitalist. He's a job killer," the former Massachusetts governor said during a morning town hall meeting here. "This president has engaged and is engaging in crony capitalism."

Bachmann used similar language before she dropped out of the race Wednesday after a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses.

If I had a dollar for every time Michele Bachmann called President Obama a crony capitalist, I'd be able to pay for the Bush tax cuts she and Mitt Romney are fighting for. But in a quick search of Nexis, I couldn't find an example of Romney using that sort of language. Now she's out of the race, however, and to woo her supporters, Romney is robotically parroting her lines.

But even though Mitt Romney is supposedly smarter than Michele Bachmann, the attack doesn't make any more sense when he says it than when she does. I can understand why conservatives might not like President Obama's policies, but he's not corrupt. Not even Darrell Issa has been able to come up with anything that remotely supports such a claim.

And while Bachmann at least voted against TARP, giving her some standing to use the rhetoric of crony capitalism, Romney not only supported it, but has personally benefited from what Bachmann would certainly call "crony capitalism." <span style='font-size: 14pt'>In 1991, he convinced the federal government to forgive $10 million in debts owed by Bain & Co., a deal that helped prevent his company from failing and ultimately made him millions of dollars.</span> Via Nexis, here's a story about it published on October 25, 1994 in The Boston Globe:

Republican Senate nominee Mitt Romney's rescue of a business consulting firm was achieved in part by convincing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>to forgive roughly $ 10 million of the company's debts</span>, according to sources close to the deal and federal records obtained by The Boston Globe.

Romney, whose business acumen has been the cornerstone of his campaign, has said saving the Bain & Co. consulting firm from the brink of bankruptcy in 1991 was the accomplishment that most convinced him he had the mettle to be a US senator.

Bain & Co. and the FDIC agreed to the deal after months of intense negotiations. Moreover, bankers say debt forgiveness is relatively routine when a company is at risk of collapse.

But the $ 10 million cost to the FDIC raises the question of whether Romney's success, as well as the resurrection of Bain & Co., came partially at the expense of the federal agency that protects US bank deposits.

No doubt Mitt Romney would defend that $10 million in federal aid to Bain & Co. as having prevented the bankruptcy of his firm and as having saved hundreds of jobs. But the corollary of that argument is that Mitt Romney saved Bain & Co. with a $10 million bailout from the federal government—and given that fact, he's the last person on Earth who should be accusing anybody of crony capitalism. </div></div>

This is the guy who says he is 'also unemployed' and has claimed that teachers make more than "we do!"

Mitt has a house fore sale!

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/mitt-romney-sells-two-of_n_167601.html)

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/998/slide_998_16551_large.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/998/slide_998_16553_large.jpg

Its a hard life .

Yes, that's one house.

Q
</div></div>

He is being booed again today.

LOL...he's a joke! Such a colossal LIAR!

Bachmann, another joke. Yapping about government hand out's, saying the hungry who can't find a job, should starve. Then calling herself a "Christian" while she's cashing her government Subsidy checks!!

A Party of irrational, dishonest, extremists, who want to dictate their views into laws, that reach inside our bedrooms, and doctor's offices!

They MUST be stopped! That Supreme Court Decision must be overturned! It was wrong.

G.

cushioncrawler
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
The fundamentals of the constitution are sound.
Funny how the candidates sound mental.
Sounds like mentals hav fun.
Who funds the mentals.
mac.

eg8r
01-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Well when you don't have a job you have to sell the house. At least he is trying to sell it instead of just giving it back to the bank and walking away.

eg8r

Qtec
01-08-2012, 12:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well when you don't have a job you have to sell the house.</div></div>

LOL. Its not THE house, this is just ONE!

If you had read the link....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOSTON-- Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is selling two of his homes.

A spokesman for the former Massachusetts governor says Romney and his wife, Ann, have put their 9,500-square-foot Deer Valley, Utah ski lodge on the market for $5.25 million, and are also selling the suburban Boston home where they raised their five sons. The 6,400-square-foot
Colonial on 2.5 acres in Belmont is expected to fetch about $3 million.

Spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said the Romneys are "downsizing and simplifying."

The Romneys still own a <u>$10 million home on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro, N.H. and a $12 million beachfront compound in La Jolla, Calif.</u>

Fehrnstrom said the couple intends to buy a condominium in the Boston area. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At least he is trying to sell it instead of just giving it back to the bank and walking away.

eg8r </div></div>

You think he can't afford to pay the mortgage? LMFAO
He probably doesn't even have one. Why do you think he won't show his tax returns?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear old Mitt Romney <u>is worth over $250 million,</u> so he can mail himself a check for thousands of dollars as a reward for picking his nose if the fancy should strike him. But here he is <u>in his finest “real worker” costume</u> lecturing steel workers about his glue-snorting theory that federal government employees are “making a lot more money than we are.” Whoever the fictional “we” is in that sentence, they are probably cool enough not to do up the top button on their plaid work shirts, unlike Mitt Romney.

</div></div>

link (http://wonkette.com/455834/gazillionaire-mitt-romney-whines-govt-employees-earn-more-than-he-does)

Q

eg8r
01-08-2012, 02:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. Its not THE house, this is just ONE!
</div></div>When you don't have a job you have to give up the house. At least he is not walking away from it and giving it back to the bank.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
More than likely, HE IS THE BANK (for this house). By which I mean there is an excellent chance it's fully paid for.

eg8r
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think so. Many people thing rich people pay stuff off but that just is not often the case. It might be in this case but without any proof my bet is that it is still being financed.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
01-08-2012, 05:54 PM
We'd know, if Romney would only do the customary thing, and reveal his tax returns (except that since he owns more than two houses, only two mortgage interest payments can be deductible).

We could still find out if he has ANY mortgages, and if none show up as mortgage interest deductions, probably they are all paid for.

I'm assuming that the LDS have teachings about being out of debt, and that Romney follows the LDS teachings.

Qtec
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'd know, if Romney would only do the customary thing, and reveal his tax returns </div></div>

If he gets the nomination, this will be the first thing they hammer him on. Its not the wealth that's the problem, its the fact [ I suspect ] that he pays a lower rate of tax than the guy who drives the campaign bus.

Q

LWW
01-09-2012, 04:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'd know, if Romney would only do the customary thing, and reveal his tax returns </div></div>

If he gets the nomination, this will be the first thing they hammer him on. Its not the wealth that's the problem, its the fact [ I suspect ] that he pays a lower rate of tax than the guy who drives the campaign bus.

Q </div></div>

Oddly that never bothered you about John Edwards ... or that JOE BIDEN (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/VPOTUStaxes.pdf) underpaid his taxes during the year.