PDA

View Full Version : “If it’s the pinnacle of capitalism, ....

Qtec
01-23-2012, 03:54 AM
“If it’s the pinnacle of capitalism, <u>we should be worried.” </u>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work

When Barack Obama joined Silicon Valley’s top luminaries for dinner in California last February, each guest was asked to come with a question for the president.

But as Steven P. Jobs of Apple spoke, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>President Obama interrupted with an inquiry of his own: what would it take to make iPhones in the United States?</span>

Not long ago, Apple boasted that its products were made in America. Today, few are. Almost all of the 70 million iPhones, 30 million iPads and 59 million other products Apple sold last year were manufactured overseas.

Why can’t that work come home? Mr. Obama asked.

Mr. Jobs’s reply was unambiguous. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>“Those jobs aren’t coming back,”</span> he said, according to another dinner guest.

The president’s question touched upon a central conviction at Apple. It isn’t just that workers are cheaper abroad. Rather, Apple’s executives believe the vast scale of overseas factories as well as the flexibility, diligence and industrial skills of foreign workers have so outpaced their American counterparts that “Made in the U.S.A.” is no longer a viable option for most Apple products.

Apple has become one of the best-known, most admired and most imitated companies on earth, in part through an unrelenting mastery of global operations. Last year, it earned over $400,000 in profit per employee, more than Goldman Sachs, Exxon Mobil or Google.

However, what has vexed Mr. Obama as well as economists and policy makers is that Apple — and many of its high-technology peers — are not nearly as avid in creating American jobs as other famous companies were in their heydays.

Apple employs 43,000 people in the United States and 20,000 overseas, a small fraction of the over 400,000 American workers at General Motors in the 1950s, or the hundreds of thousands at General Electric in the 1980s. </div></div>

Answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>“If it’s the pinnacle of capitalism, we should be worried.”</span>

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight.

A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s <u>dormitories</u>,</span> according to the executive. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Each employee was given<u> a biscuit and a cup of tea, </u>guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Back to the past. That's the GOP/Wall St mentality. Workers chained to their work benches on the production line. ie, a race to the bottom. Totally against the American idea of freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

Reality! They don't want to know.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Foxconn staff threaten mass suicide
Posted on January 11, 2012 - 07:33 by Kate Taylor
Email

Three hundred staff at a plant building the Xbox 360 have been threatening mass suicide over pay and conditions, according to local reports.

Staff at a Foxconn plant - yes, them again - in Wuhan, China, say the company's failed to pay them wages they're owed. When they were moved to a new production line, they say, they were misled over their options.

First, they were given the choice of redundancy with a month's pay for every year of service. However when many chose to quit, Foxconn allegedly gave them nothing.

The factory's reported to make parts for the Xbox 360, as well as casings for Acer notebooks.

Foxconn's notorious for a spate of suicides at its Chinese plants, with the company driven to install anti-suicide nets to revent staff jumping off the roof. Staff are even required to sign a 'no-suicide' clause as part of their contract.
http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/49947-foxconn-suicides-...

The Wuhan workers threatened to do the same if their demands were not met. They spent the night on the factory roof, temporarily halting production. However, the situation was eventually resolved through the intervention of local government officials, and the workers were coaxed down from the roof.

Most have apparently agreed to stay, with around 45 choosing to quit.

There's photos of the incident, here. </div></div>

r

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.” </div></div>

their lovin it (http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/60713-foxconn-staff-threaten-mass-suicide?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tgdaily_all_sections+%28TG+Da ily+-+All+News%29)

Q

LWW
01-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Are your comprehension skills actually that poor?

Obviously ... they are.

APPLE is one of the most moonbat crazy leftist companies in existence when it comes to their politics ... and, yes, they are profiting from what is essentially slave labor.

And you are supporting it by your mindless babble.

Qtec
01-23-2012, 04:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and, yes, they are profiting from what is essentially slave labor. </div></div>

Yes, and that's what you seem to want for Americans.

Q

LWW
01-23-2012, 04:29 AM
And you base that on what?

What's that?

You made it up?

But ... we both know that.

cushioncrawler
01-23-2012, 05:36 AM
America the great will go down in eight.
mac.

nAz
01-23-2012, 05:56 AM
That was a good article, i read it yesterday, it makes some sense on why these products are easier (cheaper) to make in Asia. Its not just cheap labor, location location location too bad the U.S. gave up on manufacturing 20+ years ago. Corporations got what they wanted and profits have never been better.

Just wait till China starts developing their own ideas and products once they become more innovative it might very well be over for my country, but i doubt it.

cushioncrawler
01-23-2012, 06:09 AM
After the usofa hits the canvas, praps faktorys will kum back to the usofa -- are u feeling lucky???
But it wont be your country -- unless u are chineze -- well, are u punk???
Hoo will be the next prezident of the usofa. Not a question.
mac.

nAz
01-23-2012, 06:47 AM
Hoo? hoo on first?
maybe, China has lots of problems lots of poor people over there. you never know one bad flood and an earth quake might really hurt them bad. Anyways my Chinese and Spanish is getting better everyday...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/520/hailants.jpg

I, For One, Welcome Our New " " Overlords.

Stretch
01-23-2012, 06:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the usofa hits the canvas, praps faktorys will kum back to the usofa -- are u feeling lucky???
But it wont be your country -- unless u are chineze -- well, are u punk???
Hoo will be the next prezident of the usofa. Not a question.
mac. </div></div>

Obama is the last gasp. It dosn't really matter who gets the job does it? The real power resides elsewhere beyond the accountability of the public.

I believe there are about 6 corporations controlled by billionairs who sell everything Americans hear, read, and see. They are all brainwashed into thinking what they have is a democracy. They could school the Russians on corruption. St.

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Why did you choose to not quote Jobs answer to bring back jobs to the US? He agreed to bring billions back into the US economy to build jobs here if the Government would let it come back tax free or at least at a lower tax level.

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
OK, the current government is on a very specific track right now which raise taxes on the wealthy and increase regulation. How do you supposed either of those helps coerce the wealthy to bring their money back to the US to spur job growth?

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wait till China starts developing their own ideas and products once they become more innovative it might very well be over for my country, but i doubt it. </div></div>Why would they change a good thing? What is the incentive to break away from current lucrative business models to shaky/high risk business models that will not bring in any additional wealth?

eg8r

cushioncrawler
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
A virus or parasite etc duznt uzually kill everything all the time -- if it did then it uzually would kill itself.

Man kills everything -- man kills man.
mac.

Qtec
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you choose to not quote Jobs answer to bring back jobs to the US? He agreed to bring billions back into the US economy to build jobs here if the Government would let it come back tax free or at least at a lower tax level.

eg8r </div></div>

No he didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At dinner, for instance, the executives had suggested that the government should reform visa programs to help companies hire foreign engineers. Some had urged the president to give companies a “tax holiday” so they could bring back overseas profits which, they argued, would be used to create work. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Mr. Jobs even suggested it might be possible, someday, to locate some of Apple’s skilled manufacturing in the United States <u>if the government helped train more American engineers.</u> </span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“We shouldn’t be criticized for using Chinese workers,” a current Apple executive said. “The U.S. has stopped producing people with the skills we need.” </div></div>

link (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all)

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WASHINGTON, Oct 4 (Reuters) - A lobbying push in the U.S. Congress to give major corporations a tax break on their overseas profits suffered a setback on Tuesday when influential left- and right-wing think tanks both issued reports rejecting it.

The left-leaning Institute for Policy Studies said 10 big companies, including banking giants Citigroup Inc (C.N) and Bank of America Corp (BAC.N), <span style='font-size: 14pt'>laid off workers after enjoying a similar foreign profits tax break in 2004-2005.</span>

Despite promises that the tax break would boost the economy and stimulate hiring, the institute said that did not happen six years ago, and it likely would not happen this time either, if Congress were to approve another tax "holiday."

The conservative Heritage Foundation, normally in conflict with the institute, agreed on this one. </div></div>

eg8r
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Jobs even suggested it might be possible, someday, to locate some of Apple’s skilled manufacturing in the United States if the government helped train more American engineers. </div></div>So you prove I am correct. Thanks. LOL, seems odd that you would disagree with this since you think the entire populace should be 100% dependant on government, why not their secondary schooling also?

eg8r

Qtec
01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you prove I am correct. </div></div>

Not even close.

You said,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He agreed to bring billions back into the US economy to build jobs here if the Government would let it come back tax free or at least at a lower tax level. </div></div>

That is clearly wrong.

Q

Qtec
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, the current government is on a very specific track right now which raise taxes on the wealthy and increase regulation. How do you supposed either of those helps coerce the wealthy to bring their money back to the US to spur job growth?

eg8r </div></div>

That's a subject for another thread but back to the topic. Jobs said those jobs will never come back and I showed why. They are not prepared to do slave labour.

Q

eg8r
01-23-2012, 06:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a subject for another thread but back to the topic. Jobs said those jobs will never come back and I showed why.</div></div>You only showed what you wanted to show. He also said he would bring jobs back if there was a tax holiday. My post also explains why they will never come back but you think that is changing the subject. I guess it is if your subject is about slave labor and NOT about why jobs won't come back.

eg8r

eg8r
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Actually it was absolutely true. I am not saying billions of jobs but rather billions of dollars which he believes will lead to new jobs.

eg8r

Qtec
01-23-2012, 06:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He also said he would bring jobs back if there was a tax holiday. </div></div>

Show me because I don't think he did.

Q

eg8r
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Nope, I think you are right, he did not say that. It was the group of businesses of which Apple is a major player that has said, “incentives to invest at home is a common sense solution that will immediately inject up to $1 trillion into our economy and provide businesses with the security and certainty they need to help Americans get back to work,”.

If there was a way for Congress to mandate how the money was "re-invested", and I am not sure I really agree that they should have this power, and make sure it is not used to just buy back stock as the last time but rather injected into the economy then it seems like something to look into. The tax hit would only be in the 5-6% range which is much lower than the standard 35% so the intial cash flow would be less however the end benefit could be more people working which means more income tax coming in.

eg8r

Qtec
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Look, if you have a top rate of 15%, people will take the money and pay the tax.

If the top rate was 85% and the only way to avoid this tax was to reinvest???????????

Q