PDA

View Full Version : Tooling around London was awesome!!!

eg8r
01-16-2012, 05:25 AM
My hotel is cattycorner to Big Ben, how cool is that? I love business travel but it has always been domestic. This is my first foray in the UK and it has been fantastic so far. The big problem at this point has been my choice of "winter clothing". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I don't own suitable clothes to be out in this weather. I am a south Florida boy in freezing weather. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

LWW
01-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Be careful if you rent a car, wouldn't want to see you confuse the boots with the bonnets ... and whatever you do, don't go banging wings with other motorists.

eg8r
01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
We have two rental cars. Roundabouts are pretty weird but we are getting the hang of it. If you have ever driven in NYC then you can drive in London. Well except for the steering wheel being on the wrong side and you drive on the wrong side. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It is so amazing to see such an old country. In the US everything is looked at as decades old with some things being in the century range. Over here there is so much more to see. I love travelling and it is even better when your company pays you to do it. On top of that it is my birthday on Friday so it was a great present this year. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

LWW
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Jolly good.

dg-in-centralpa
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I was there in the mid 70's and had a blast. Went to the corner restaurant and got fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. Best I ever had.

DG

cushioncrawler
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Notice the bums in the alleys.
Notice the drugs, and guns, the constant sound of sirens somewhere.
Notice how british radio sounds strange, british radio iz slower, quieter, and intelligent.
Notice how british krappynomix haz a funny accent and sounds extremely superior.
U must see the Queen.
mac.

Did the usofa win its first civil war -- or looz.

eg8r
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Wrapped in newspaper? Yuck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have decided that while on this trip I would eat something new every single night. For my entire life I have hated eating fish however, the past two nights have been strange. I decided one night that I would order the salmon dinner and also a grilled chicken dinner. My thinking was that if I could not eat the salmon then I could fall back on the chicken. Well I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was stuffed eating the salmon.

Last night while in south England I ate at a restaurant called Loch Fyne. I had the Fisherman Pie which had I believe salmon, smoked haddock, prawns, cod and boiled egg in a bechamel sauce with creamy mash and melted cheese. It was absolutely fantastic. I could not beleive how great it tasted. Maybe this trip has opened my eyes, finally, about fish.

We are heading down to the shore again this evening for some Italian. It will be hard to stay away from teh things I like considering this is a true italian restaurant not too far from the "motherland". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Make sure you see the tower of London and eat some Indian food.

Traffic in London is a nightmare, better using the metro.

Q

nAz
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey Ed did you get on that big wheel yet? if you do take a few pics and post it.
Oh and have a great 60th birth day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Soflasnapper
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Are you seeing a lot of Arabs, or English blacks from the other Commonwealth nations, there?

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I saw an entire mix of nationalities while in London. We spent the Friday evening in Covent Garden and SoHo and we saw a decent percentage of English blacks. Not sure about lots of Arabs but it seems like a great mix. Man, that area was packed well past 1AM though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Ok, I had my first foray into Indian food and absolutely hated it. I cannot stand the seasoning used. I don't like the smell or the taste. We ate at Dishoom which is a Bombay cafe. This was as authentic as it can get (so we were told by a ton of people there). The people I was traveling with loved it but I hated every minute of it.

We missed the Tower of London but will put that on the itinerary for our next trip in a few months.

As far as traffic, Sunday was quite easy to get around. Friday afternoon and evening a while different story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Absolute mayhem. It reminded me of trying to get through Manhatten in rush hour (or basically all day). I hated using the Metro though because it seemed like we spent too much time down below. I much prefer to see London from an above ground view. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Big Wheel? Are you talking about the Eye? No we did not ride it but it was directly outside my hotel window. I had a view of Big Ben and then Eye. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LOL, 60th birthday. I sure hope time is not moving that fast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notice the bums in the alleys.
Notice the drugs, and guns, the constant sound of sirens somewhere.
Notice how british radio sounds strange, british radio iz slower, quieter, and intelligent.</div></div>Didn't notice bums because we really were not able to take everything in, if that makes sense. We did see the tents up protesting the first war in Iraq. Those people sure must be cold.

Missed the drugs and guns but we did hear sirens sort of regularly but nothing different than any metropolitan city I have ever been in.

To be honest it is like all big cities except the buildings are much older. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I love their use of the English language compared to what Americans have done to it. One vocabulary item I argued with was when I said, "It will make sense if you do the math". I was immediately corrected by an Englishman in the class I was training and he said, "mathS, not Math. You don't do mathematic, you do mathematics". I thought he was nuts but then said, "If I am going to turncate the ematic off the end of the word then the 's' has to go also." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He then thought I was nuts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
One example of their use of the language that I enjoyed...

In America we would say, "It is 'required'"...
In the UK they would say, "It is compulsory". Compulsory is not a word that is said often in the states so it was fun to hear the words they choose to say compared to what we would say here.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
It's definitely not standard here to talk about the maths.

Here, although math is singular, it has a plural meaning, I guess. That is, if given a semi-complex equation that involves adding, subtracting, multiplying, a square root and some exponential powers, doing all of that would be doing 'the math.'

Here. I guess not there. One wag said of the US and Great Britain, two countries divided by the same language.

cushioncrawler
01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Maths iz bullshit. Math iz korrekt.

Originally mathematic woz sort of singular and mathematics woz sort of plural. Hencely if the operation u are talking about iz a simple one then u shood say math. If the operation needs say geometry-math plus some say arithmetic-math then it might be ok to say maths.

Except that math uzually aint korrekt -- 99% of the time when peeple say math they mean arithmetic.
If the operation involves simple number crunching then it iz arithmetic. If it iznt simple arithmetic then it iz probly still arithmetic, koz arithmetic iz more komplikated and more diffikult than other math anyhow.

The only trouble with "math" iz that oxford sez that math haz some other nonrelated meanings -- in which case praps one kood insist on saying "maths" so az to steer kleer. Ok.

Iz there a short verzion of arithmetik -- i guess not.
Even tho a-rith-ma-tick haz the same number of syllables az math-thee-mat-tix, i think that arithmetik iz eezy to say, whereaz mathematix aint. That "thee" requires u to pull some face muscles back a long way.

But if u say math-mat-tix then that iz eezyr to say than math-thee-mat-tix -- there aint no "thee".

Required iz bullshit. Kompulsory iz korrekt. No arguement needed.
mac.

Soflasnapper
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
99% of the time when peeple say math they mean arithmetic.

Very true, in my experience.

cushioncrawler
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I allso notice oxford sez that u say maths but write math.
If so then eg8r faces a minor additional problem when he hazta tell us in writing about the pommy reaktion to hiz spoken word.
mac.

eg8r
01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
They do say "maths" but in my defense, weak as it may be and certainly on the spot quick thinking, I believe if we are going to truncate ematic why not take the s with it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
01-25-2012, 06:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The people I was traveling with loved it but I hated every minute of it. </div></div>

Too bad. To each his own I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We missed the Tower of London but will put that on the itinerary for our next trip in a few months. </div></div>

To bad again. The Crown Jewels are amazing.

http://www.lacrememagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/the-remaining-cullinan-diamonds.jpg

Q...thatīs a diamond!

cushioncrawler
01-25-2012, 02:00 PM
I kan see that on Barack's head -- King Barack The 1st.
mac.

eg8r
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I was only a couple blocks from it but when we got back into London we were ready for some food. I will definitely put it on the list of things to do when we go back. Couple months and counting...

eg8r

Soflasnapper
01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I sorta think the Tower of London probably has some hauntings, considering those killed there over the years.