PDA

View Full Version : Low Teacher Pay 'A Biblical Principle'

Qtec
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Wow. A nutjob that agrees with eg8r!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Shadrack McGill, Alabama State Senator, Says Keeping Teacher Pay Low 'A Biblical Principle' </span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Someone alert the unions: raising teacher pay will actually make for worse teachers--according to one GOP lawmaker.</span>

Alabama state Sen. Shadrack McGill said that increasing teacher pay is against "a biblical principle" because it might attract people who otherwise wouldn't do the job.

"Teachers need to make the money that they need to make," McGill said, according to the Times-Journal. "<span style='font-size: 17pt'>If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach</span> ... and these teachers that are called to teach, regardless of the pay scale, they would teach. It's just in them to do. It's the ability that God give 'em."

McGill's comments came at a prayer breakfast this week in Fort Payne, Ala. State legislators are currently weighing raising teacher pay. One GOP leader proposed raising salaries of newer teachers by 2.5 percent, but critics argue that it isn't fair to longer-serving educators, according to the Montgomery Advertiser.

A recent report might justify critics' worries, showing that Alabama is actually leading the nation in starting teacher salaries, while lagging behind in average teacher pay, the Dothan Eagle reports.

The national average starting salary for a teacher is $39,000. New York Times columnist Nick Kristof has argued that paying teachers more would help attract better people to the profession, and U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has repeatedly vocalized his assertion that teachers should have salaries starting at $60,000 and the opportunity to make up to $150,000 based on performance.

</div></div>

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/shadrack-mcgill-alabama-teacher-pay-bible_n_1247765.html)

Why doesn't he apply theory this to Wall St?

Q

eg8r
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. A nutjob that agrees with eg8r!!!
</div></div>When have I ever made a post that stated I was in favor of limiting teacher pay? Sorry dillhole but haven't you figured it out yet, I will call you out every single time you lie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach ..</div></div>This is true of every single profession. People are driven by the almighty dollar. I am not saying it is reason not to pay teachers more though, so again when you open your mouth and use your own thoughts you fail miserably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why doesn't he apply theory this to Wall St?
</div></div>Because unlike you he was keeping to the subject.

eg8r

Qtec
02-03-2012, 06:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When have I ever made a post that stated I was in favor of limiting teacher pay? </div></div>

LOL. You are joking, right? You are against unions and collective bargaining for public sector workers. You want teachers to pay more for HC and benefits, without an increase in wages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach

eg8r: This is true of every single profession. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>People are driven</span> by the almighty dollar. </div></div>

You just contradicted the guy and the point he is defending! Did you read the whole sentence?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach ... and these teachers that are called to teach, <span style='font-size: 26pt'>regardless of the pay scale</span>, they would teach. It's just in them to do. It's the ability that God give 'em." </div></div>

ie<span style='font-size: 14pt'> NOT driven by the almighty $.</span>

Q

eg8r
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
When have I ever said I was in favor of limiting teachers pay?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You just contradicted the guy and the point he is defending! Did you read the whole sentence?
</div></div>I did not contradict anything. You are having a problem with comprehension. If you don't understand just ask for help.

What is being said is that teachers will teach no matter what the pay is. However, since it is so low many people with no interest to teach have no reason to seek out that type of employment. If you double the teachers salary from #30k to $60k all of a sudden you will start getting people interested in teaching NOT because they want to teach but because all of a sudden the job is now paying $60k.

The workforce is littered with people who do not like their job but do it for the money, whether they need the money or they like the high salary. This is what the state senator is saying can be avoided if the salaries are kept low (ie only people who really want to be teachers will do it for the low salary). I don't agree this is the right defense since I have said multiple times on this site that teachers are not paid nearly enough.

eg8r