PDA

View Full Version : Consistency Poll

09-27-2002, 09:50 AM
It has been stated many places that “improved consistency” is the #1 request of players wanting to improve their game. Logically, we all want to play our best all of the time, and while that is realistically impossible, we at least prefer our consistency not too have the ups and downs of an un-medicated manic-depressive.

I am curious about how bad this consistency deficit is for for most players? Does it improve with experience or is the inconsistency just elevated to higher level?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being a pro) I would rate my average play at about a 5 with a consistency range from 2 to 7. That range is totally unpredictable. In a single evening tournament, I have played one match at a 7 and followed it with a match played at a 2 or 3.

Anyone else care to share their consistency ratings? Is there anything in particular you have done that drastically improved your consistency?

Now, let’s go shoot some pool!

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2002, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CueBald:</font><hr>
Anyone else care to share their consistency ratings? Is there anything in particular you have done that drastically improved your consistency?
<hr></blockquote>

Practice..........and play...........a lot.

I'm pretty consistent (at a mediocre level, about a "C" I guess).

I rarely have a really bad night. But sometimes I have a really good night.

socrates
09-27-2002, 10:30 AM
In my opinion one of the keys to consistency is a solid pre-shot routine which includes your mental processes prior to the shot and how you settle into your stance and alignment.

PERFORM THE CEREMONY - Zen in the Art of Archery

You must perform the ceremony on every shot.

YOU CANNOT TURN PRECISION ON AND OFF - Mark Wilson BCA Instructor.

Same level of energy needs to be applied on every shot whether you perceive it to be an easy or more difficult shot.

In any event the above is my opinion of one of the critical items required for consistency. Look forward to hearing other opinions.

HOWARD
09-27-2002, 10:34 AM
CUEBALD, SOMETIMES CONSISTENCY HAS TO DO WITH YOUR OPPONENT. I NOTICE MANY NIGHTS, WHEN I USE TO PLAY ALOT, THAT MY CONSISTENCY WAS PLAYING UP OR DOWN TO THE LEVEL OF PLAY OF MAY OPPONENTS. I NEVER OVERCOME THAT BUT BY A FEW PERCENTAGE POINTS. HOWARD

Fred Agnir
09-27-2002, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CueBald:</font><hr> It has been stated many places that “improved consistency” is the #1 request of players wanting to improve their game<hr></blockquote>
I get this one a lot from some league players. Of course, they don't play every day, they don't practice, and the only consistency that can be expected is that they drink a lot on fun night.

Do you think they should take lessons? I don't.

Fred

cheesemouse
09-27-2002, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>In my opinion one of the keys to consistency is a solid pre-shot routine which includes your mental processes prior to the shot and how you settle into your stance and alignment. <hr></blockquote>

I have to go with Socrates here. For me the key to consistency is in that grey area between thinking and executing. If the mind is not making a clear cut shot selection the body will follow with a less than comfortable shot. One may get away with it for a while but eventually the body will make you pay for your indecision. "THINK'M UP, SHOT'M DOWN".

09-27-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Cueball, I would say that i'm very consistant when playing tournaments in my town as well as the next one down the road. I'm striving to be consistant at a higher level though, so i'll be trying to play bigger tournaments further from home and hope to hold my own when I get climitized. Terry

stickman
09-27-2002, 11:33 AM
My consistancy has improved a lot over the last year. I seldom have any really bad games. I credit it mostly to practice.

09-27-2002, 11:39 AM
I would say i play at 90% of my best most of the time. I can expect to fluctuate 10% one way or the other equally. I don't think that average will change. The only way to raise the bar is to raise what you consider "your best". For that you need a system of grading your play appart from the wins and losses. St

TonyM
09-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Funny, I'd say the opposite. I'd be happy to be able to play at "my best" most of the time. So I'd say that we want to raise "our worst" games, not our best.

I've often said that it's not how you play at your best that counts, but rather, how well you play at your worst.

For the best players, even at their worst, they can still wipe the floor with you or I.

Tony
-trying to get my worst closer to my best....

griffith_d
09-27-2002, 06:14 PM
I must say I have been getting more consistent in getting my best games better and my worst games better. My worst game is not my worst game of old. I have raised my total play:
better break
better thinking ahead
better safeties
better banks(but is my weakness)
better on long shots(weakness but not as bad as banks)
new shots gotten from books and videos.

Better equipment; Predator BK, Talisman Pro M on my playing stick, a professional lesson to show me what I was doing wrong.

All of these things have now put me in the money on several tournaments, at one point it was 3 out of 4 weeks.

If 1 - 10 is the scale I would be 5-6, 7 tops and probably hit 4 for the low.

When I was on the league 2 years ago we had the 50 scale, 10 for a win or 1 point per ball for a loss, 5 games per match, 5 on a team playing the other 5,...my average was a 43.

Griff

bluewolf
09-28-2002, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CueBald:</font><hr> It has been stated many places that “improved consistency” is the #1 request of players wanting to improve their game. Logically, we all want to play our best all of the time, and while that is realistically impossible, we at least prefer our consistency not too have the ups and downs of an un-medicated manic-depressive.

I am curious about how bad this consistency deficit is for for most players? Does it improve with experience or is the inconsistency just elevated to higher level?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being a pro) I would rate my average play at about a 5 with a consistency range from 2 to 7. That range is totally unpredictable. In a single evening tournament, I have played one match at a 7 and followed it with a match played at a 2 or 3.

Now, let’s go shoot some pool! <hr></blockquote>

I have seen good players play worse against worse players,especially if the worse player can get the better player to 'play their game'.

i have played fours and fives who,even though they beat me,they played worse than they usually do. i play a defensive game because my shot making is still way below my ability to do good safety shots and know my limitations. this last week we played against a girl who was rated three but is close to four.she is a very good shot maker.we put out mediocre three against her.he plays so bizarre but can make balls and this really messed up her head,causing her to play much worse and she came close to losing the match,even though she is much better in terms of mechanics and fundamentals.

so i would tend to agree with what someone said that sometimes it is the way the opponent plays that makes the good player inconsistent.

i also agree with what socrates said. and when someone has that inner peace and is unruffled by other players strategies,even strange strategies that is very important.

coming from a beginner.only what i have observed in my short time playing pool.

bw

09-28-2002, 07:15 AM
You play more consistent then you may think. You don't go in the course one night from playing very good to you can't remember how to play the game. Or making everything to missing everything. The biggest factor is the opponent. You may not realize how much that extra inning a little weaker player may be giving you a game, turns you into a world beater. A tougher player can make you look and feel a little weak yourself. Your basic game is pretty much unchanged. Unless I have not played in a few weeks or something, my game is always basically the same. It would be an awful feeling to not know how I was going to perform until the balls were broke. I always have a certain expectation of how I am going to play, if I didn't how could I ever make a game?

09-28-2002, 07:28 AM
That is the number one thing for a player learning. They come up to you and say "I would give anything to play like that." When you ask them how much they play, they tell you a few times a week. Gee, I wonder why they don't seem to improve. There is no substitute for practice.