PDA

View Full Version : What's played where?

09-27-2002, 03:29 AM
I read that New York is traditionally known for its straight pool, Philadelphia is one-pocket heaven, the Southeast is 9-Ball country (kind of explains Strickland and Hall, doesn't it) and small towns throughout Kansas have, or used to have, 4-1/2x9 and 5x10 snooker tables for the farmers. Why snooker in Kansas? I don't know, but it's where I learned to play 40 years ago.

Anyway, what games are other parts of the country known for? ... and why Snooker in Kansas?

Thanks for your answers.

Bob

=k=
09-27-2002, 08:13 AM
hi bob!
i don't know why, but i do know as a kid we weren't allowed on the snooker table until we were proficient in straight pool. ahhh i still relish the memories of the first time i was allowed on the snooker tables.. then damn double damn.. couldn't make a ball, ended up first game in the hole.. took some adjusting... we also had a billiard table. never gradulated to that.. left home to early. nam called... k

stickman
09-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Bob, as a kid I remember snooker being the game here in Kansas. Only the oldtimers could get on the snooker tables. No kids allowed. LOL Our local hall sold their snooker table, much to my regret. The thing here now is 9ball ring games, with 4 or 5 players. I much prefer to play heads up 9ball. Too much sitting and waiting in the ring games for me. I get cold waiting for my turn to shoot.

09-27-2002, 09:46 AM
It is funny you mention snooker. I used to play on the road and I often ran into snooker tables in small town in the south. Although they most often played golf. I have to humbly say, I played just under the top players back then. Miz used to play me 135 to 105 at his place in Jersey. But playing golf in small town was really tough. The table is such a part of the game, you may lose to a guy who has been putting up drywall all day and isn't even considered a player, because he knows the table.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-27-2002, 09:49 AM
Here in the Mid-West.. OH, Indiana and KY.. its mostly 9 ball (Cory Deuel, Troy Franks, Dee Adkins are all Ohio residents) But KY has and has had some good players, Nick Varner and John Brumback. All currently playing in the US Open.

I would have to say that the prodominent game of excellence in this area would be One-Pocket and a close second Banks.

14.1 has it following.. the Cincinnati Straight Pool League is in its 15th session and had about 32 players for the summer session that just ended.

09-28-2002, 05:36 AM
A straight pool league, and one that has been going for 15 years? That's amazing, Tom. I'm jealous. It would never happen in Colorado, but nothing much does. A few 9-Ball and so-so One-pocket tournaments on 9 footers; everything else is bar-boxes, bar-boxes, and oh, did I mention bar-boxes. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Having played on 9-footers since I was 8 or 9, and watching the greats like Crane, Lassiter, Caras and Mizerak in the 1960s and 70s, Mike Sigel in the 1980s and the current crop of Accu-stats 9-Ballers on 9 footers, I just can't get interested in bar-boxes. Of course, the fact that they're in bars doesn't interest me much either. Give me an old-fashioned "No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines, just pool ... this is Ames, mister." hall and I'd be thrilled. Maybe I should be a resident of Cincinnati.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

bluewolf
09-28-2002, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> It is funny you mention snooker. I used to play on the road and I often ran into snooker tables in small town in the south. Although they most often played golf. I have to humbly say, I played just under the top players back then. Miz used to play me 135 to 105 at his place in Jersey. But playing golf in small town was really tough. The table is such a part of the game, you may lose to a guy who has been putting up drywall all day and isn't even considered a player, because he knows the table. <hr></blockquote>

your dry wall guy sounds like he had some talent but either had not had the opportunity or desire to play on other tables &lt;G&gt;

bw

09-28-2002, 06:47 AM
The point I was making is, in golf the knowing the table is a big part of the game. Golf, especially on 6 x 12s the table often has a lot of roll offs and the players that play on the table know them like the back of their hand. They are very careful usually when they cover the table to not disturb it to much. The big thing in golf, is if you have to kick on a foul. You really have to know the table because you risk going back.

09-28-2002, 07:33 AM
In the KC area I would say 9-ball is still played the most, with 1-hole running a real close second.
I can't believe the increase of 1-pocket in this area. 5-6 years ago, the only place there was 1-hole action on a regular basis was Raytown Rec (similar to Ames). Now Almost every pool room has players familiar with 1-hole.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-28-2002, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> A straight pool league, and one that has been going for 15 years? That's amazing, Tom. I'm jealous. It would never happen in Colorado, but nothing much does<hr></blockquote>

Don't be so sure about that. All it takes is somebody to get the ball rolling. 14.1 is a great game. The hard part is getting people to try it. If it's someone who really likes to play pool and wants to improve they will soon realize 14.1 is a great alternative and complement to 9-ball and 8-ball.

I've played in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League also for about 3 years now. I'd say about half the players are veterans who have played it for a long time. The other half are people like me who had never heard of it before they started playing pool seriously.

If you could just get together 6 or 8 people for a round robin 6 or 8 week session you might be surprised how many people walk up and say "Hey what game are you guys playin?" You then start recruiting them. Hey ya' never know.

nmshooter
09-28-2002, 12:53 PM
I just moved to Kansas City, KS. about 6mths or so ago. I played mostly 9 ball and still do. I play at Breakers but noticed not many people were playing 9, mostly 8. I took my girlfriend in there and we played 9 for about 3 hours. We saw about 4 or 5 tables directly around us switch to 9 after a while. Mostly kids, but they seemed to take an interest. I also learned to play 3 cushion about 3 mths ago, so I play on the billiads table whenever it is open. I dont really know anyone here yet and dont get to go as often as I would like to but seems to be a mixture of things going on. I saw some billiards, 9ball, 8 ball and snooker all being played while I was there.