PDA

View Full Version : Just checking in...

sack316
01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Hope everyone is doing well!

I've had an excellent several weeks, many details I will have to wait and share later. But know that my life has been full of wonderful blessings coming one after the other. Still several hurdles to get over, but all in all life in general is on the right track.

Some of the more important news that I can share at this time... Sack is gainfully employed in a steady climate once again. I still plan to do my lawn care on the side, though.

But as I struggled, fought, and worked my ass off to right the wrongs of my past and build my life back up to where it should be... I must admit I got frustrated and disenchanted with the whole system.

As many of you know, I made some mistakes in my past. Mistakes I owned up for and took full accountability for. Back in 2008 I lost my "steady" job and spent the last several years struggling and just doing what I had to do in order to get by.

In that time I managed to go back and finish my college education. I survived on my own, very poor, but survived without any government assistance I may have been qualified for.

Finally, after countless applications for the last 3 plus years, something finally came through.

Not only a good job, but one which pays me above the median salary average, provides great benefits, and a VERY favorable schedule.

Where, you ask? That evil empire of Wal-Mart. And granted I'm a little green to the company, and gung-ho out of excitement for my new job... but in all honesty it's a great place to work!

Not only for me in a relatively high store-level position, but everyone. I've spent the last 2 weeks "training" just talking to employees... I have yet to hear a bad word about the company as a whole. The normal retail complaints, sure... but in speaking about the company there was not a single negative comment.

It has truly shocked me!

I'll have more insight in the next few weeks, but thus far from my look from the inside I'd have to say the company gets a bad rap, a very unfair bad rap (I don't exclude myself from the bad rap group either, mind you).

The next month I'll spend out of town with more training, meeting some higher ups and visiting different centers. We'll see how my opinion wavers once I spend some time out of my little area.

Hope everyone is well!

Sack

Sev
01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Good luck manning the sample cart. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good to see you back Sack.

LWW
01-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Congratulations.

Many in the same situation would have bought into the victim mindset and found comfort in becoming a ward of the state.

llotter
01-14-2012, 07:50 AM
It is interesting to note that the availability of public assistance essentially kills 'character building opportunities'. Good character comes from facing and overcoming the everyday problems, thus building up the reservoir of qualities that enable you to deal with the bigger issues that people must confront periodically. If having good 'character' is what makes a good society, then we ought not diminish the normal challenges that life presents.

LWW
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is interesting to note that the availability of public assistance essentially kills 'character building opportunities'. Good character comes from facing and overcoming the everyday problems, thus building up the reservoir of qualities that enable you to deal with the bigger issues that people must confront periodically. If having good 'character' is what makes a good society, then we ought not diminish the normal challenges that life presents. </div></div>

BRAVO!

There is a huge difference between giving someone a hand up and a handout.

Soflasnapper
01-15-2012, 01:16 PM
thus far from my look from the inside I'd have to say the company gets a bad rap, a very unfair bad rap

With the annual turnover stated as 70%, others may disagree, and are certainly voting with their feet.

sack316
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thus far from my look from the inside I'd have to say the company gets a bad rap, a very unfair bad rap

With the annual turnover stated as 70%, others may disagree, and are certainly voting with their feet. </div></div>

Could be. Thus far I've only seen "inside" my own store. I see a lot of 15-20 year employees there. And several people who have left, only to come back.

I certainly won't say it's perfect... but the culture and attitude of the company being reflected to me (as management) towards the associates is a very employee friendly approach.

Maybe they're reacting to some heat that has come down in recent years. But in my short time I'm very impressed with how they are taking care of currently, or at least addressing, many associate satisfaction needs. Much better than any other retail store I've worked with before.

I'm not a staunch Wal-Mart defender, I actually joked with others about how I took a position there because I always swore I never would.

Sack

eg8r
01-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Great news!!! You do know that now your opinion doesn't count since you are "on the take". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-16-2012, 03:42 AM
How does Walmart's "70%" compare to Kmart or Target? Or retail on the whole?

What is the breakdown of the 70%? What percentage are minimum wage workers? What is that comparison to the same industry? What precentage are salaried employees? Comparison across industry?

eg8r

Qtec
01-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Put it this way, the average wage in 1967, adjusted for inflation , is the same as today!

In the last 30 years, the average wage has gone down, and the average wage for the 1% executives, has gone through the roof!

That's a fact.

Q

LWW
01-16-2012, 04:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thus far from my look from the inside I'd have to say the company gets a bad rap, a very unfair bad rap

With the annual turnover stated as 70%, others may disagree, and are certainly voting with their feet. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you make a claim, you post a link.

Q </div></div>

LWW
01-16-2012, 04:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put it this way, the average wage in 1967, adjusted for inflation , is the same as today!

In the last 30 years, the average wage has gone down, and the average wage for the 1% executives, has gone through the roof!

That's a fact.

Q </div></div>

Actually ... it's a myth.

LWW
01-16-2012, 04:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does Walmart's "70%" compare to Kmart or Target? Or retail on the whole?

What is the breakdown of the 70%? What percentage are minimum wage workers? What is that comparison to the same industry? What precentage are salaried employees? Comparison across industry?

eg8r </div></div>

Your first error was to accept leftist mythology at face vale.

Now, to slay the myth and answer your question:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wal-Mart has the highest employee turnover rate of industry, over 50% the first year. This translates into approximately 50,000 employees per month.</div></div>

Sofa jumps the shark with a figure of 140% of what WWW.OPPOSEWALMART.COM (http://www.opposewalmart.com/walmyths.html) claims.

OTOH, using a more balanced source:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The average retailer has a 60 percent employee turnover rate, meaning it would need to replace that percentage of its workforce over the course of a year, according to Rowley. That compares with as much as 90 percent before the economic slump, he said.</div></div>

We find that the industry average is between 120% and 180% of WALMART's rate.

BY LENIN'S BEARD ... HOW CAN THIS BE? (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/wal-mart-to-end-extra-pay-for-sunday-shifts-in-2011-as-duke-targets-costs.html)

eg8r
01-16-2012, 05:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your first error was to accept leftist mythology at face vale.

</div></div>I haven't accepted anything just asking him to validate the number. I know from my time a while back the retail industry as high turn over rates in the lower levels no matter what job it is.

eg8r

eg8r
01-16-2012, 05:19 AM
However nothing you have said has anything to do with the discussion. Now that is a true fact. What you have provided is merely words you believe but you have provided nothing to prove it true other than your misguided view on employment.

sofla posted the way he did on purpose. He thinks he can just throw out a big number like that and think it sticks without any sort of "beef" behind it. He chose on purpose to not define what that 70% actually is and how it compares across the industry and my take is that he did it for the "shock and awe" when it really is probably not that big of a deal. I am sure he will respond though.

eg8r

LWW
01-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Once they accepted the concept of doublethink ... "TRUTH" became an entirely malleable thing to them.

That's why they believe reality to be whatever it needs to be in order to advance the agenda.

eg8r
01-16-2012, 08:24 AM
While I am sure you have your own source I thought I would check into this. The very first site I looked at seemed to paint the same picture as what sofla was saying however this 70% is for the industry and is actually at a serious low point.

Talking Turnover (http://www.stores.org/stores-magazine-july-2010/talking-turnover)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The industry has always had a fairly high turnover rate. Where do things stand at the moment?
I think the last report we had from NRF showed turnover at 110 percent, but itís trended down and over the past year our major clients have seen reductions of 20 to 30 percent. So right now, it seems to be in the 75 to 80 percent range.

Is the economy the primary reason?
Definitely. This is the lowest turnover weíve seen since 2000. People are skittish about leaving their jobs, whether or not other opportunities are out there. In the past people would leave a job if they didnít like their schedule or had some other issue because they expected to land another one in a week or two. Thatís not easy to do right now.

What happens when the economy turns around?
Turnover could go back to historic levels. I donít think itís going to pop back to the 110 percent level any time in the next three to six months, but we could probably be back there within a year.</div></div>Now this info is 6 months old so if you can find some more recent data to prove otherwise I guess we all agree with you that people change their retail jobs quite regularly. In this bad economy though that number is quite low compared to the historical numbers.

eg8r

LWW
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
The bottom line is that low wage entry level jobs have higher turnover because the upside of getting a new employer is huge.

Is WALMART worse than other similar employers? I doubt it.

sack316
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great news!!! You do know that now your opinion doesn't count since you are "on the take". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

lol true that Ed!

I'm working on finding a solid figure for this... I keep forgetting to ask in my classes!

But considering the standard numbers for retail according to the NRF have the industry average at around 110% (and around 75-80% during bad economic times such as this)... I'd say even using Sofla's number Wally World ranks pretty good!

Also thus far A LOT of our training has to do with retaining associates, empowering them, and grooming them for promotions. It's a very high focal point for the company.

Also pleasing to me this week is our facilitator has been brutally honest... speaking very forthright about the good and bad of our company (of course the bad comes w/ a disclaimer of "you better not mention you heard this here lol).

I told my friends I had joined the "evil empire" when I accepted the job offer. I'm finding it less and less as I imagined it to be. One thing I'm going to love is a 3 day on- 3 day off schedule. Find me another retail store that gives their salaried managers that sweet of a schedule (11 hour days... 12 hr scheduled shift w/ a lunch break).

Sack

Qtec
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually ... it's a myth </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you make a claim, you post a link. </div></div>

LOL

Q

eg8r
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Where did you go? You make a statement like this in hopes that it actually meant something and then you leave. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r