PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hondo - three coal plants closing in WV

ugotda7
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Here's some change but maybe not the kind you hoped for.....what goes around comes around it seems.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=50837&type

Ohio based FirstEnergy Corporation announces it will close three coal fired power plants in West Virginia by this fall. The closings come directly from the impact of new federal EPA regulations.

The plants to close are Albright Power Station, Willow Island Power Station, and the Rivesville Power Station. The company says 105 employees will be directly impacted.

The three plants produce 660 megawatts and about 3-percent of FirstEnergy's total generation. In recent years, the plants served as "peaking facilities" and generated power during times of peak demand for power.

The plants operated under subsidiary Monongahela Power. Mon Power recently finished a study of unscrubbed coal fired plants in the system to determine the potential impact of the most recent environmental regulations from EPA. Company officials determined the EPA's Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) made it unfeasible to retrofit or continue operating the three plants.

“The high cost to implement MATS and other environmental rules is the reason these Mon Power plants are being retired,” said James R. Haney, regional president of Mon Power and president of West Virginia Operations for FirstEnergy.

The announcement follows an announcement from First Energy last month that six coal fired plants in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland would also be retired. All of those plans are due to be off line and shut down by September 1, 2012.

cushioncrawler
02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
The miners will be pleezed.
mac.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/perpetualtranze/golliwog.jpg

LWW
02-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Don't you know it's Bush's fault.

LWW
02-12-2012, 08:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's some change but maybe not the kind you hoped for.....what goes around comes around it seems. </div></div>

Actually ... I have to defend Obama on this.

Not for closing the plants, but he did say during the 2008 election that he was out to bankrupt the US coal industry.

Demokrook union voters in WV largely voted for their own demise because their union overlords told them to.

I feel for the West Virginians that will be devastated by this ... but those that voted for it deserve the scorn they will receive.

Soflasnapper
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
So far, that supposed plan (which doesn't exist) isn't working, as none of these companies closing plants has gone bankrupt.

When do you suppose it will finally kick in?

LWW
02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
How dishonest can you get ... no, the companies haven't went broke.

What they have done is close their coal facilities.

Next ridiculous claim in a lame attempt to defend the regime?

Soflasnapper
02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
They closed 3% of their power generation capacity in these couple of closures, which plants were used in recent years only as excess power during peak capacity use.

Involving 150 jobs.

Cry me a river. GOING BANKRUPT!!! Not so much.

llotter
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
People from WV are smart enough to attain a lifestyle based on government handouts and have found happiness in a work-free Utopia.

LWW
02-13-2012, 03:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They closed 3% of their power generation capacity in these couple of closures, which plants were used in recent years only as excess power during peak capacity use.

Involving 150 jobs.

Cry me a river. GOING BANKRUPT!!! Not so much. </div></div>

So the ones supposedly so worried about the poor have again shown their true opinion of the poor as merely being props on the stage to be ran out when needed to advance their agenda and then cast aside later.

These workers should, by your response, I assume be honored to be sacrificed on the altar of Goremonism by dear leader?

LWW
02-13-2012, 03:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People from WV are smart enough to attain a lifestyle based on government handouts and have found happiness in a work-free Utopia. </div></div>

As you have seen, the regime has little regard for the proles.

Qtec
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FirstEnergy to retire three coal-fired plants in West Virginia
EBR Staff Writer Published 09 February 2012

Diversified energy company FirstEnergy Corp will retire three older coal-fired power plants located in the US state of West Virginia by 1 September 2012.

The plants, which will be retired by the company's subsidiary Monongahela Power, are the Albright Power Station, the Willow Island Power Station and the Rivesville Power Station.

These regulated power plants have a total capacity of 660MW and the facilities have served mostly as peaking facilities, generating on average less than 1% of the electricity produced by FirstEnergy over the last three years.

The decision to close these facilities is related to the impact of new environmental rules and is based on the US Environmental Protection Agency Mercury and Air Toxics Standards and other environmental regulations.

The move follows FirstEnergy's decision last month to retire six other coal-fired power plants in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland by 1 September 2012. </div></div>

link (http://fossilfuel.energy-business-review.com/news/firstenergy-to-retire-three-coal-fired-plants-in-west-virginia-090212)

Q

Sev
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Whats a few hundred megawatts between friends?

eg8r
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Another example of a lefty not caring about the working Americans. Just another 150 jobs right.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
That is less a value than it would seem, considering the overall health benefits to local citizens from closing down newly non-compliant coal plants.

eg8r
02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I am sure the local citizens are going to be throwing huge parties.

eg8r

LWW
02-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I can't imagine that they wouldn't be praising dear leader for making them wards of the state.

Besides that ... by demokrook logic, this loss of 150 jobs will create many times that in return.