PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Aiming System

nineballrun77
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
The Ultimate Aiming System video is back,first debuted in Billiards Digest Magazine and received Great reviews by Mr. Fels.
Check it out! http://www.theultimateaimingsystem.com

poolluvr
02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I am Dave Mullen, creator of the Ultimate Aiming System. In 1996 I made the Ultimate Aiming System. With great reveiws from George and Tom Rossman and National Billiards News. In 1998 I got custody of my then 5 year old daughter. I put everything in the closet. Did not play a game or sell a video.2012, I decided to make a more modern video. I am also including a book , "The Mindset of a Poolplayer" Just look at the webpage. Thank you
Dave Mullen

JJFSTAR
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I saw your video on the ultimate aiming system when it was still available on youtube. I have to say I was really impressed when I tried it and I still use it. I wish you the best of luck with its sale. You are (from what I have seen) a good instructor; very thorough, congenial, unassuming and have a true desire to help others appreciate the game.

This is so rare in the pool world and if there were more like you (and me; this is how I like to see myself anyway) pool would not have the reputation that it does and more people would make more money playing it than they currently do.

It is a real shame that our world (the pool world) is filled with as Robert Byrne put it “insufferable clowns that brag, boast and sneer”. I hope I did not misquote him I am sure I will be corrected if I did. Dave I am glad to have you here and look forward to your posts WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

Soflasnapper
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I found this interesting and useful, although for now I'm only using a part of the concept, not the whole thing, for which I'm reserving my opinion until I work with it some more.

However, in the mp-4 format it came in, I cannot get the video to run smoothly at all, whether trying to play it in the Windows Media Player, QuickTime, or the GOM media player.

Is there a different player, or some other format I can save it into, so that I can actually see the darn thing? (I did see the instruction segment, which is more static.)

poolluvr
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Try reducing the size of the video.

Bambu
02-17-2012, 07:59 AM
What are u supposed to get out of that video? Just looks like a guy running an easy rack.

cushioncrawler
02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
I havnt seen or tryd the UAS -- but i am thinking that Ultimate might be a misnomer. Iz it really the ultimate system, or iz there a better name, ie a name that givs som insight into the aktual backbone or key element of the system.

"Ultimate" haz an overtone that it iz better than all the others.
And it haz an undertone that it will help anyone and everyone.
Whereaz i suspekt that Dave never intended to go to war with anyone.
mac.

Soflasnapper
02-19-2012, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are u supposed to get out of that video? Just looks like a guy running an easy rack. </div></div>

The meat of the UAS is described and diagrammed about half way into the video. Perhaps you didn't watch that far into it?

(Hint: involves AIMING! LOL!)

Tony_in_MD
02-20-2012, 05:15 AM
I guess you watched a different video then I did.

Rich R.
02-20-2012, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess you watched a different video then I did. </div></div>
I'm with Tony. The video I saw had no explanation and no diagrams in it. It was just a guy at, what appears to be, a small table, with the balls all spread out and he runs them without saying a word. The fact is, it was an extremely easy runout and he still got out of line IMHO. There was no instruction at all but, if you scrolled down below the video, they were attempting to sell a book.

Bambu
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Didnt see any meat, just the headline about the "secret."
Reminds me of a certain piece of mail I get every year. The one with the photo of Ed Mc Mahon and his giant check, smiling on the envelope.

El Rayo
02-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Love the system. Works for me.

Where is the book?

nineballrun77
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Hello,the video of the guy running the rack is a ''trailer'' if you scroll and click on ''learn more'' you are directed to the sales page,you click ''buy'' pay the $19.95 then you get the entire video with illustrations as well as e-book.The system works well for me also,Let me be clear,Ed Mc Mahon did not endorse this video....but George Fels of billiards digest did!

Bambu
02-25-2012, 10:18 AM
When you dont say what it is and try to sell it anyway, people will be leary. (Aiming system is just not enough.) If the trailor at least said it was based on shadows or edges or pivot length(something tangible) I might get such a negative impression.

Rich R.
02-26-2012, 05:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you dont say what it is and try to sell it anyway, people will be leary. (Aiming system is just not enough.) If the trailor at least said it was based on shadows or edges or pivot length(something tangible) I might get such a negative impression. </div></div>
It's based on smoke and mirrors. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Just kidding but Bambu has a good point.

JJFSTAR
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I was one of the 1st ones to answer and this “ultimate aiming system” was on YouTube when I 1st saw it he wasn’t trying to sell anything he just put it out there for free. I imagine that it will not work for everyone and it is IMHO completely useless if the balls are close together (at least the version that I saw as a youtube freebe). But if you are like me it is really great and has improved my accuracy by quite a bit. I also imagine that if you have very limited experience that it won’t help all that much.

The concept is amazingly simple all you have to do is aim the edge of your tip at the point of contact in the direction that you are cutting. Most of us are taught to aim the center of the tip at the point of contact; or at least that is how most “social” players tell other social players how to aim when they start playing pool.

Later as one gains more experience they make adjustments to that but one still no matter what has to have a “place to start” or a “basic point of reference” to make adjustments from. This is true of every aiming system if you think about it be it Pro1, Ghost ball, CTE, Tip to point of contact, 90/90, Ball segments, light reflections, The quarter system or whatever; it is absolutely universally true with only one exception and that is the best system what I call “feel” and yes “feel” is a system but if everyone was born with a good natural awareness of where to hit the ball to put it in the pocket we wouldn’t have come up with any system at all ever.

One must start out aiming some part of something at some part of the OB. All this “system” says is that that should be the edges of the tip; not the center of it. For me on shots with English it works amazingly well, all I have say is TRY IT; you might like it. Meaning the edges of the tip at the contact point, I am not trying to sell this product.

I am sure our new member here has expanded and refined the system and video since I saw it on Youtube. Dave I really appreciate you being here and look forward to your posts but the “rules of the board” say you aren’t supposed to try and sell anything here. I know you said “just look at the page” but the page is trying to sell something and I also know you answered a post meaning you were not the original poster; I know that. Welcome to the board and good luck selling your system it has helped me a great deal.

Bambu
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks JJ, I have used that system before. I noticed is this system is out of range for thin cuts. The greater the cut, the less accurate the system gets.

A better explanation can be found here, free.
(towards the bottom of the page)

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/aiming.html#CTE_evaluation

poolluvr
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
What I put out there wasn't free.It is called copywrite in fringment. I never gave permission to anyone to put my system on you tube. Meaning you Mr. Jewett. If you could remove it,that would be the right thing to do. Copyrights are good for 34 yrs.
Dave Mullen

cushioncrawler
02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Good question. I suspekt that if one kan patent an aiming system then praps no-one else kan uze it or teach it without permission.
But if it aint patented then i guess that u karnt photocopy or re-type an article or pix or video.

But praps paraphrazing iz a gray area. Iz it ok for me to write my own version in my own words -- and make a video, and teach. Dunno.
mac.

Rich R.
02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poolluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I put out there wasn't free.It is called copywrite in fringment. I never gave permission to anyone to put my system on you tube. Meaning you Mr. Jewett. If you could remove it,that would be the right thing to do. Copyrights are good for 34 yrs.
Dave Mullen </div></div>
I haven't seen the You Tube video but you may have a copyright on the book and/or video, if one is involved. You may win that single point. However, you would have to prove the system is original and your invention to win any legal action. Good luck with that. I hope you have a lot of cash for legal fees.

Bambu
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Maybe this is why the guy who invented the wheel never gets any credit. Too many other people have the same idea. I know I learned shaft/contact point aiming long ago from my partner(who says he started doing that in the 60's). I still remember telling him he was crazy, that it wasnt geometrically correct to aim that way. But when you work with it, you learn to make your own adjustments like any other system.

heater451
02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
3 things:

1) It might be copyright infringement, if someone re-posted the videos that YOU actually recorded. What is on that link is an explanation with diagrams of an aiming "system".

2) The posted link is to Dr. Dave's site. And, while I believe he has worked with Bob Jewett, and might have posted some of his documents, "Mr. Jewett" doesn't manage that site, and so did not post anything requiring permission. (He also would not be the person to ask to remove it.)

3) The posted link is to a page on aiming, and specifically to the page anchor for "Center-to-Edge" (CTE) aiming. This might be what you are calling your "Ultimate" system, but as JJFSTAR said that he was basically explaining your system, "aim the edge of your tip at the point of contact in the direction that you are cutting", is NOT the same. [Coincidentally enough, a month or so ago I ran across a YouTube video that was what JJFSTAR described. I cannot seem to find it now, so I'm wondering if it was your video. In contrast, there are tons of CTE videos....]

Bambu
03-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Heater, the page is on cte but there are more systems like shaft aiming towards the bottom of the page.

heater451
06-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Bambu.

For anyone not wanting to search the page, the link with the anchor to the "shaft-edge aiming" section is: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/aiming.html#shaft