PDA

View Full Version : Pool Players Headache

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I've been having headaches in the back of the head recently and decided to research it for causes. I was surprised to find that there was actually a syndrome related to playing pool. You ever heard about this before? I doubt pool is my problem unless the condition is progressive, even though 6 hours sessions are normal for me. My pains don't associate themselves with pool sessions. sid

"People who play pool for prolonged periods of time may experience pain in the head and neck after playing for between 3-6 hours.

There is one report of this, and the problem is presumably from the joints of the neck, such as over extension at the atlanto-axial joint.

This is probably a form of cervicogenic headache."

cushioncrawler
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Never had a headache. But i hav had sore neck -- sore shoulders -- one year i strained my left buttock on the first day and it didnt get better all season.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never had a headache. But i hav had sore neck -- sore shoulders -- one year i strained my left buttock on the first day and it didnt get better all season.
mac. </div></div>

Don't get me wrong,,,I fall apart just getting out of the car when I get home after a long playing session session, usually at 3am, but headaches were not a memorable part of it. It was just new to me to see the term "Pool Player's Headache" in a Google about headaches in the back of the head. I'd never thunk it.

Just to be fair for myself here, when I fall apart after a 6+ hour session, I am seriously talking about one-on-one battling just one player in 9-ball sets, non stop. I could still keep playing if the joint wasn't closing up. My body doesn't know that it's wore out until about an hour later after closing down. That is odd, don't ya thing? sid

Fran Crimi
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Maybe these can help:

1.) Check your stance. Do you have one foot substantially more in front of the other? A good gauge is the toe of the back foot level with the instep of the front foot. That will decrease strain on your neck as you won't be twisting it so much to look over your shoulder as you shoot.

2.) The other thing is clenching your teeth as you shoot. Many players pick up this habit without realizing it. That can give you a headache if you do it long enough.

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
No. I have none of these Fran. I seriously doubt that my discovery of an actual condition of pool player's headaches has anything to do with my individual case. If anything, these damned cigarettes are giving me a sinus problem, as I've developed an enormous habit of chain smoking the things when I play for cash. As far as the teeth clenching thoughts...I have almost no clinching now, but I did for a big part of my last few years.

I can see where you are coming from though. In my case everything mentioned could all be a factor since I'm getting OLD! Age kinda skews things. sid

Bambu
01-12-2012, 08:39 AM
By 4 am after a long battle we are all shot, its just business as usual. Sleep deprivation, exhaustion, mental stamina too, they all play a part. I know after around 12-1 am I am pretty much done. No headaches but I just cant focus the same way anymore. The older you get, the earlier you gotta quit.