PDA

View Full Version : Christie: Mitt Should Release Tax Returns

Qtec
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Chris Christie: Mitt Romney Should Release Tax Returns Immediately

WASHINGTON -- Gov. Chris Christie is urging political ally Mitt Romney to immediately release his tax returns rather than waiting until April.

The New Jersey governor told NBC's "Today" show Romney should "put them out sooner than later because it's always better to have full disclosure."

On MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Christie expanded on the tax returns issue. "I've released all of my tax returns, and I did it during the campaign," he said. "I think that's the right way to go and that's what I'd tell Gov. Romney to do. He says going to release them in April--I'd hope he does."

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>He said that it's not a "great shock" that Romney says he pays about a 15 percent tax rate, since he hasn't earned a salary in a long time. </span>"Let's get all the facts out there, see what the tax returns say, and everyone will probably know that this story is much ado about nothing," said Christie.

Romney's taxes have emerged as an issue days before the South Carolina primary. He agreed in Monday night's debate to consider making his tax returns public, and then committed to releasing them on Tuesday. But the multi-millionaire candidate now is on the defensive after acknowledging that his effective tax rate is 15 percent, saying most of his income came from investments and speeches rather than earned income. Christie says he wants to remain as governor, but he wouldn't rule out joining a Romney ticket. </div></div>

And Romney says,

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>"we need to cut taxes for the job creators like me! "</span>

Q

Soflasnapper
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
That damn lefty Democrat Christie WOULD say that!!!

What? A Republican, you say? Hmmmph! A RINO, you mean.

[Note, this was only an ironic test of the ad hominem alert. In the event of a real ad hominem attack, tune into civil defense authorities for further instruction.]

Here's a prediction for you: I'm guessing Romney's effective tax rate is closer to 10%, partially because of the multi-million dollar holdings of his and his wife's in Cayman Island accounts, which almost certainly are there for tax-preferred purposes.

cushioncrawler
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Plus the zero% tax rate that he pays on other income that u will never see.
mac.

LWW
01-19-2012, 03:20 AM
If nobody ever sees it, how do you know about it?

Qtec
01-19-2012, 04:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a prediction for you: I'm guessing Romney's effective tax rate is closer to 10%, partially because of the multi-million dollar holdings of his and his wife's in Cayman Island accounts, which almost certainly are there for tax-preferred purposes. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From ABC News:

Tax experts agree that Romney remains subject to American taxes. But they say the offshore accounts have provided him -- and Bain -- with other potential financial benefits, such as higher management fees and greater foreign interest, all at the expense of the U.S. Treasury. Rebecca J. Wilkins, a tax policy expert with Citizens for Tax Justice, said the federal government loses an estimated $100 billion a year because of tax havens. </div></div>

Mmmmmmmmm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Andrea Saul, a spokesperson for the Romney campaign, pushed back quickly after the ABC News report, taking exception to their characterization of the investments as "tax havens."

"ABC is flat wrong. The Romney's investments in funds established in the Cayman Islands are taxed in the very same way they would be if those funds were established in the United States. These are not tax havens and it is false to say so," she said in a statement. </div></div>

So why the Cayman Islands if there is no different from banking in the USA?

Sounds like BS to me.

Q