PDA

View Full Version : On the Nature of Things

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 04:34 AM
.....the universe is made of an infinite number of atoms ....... moving randomly through space, like dust motes in a sunbeam, colliding, hooking together, forming complex structures, breaking apart again, in a ceaseless process of creation and destruction. There is no escape from this process. ... There is no master plan, no divine architect, no intelligent design.

All things, including the species to which you belong, have evolved over vast stretches of time. The evolution is random, though in the case of living organisms, it involves a principle of natural selection. That is, species that are suited to survive and to reproduce successfully, endure, at least for a time; those that are not so well suited, die off quickly. But nothing from our own species, to the planet on which we live, to the sun that lights our day lasts forever. Only the atoms are immortal ...

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I see 2 obvious mistakes abov. Atoms are not immortal.
And the canoe (kayak) in the pix iz proof of intelligent design.
The seat iz a brilliant innovation, it iz soft and shapely and provides flotation.
The designer haz uzed kutting edge hydrodynamik theory to design a canoe that iz allmost az fast going sideways az it iz going forwards, while providing a kutting edge on eech side -- ordinary canoes fail this test.
The canoe kan be seen on ebay.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/punt/tinnny.jpg

LWW
01-08-2012, 05:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....the universe is made of an infinite number of atoms ....... moving randomly through space</div></div>

Your argument fell apart right there.

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 05:54 AM
This design sits at the upper limit of manoeuvrability -- while prooving that all boats need a bow, but dont need a stern.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/punt/puss2.jpg

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 05:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....the universe is made of an infinite number of atoms ....... moving randomly through space</div></div>Your argument fell apart right there.</div></div>Yes -- the bizness re an infinite number of atoms iz ok, what with the universe being infinite -- but the bit about mooving randomly through space iz of course not exaktly korrekt.
mac.

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Thanx to evolution, some caterpillars now hav an aquatik phaze.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/punt/TUHHSnelda_2.jpg

LWW
01-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Mac, with all due respect, you are my favorite lunatic here.

eg8r
01-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Why? What part are you having the problem with, the infinite number of atoms or the randomness?

We don't know for sure if he is wrong or right since there is no concrete proof of anything at this point.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why? What part are you having the problem with, the infinite number of atoms or the randomness? We don't know for sure if he is wrong or right since there is no concrete proof of anything at this point. eg8r</div></div>I dont entirely like randomness -- mainly koz a number of forces act on mass and charge etc -- and so particles are largely influenced by forces, in a random overall way.

There must be an infinite number of atoms -- partly koz there must be an infinite number of universes -- alltho universe probly meens different things to different peeple.

Me myself i dont beleev that there iz any matter nor any atoms -- theze are just the way that forces in the aether manifest -- but i wouldnt expekt Lucretius to understand this stuff.
mac.