PDA

View Full Version : Prezident Raygun.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
This bit of 1969 Laugh-In mentions right in the last few seconds of the 1:32 that the 1988 prez iz Raygun, which gets a small larff.
But i remember an earlyer one when Raygun woz running for governor that predikted that Raygun would be prez in i think 1984, and this got the biggest larff ever on that show.
I might find it.
mac.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlWbDu30PI&feature=player_detailpage

Soflasnapper
02-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Sure, but they missed the fall of the Berlin Wall, placing it about 3 years ahead of time.

Wait. That's not bad!

What's with the disappearing mustache for Dan? A couple of different shows spliced together?

cushioncrawler
02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
I remember it woz Dan, but it might hav been hiz offsider, after all it woz in 1968 or something, and i havnt mentioned it since then, and he sayd here iz the news the news wouldnt be the news without the news yaddyyadda and -- today from the whitehouse prezident reagan -- and then nothing happened for a long time koz the audience woz larffing and larffing and larffing -- obviously reagan woz running for gov and the joke woz that he would one day be prez.
It definitely woznt this piece of dogshit stuff that u kan watch here on youtube. It woz much better.
mac.

LWW
02-10-2012, 04:16 AM
I remember in 1968, back when there were only 3 main channels and they all carried the corn-ventions live, watching the convention with my father.

I was 11 , and when California cast their votes they announced XX fo Nixon and 1 vote ... apparently there was 1 holdout refusing to back Nixon so they went for the governor, who wasn't a candidate ... for Ronald Reagan.

I asked mt dad if that was the same guy who did the "TWENTY MULE TEAM BORAX" commercials on the "DEATH VALLEY DAYS" show.

We had a great laugh at the idea of him actually being POTUS.

Little did I know that he would be the only centrist POTUS in the next 44 years.

Soflasnapper
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Little did I know that he would be the only centrist POTUS in the next 44 years.

Shhhh! Wouldn't want the current GOP to learn RR was a centrist-- they think he was Mr. Conservative. The entire field is way to his right this cycle.

I think you'll find that Reagan was a kind of candidate that year, a 'favorite son' kind.

Here's someone stating that fact:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Of the Republicans who announced that they were seeking the presidential nomination, who was the first to drop out of the race?

George Romney. Romney was governor of Michigan, and after he was re-elected to that post in a landslide in 1966, many considered him the favorite to win the Republican nomination in 1968. But he ran a lackluster campaign and dropped out in March. Rockefeller dropped out shortly thereafter, but then rejoined the race. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Reagan entered late as a "favorite son" candidate.</span>
</div></div>

Wiki agrees (from their Richard Nixon 1968 presidential campaign page):

En route to the Republican Party nomination, Nixon faced challenges from Michigan Governor George Romney, New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, California Governor Ronald Reagan, and Illinois Senator Charles Percy.