PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: GOP deserves to lose

Soflasnapper
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
The quotations directly from the WSJ are shown in italics below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The WSJ is the voice of the DC-New York GOP establishment, and that voice was crackling with anger and tears on Tuesday.

Let's just say right now what voters will be saying in November, once Barack Obama has been re-elected: Republicans deserve to lose.

Well, yes. They deserve to lose because they've learned nothing from spectacular failures of the Bush/Cheney years and are doubling down on every right-wing fetish: Even lower taxes! Even more wealth inequality! Even more war! Even fewer regulations! Let's deport 12 million people! Let's bring back child labor!

But I digress.

Above all, it doesn't matter that Americans are generally eager to send Mr. Obama packing. All they need is to be reasonably sure that the alternative won't be another fiasco. But they can't be reasonably sure, so it's going to be four more years of the disappointment you already know.

But won't Newt beat Obama in the debates?

A primary ballot for Mr. Gingrich is a vote for an entertaining election, not a Republican in the White House.

Ouch. But...but...don't we need a businessman to create jobs?

On the evidence of his campaign, Mr. Romney is a lousy CEO.

Oh, snap! And the big finish!

...the U.S. will surely survive four more years. Who knows? By then maybe Republicans will have figured out that if they don't want to lose, they shouldn't run with losers.

Just brutal.

Cheer up, WSJers! There's got to be a Bush lying around somewhere for 2016. In the meantime, please note that Newt and Willard are advocating exactly the same policies you've cheered on for decades.

Suck it up. </div></div>

Here, (http://crooksandliars.com/) with a link to the WSJ piece, and of course, the footage from the Hindenburg disaster as icing on the cake.

Oh, the humanity!

cushioncrawler
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Statik electricity -- canvas painted with rocket fuel. A risky mix.

cushioncrawler
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
It's practically standing still now they've dropped ropes out of the nose of the ship; and (uh) they've been taken ahold of down on the field by a number of men. It's starting to rain again; it's... the rain had (uh) slacked up a little bit. The back motors of the ship are just holding it (uh) just enough to keep it from...It's burst into flames! It's burst into flames and it's falling it's crashing! Watch it; watch it! Get out of the way; Get out of the way! Get this, Charlie; get this, Charlie! It's fire... and it's crashing! It's crashing terrible! Oh, my! Get out of the way, please! It's burning and bursting into flames and the... and it's falling on the mooring mast. And all the folks agree that this is terrible; this is the one of the worst catastrophes in the world. [indecipherable] its flames... Crashing, oh! Four- or five-hundred feet into the sky and it... it's a terrific crash, ladies and gentlemen. It's smoke, and it's in flames now; and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring mast. Oh, the humanity! And all the passengers screaming around here. I told you; itI can't even talk to people, their friends are out there! Ah! It's... it... it's a... ah! I... I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest: it's just laying there, mass of smoking wreckage. Ah! And everybody can hardly breathe and talk and the screaming. 0000000, I... I... I'm sorry. Honest: I... I can hardly breathe. I... I'm going to step inside, where I cannot see it. Charlie, that's terrible. Ah, ah... I can't. Listen, folks; I... I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because [indecipherable] I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed.

Herbert Morrison, describing the events, as transcribed for broadcast by WLS radio.

eg8r
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I agree with everything quoted from the article.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Official replacement mascot for the GOP: move over, <s>Rover Grover,</s> elephant, let <s>Jimi</s> the Hindenburg take over! (You know what I'm talking about. Get on with it! Yeah! -- J. Hendrix)

They realized they would REALLY get blamed had they gotten another Republican elected POTUS last time, and hoped the gambit of putting up a loser on purpose would allow transfer of the blame to the new guy.

Nice move on their part, but escaping blame ultimately requires them to change the course they charted with W for 8 years.

As they have not learned that lesson, and now offer stale, left-over barely warmed up slop from their recent past, we might just see the demise of that party in our lifetimes.

cushioncrawler
01-26-2012, 12:48 AM
How are the Green caucuses going???
mac.

LWW
01-26-2012, 05:04 AM
That's what I've said all year.

The corpse of Reagan would beat Obama ... but the RINO's seem bent on running one of a handful of candidates that could actually lose to this putz.

I still think he will get the boot against either of these two, but it will be far closer than it need be.

llotter
01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
When I was reading the Journal some time back, the editorial was very conservative and did not at all represent establishment Republicans. Establishment Republicans are just like their counterparts in the evil party, value Party over country because the Party is the source of their power.

Soflasnapper
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Reagan would be considered a RINO now, as you may realize (or not).

He'd be torn up in the primaries, if he were running on his record as Ronald Smith and not as St. Reagan, whose record has been badly misremembered by the conservatives of our day. (Not by the conservatives of HIS day, who wailed over why he was doing these things, and begging 'let Reagan be Reagan.')

And that has been admitted by several Republican office holders in the past couple of years.

Soflasnapper
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was reading the Journal some time back, the editorial was very conservative and did not at all represent establishment Republicans. Establishment Republicans are just like their counterparts in the evil party, value Party over country because the Party is the source of their power. </div></div>

It is somewhat different now, since the not-particularly movement conservative Rupert Murdoch has bought that franchise.