PDA

View Full Version : Regulation table leagues in the US?

09-27-2002, 03:24 AM
Are there regulation table (i.e. 4-1/2x9) leagues in the US. or are they all bar-box like in Colorado? If these leagues exist, then in what part of the country and what game do they play: 8-Ball, 9-Ball or Equal Offense?

Just curious ... and thanks for your answers.

All the best shottin',
Bob

=k=
09-27-2002, 08:37 AM
bob
here in phoenix there apa and tap leagues playing on 9 footers.. love it. k

stickman
09-27-2002, 11:25 AM
No league or tournament play on 9'ers around this area of Southeast Kansas. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif I wish there was. I'd much rather play on the 9'ers than barboxes.

Cueless Joey
09-27-2002, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> No league or tournament play on 9'ers around this area of Southeast Kansas. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif I wish there was. I'd much rather play on the 9'ers than barboxes. <hr></blockquote>
Barboxes? Jeesh. I hate 'em. Barbox players? No comment. laugh

griffith_d
09-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Here in Houston, there are many leagues for all sizes, usually the pubs, bars and honky tonks have the 6 foot quarter tables; they do have some good players.

The big tables, 8's and 9's, mostly 8's, have the leagues in the pool halls; Barney's, Slick Willie's and Cornbreads. The biggest place to play in Houston is in League City at Legends,...great place(so I am told and cannot wait to go)

Griff

bluewolf
09-28-2002, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> Are there regulation table (i.e. 4-1/2x9) leagues in the US. or are they all bar-box like in Colorado? If these leagues exist, then in what part of the country and what game do they play: 8-Ball, 9-Ball or Equal Offense?

All the best shottin',
Bob <hr></blockquote>

here where i live in md, ww and i are in apa.we were playing at one pool hall on 4x8.that place closed for renovations and other issues and is due to reopen soon.while it was closed, the apa teams that were playing there went to champions which is 4.5x9.many of us like those better.when the original pool hall reopens,how many teams go back there may be dictated by whether they reopen with 4x8 or 4.5x9.apa tourns have been played on barboxes and the tables in vegas(3 years ago) were barboxes.

i like 4x8 okay but like the 9 foots better. since i am okay on long shots,i like the 9 foots cuz the balls dont get scrunched up as much and it seems like more of a margin of error on position.

bw

socrates
09-28-2002, 07:16 AM
In Eastern Iowa and Western Illiniois all the leagues and torunaments are played on bar boxes. We have a population in the Quad Cities area of 450,000 to 500,000 and there are only eight 9 ft tables set up in two pool halls.

The bar box is a two edged sword. I think it allows more people accesss to the game with tables set up where there otherwise would be none. Since all the leagues and tournaments here are on bar boxes many people never experience the difference or have the desire to take their game from the small to the 9ft tables.

I recognize the stronger player will usually prevail regardless of the equipment and there is a skill set that must be developed to compete on the smaller table.

However, to me playing on a bar box is like playing golf on par 3 courses only.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-28-2002, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> Are there regulation table (i.e. 4-1/2x9) leagues in the US. or are they all bar-box like in Colorado? If these leagues exist, then in what part of the country and what game do they play: 8-Ball, 9-Ball or Equal Offense?

All the best shottin',
Bob <hr></blockquote>

APA and Valley leagues are played pretty much exclusively on barboxes here.

SnookerS has a BCA 8-ball league (in-house) played on 8-footers.

Cincy Straight Pool League (SnookerS, in-house) is played on 9-footers.

SnookerS used to one-pocket and 9-ball leagues (in-house) played on 9-footers. I think they still do, Tom would know.
I'm pretty some of the other pool halls around here have either BCA or in-house 8-ball or 9-ball leagues played on 8-footers.