PDA

View Full Version : Quicksand, What's The Ettiquite?

Sid_Vicious
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
If you are used to playing someone regularly for $$$ and have had success back in time, and now find that your game sags, equaling an instant knowledge that you just can't beat the guy...do you pull up early and quit for the day before stacking more loss? Cheap betting "gets not so cheap" after a few weeks over recent time. Me??? I find I EXPECT to lose after a time, and my guy gets not only good, but he gets terribly lucky(9B.) Nine is my best game BTW. He also kicks out of my safeties like God and again, either through luck or talent, makes something in the process.

We've always had ton's of fun, respect each other, but this money loss is getting very old. Playing these regular sessions is also the highlight of my "retired life" so letting them go is depressing. To add, he gets to play several times a week, whereas I don't get to play competition except for these times. As far as a spot...I already get the 8, and have gotten the 8 for way back then when I was on the "collecting side", so I don't realy feel it cool to ask to increase that spot since I routed the guy like he's doing me now.

Do I duck and take a rest away from the current trend, or work through it? sid

Fran Crimi
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
If he's consistently beating you, then he may have gone up to another skill level, which is what can happen when a player plays a lot.

It would seem to me that you have 3 options:

1.) Practice more to raise your skill level.

2.) Ask for a bigger spot.

3.) Don't gamble with him anymore.

If you have the time, the first option is always the best, IMO.

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he's consistently beating you, then he may have gone up to another skill level, which is what can happen when a player plays a lot.

It would seem to me that you have 3 options:

1.) Practice more to raise your skill level.

2.) Ask for a bigger spot.

3.) Don't gamble with him anymore.

If you have the time, the first option is always the best, IMO. </div></div>

It's the relentless luck factor with the guy these days. Any time I load up and go for luck, the CB just goes magnetic toward a hole. Seriously, I have heard that when you are playing well, that the rolls go your way, but the law of averages are just so bizzare with this player. I know one other local player that does the same thing. If the TV pros could replicate the banks as consistently as either of these guys play them, it would ruin some opponent's spirits, like it does mine on the local level. Double rail banks into the opposite side pocket, when aiming to make it in the first rail bank...I just quit shaking my head anymore when it happens these days when they do it.

All in all, it has caused me to get into a funk, and then the basic-outs become embarrassing when I miss those. That's mental. Maybe I drink too much when I play :-( Naaaa, it couldn't be THAT! sid

JJFSTAR
01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
This may be not so good advice but here is mine. I stopped playing people of higher skill level than me for money quite some time ago; I also no longer play people of equal skill for money, I only play someone (that to my knowledge or as far as I can ascertain) are less skilled than I am; finally I will give out a spot if I think they are that much below my skill level.

That being said in dealing with people who I know are more skilled than I am I will foot the bill for the table, buy them a beer or 2, all the coffee and soda they can drink or make the races so long and for so little that even if they do win it really isn’t “worth their while”. I don’t suggest stopping with this guy because what you want to do is play people who are better than you and if the only way he will play with you is some kind of bet make it something that can’t possibly make you feel bad in any way. Also consider that if he will play you for “funzies” and his B or C game comes out that isn’t doing you any good either.

Bottom line is you should ask yourself what it is worth for you to play with him both for your own advancement as well as your own enjoyment and you should be happy to part with at least that much mula. And if it isn’t worth anything then you shouldn’t play him for any money anymore.

Fran Crimi
01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Put in the time and work on your game. You will be rewarded if you practice.

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put in the time and work on your game. You will be rewarded if you practice. </div></div>

How do you explain the magical luck in this guys jump in talent? Just a simple miss on a medium to very low chance on his part, and my 8-B spot wins. Everyone can improve with play time and work, but how do you "MAKE LUCK!"

Fran Crimi
02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
His luck will become less of a factor as you improve. If you lessen the number of mistakes you make each game, he will have less opportunities to be lucky. Not only that, but when he does get lucky, it won't bother you as much because you will be confident that you can do as much and more with skill rather than luck.

You have to cut down the scenario where you miss and he gets lucky. You do that by improving your game. You may even see his luck turn the other way when he gets frustrated in realizing that you're playing better than him and luck alone isn't going to cut it for him.

Rich R.
02-02-2012, 05:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put in the time and work on your game. You will be rewarded if you practice. </div></div>

How do you explain the magical luck in this guys jump in talent? Just a simple miss on a medium to very low chance on his part, and my 8-B spot wins. Everyone can improve with play time and work, but how do you "MAKE LUCK!" </div></div>
Some people say they "would rather be lucky than good".
I say "good" lasts longer.
If you work on your game, as Fran suggested, this guy's luck will fade.

Qtec
02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as a spot...I already get the 8, and have gotten the 8 for way back then when I was on the "collecting side", so I don't realy feel it cool to ask to increase that spot since I routed the guy like he's doing me now.

Do I duck and take a rest away from the current trend, or work through it? sid </div></div>

Great post Sid, its a dilemma.

IMO, you need a better spot. Play Bo5 or Bo7 and get a rack or 2 start. Much better than the 8. If he sees you as a source of income, its up to him to get you to play.

You could also just play for less money and keep it friendly.

What goes around, comes around.

Qtec.....luck is mostly a perception.

Billiard Dude
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
The weight is right when your winning. If your leaving down multiple sets over and over again its time to get the breaks too!

Chopstick
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put in the time and work on your game. You will be rewarded if you practice. </div></div>

How do you explain the magical luck in this guys jump in talent? Just a simple miss on a medium to very low chance on his part, and my 8-B spot wins. Everyone can improve with play time and work, but how do you "MAKE LUCK!" </div></div>

Sydney, ever hear of gaming theory? The decisions you make affect the outcome of your games more than shooting does. That's why they call it a game. What would happen to your scratch statistics if you played shape for the middle of the rails on every shot, no matter what? Is that making luck or minimizing the probabilities of an unforeseen negative outcome?

Randomness is a part of the universe. Why do people assume that it is not part of pool? Do you want a higher or lower probability that a random event will come out in your favor? Have you ever thought about a shot in that way? Do you play shape down the left or the right side of the table? Many times Grady Matthews said to me lots of good things can happen to you if you go that way. Not much can happen if you go that way. You gotta meet the pool gods half way. Give them the setups to help you out and you will be surprised how often they will.

The other thing is you might want to take some time and learn how to kick. Kicking is not luck. You can be a lot more accurate with it than you think. They don't have to be perfect. You only have to good enough to select which half of the object ball you are going to hit. Anyone should be able to do that in a few hours practice with short kicks. If you are playing someone that can kick, then take some extra time and play safe against his kicks too.

The should be no problem adjusting the spot. People do it all the time. Up and down. Better to have a game than be standing around.