PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the swing of things

eg8r
01-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Well I took off a few months of training over the holidays and tonight was the big night to jump back into it. Yuck, we hit the pool and I felt like an anchor. Jeesh, tomorrow is track in the morning. It is times like this when I wish I would have never stopped training. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This year I am going to be doing a 150 mile bike race here in Central Florida and then in June doing the Blood Sweat and Gear race up in North Carolina. Since that will be my first foray into riding in the mountains I will only be doing the 50 mile run. Should be plenty. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Later this year my goal is to do the Augusta half Ironman.

Busy busy year with all the little 5k and 10k races sprinkled in. My buddy and coach are trying hard to talk me into doing the Pineapple Man sprint tri but not sure if I am interested. Maybe I will but not right now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

LWW
01-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Keep it up.

Soflasnapper
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm exhausted hearing about it!

Remember to not overdo it for starters, and watch your rest as you get back to a full workout schedule.

50 miles in the mountains? Oh boy.

eg8r
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
I am staying up till midnight to pay for the race. The race is open for sale tonight at midnight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well tonight was my first night back on the track. When I stopped training about 4 months ago I was running an 8min 31sec mile. Today, after doing nothing but eating what I want while playing with my kids I ran an 8min 40sec mile. Not too shabby for taking 4 months off. The bad part is that while I have enjoyed the past 4 months, I am not pissed off that I lost 9 sec on my mile. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am sure after about a month I should be running faster than I was before but time will tell.

I am pretty excited though about training for bike races. I have always had very strong legs and the bike portion of the triathlon was always a breeze. I have never been in mountains though so I will be relying on the Vision Quest courses to help get me into shape.

eg8r

eg8r
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
I will be pacing myself this year to make it the whole way but with a healthy set of races already booked I should be ok. I am also thinking about doing the Miami Man race in November down in Miami just to make sure my offseason is not as long as this years was. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My goal is to do the Iron Man race in New Zealand next January. I will be training like crazy the last part of the year for it. As long as there are no serious injuries I will be booking my flight to New Zealand. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
02-01-2012, 04:43 AM
If you had swam across to England, you could have killed 2 birds with one stone and saved the taxpayer some money as well!

Q.