PDA

View Full Version : The Book Chain

Mr Ingrate
09-27-2002, 12:53 PM
To All,

A friend of mine who is a lurker on this board (and wishes to remain anonymous) has been following the post about the books on pool. He has a signed copy of "Winning One Pocket" and an unsigned copy of "Shots, Moves, and Strategies. He is sending the books to me and I have agreed to do another "Chain Letter" similar to what I did with the pool tapes.

Send your name and snail mail address by email to dave@syrja.net if you want to get on the list. I expect to cut off the list by the end of the first week in October.

Names will be arranged randomally and the books sent off to the first person on the list. Please read them and send them off to the next person on the list as quickly as possible. The last person on the list gets to keep the books. My anonymous benefactor asks that the last person on the list (the one who gets to keep the books) make a small donation to a local Xmas charity (not required, just a request).

Tom_In_Cincy
09-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Dave,
I would like to make the small donation of $50.00 right now.. just put my name on the list last.. thanks...

I've been waiting to find a copy of that bood for years.

jjinfla
09-28-2002, 03:51 AM
It may take a couple of years for the books to reach you Tom. LOL Jake

09-28-2002, 04:21 AM
Tom,

I suggest you make copies of the books, though I don't know if copyright infringment includes out-of-print works. They are worth re-reading, and may never be reprinted. After all, Eddie Robin doesn't have Harcourt Brace behind him like Robert Byrne does.

Enjoy the books.

Bob

09-28-2002, 12:32 PM
You seem to know a lot about books and publishers so I'd like your opinion if you don't mind. I've been around the game over 40 years, been back and forth across the country 14 times and have seen some of the greatest matches. I've been writing stories down and it looks like it may be turning into a book. I was thinking maybe I could make a little extra money for my grandaughter who's in college. Should I bother to try to contact a publisher or an agent? Should I try to publish the book myself? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

R.R.

bluewolf
09-28-2002, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> You seem to know a lot about books and publishers so I'd like your opinion if you don't mind. I've been around the game over 40 years, been back and forth across the country 14 times and have seen some of the greatest matches. I've been writing stories down and it looks like it may be turning into a book. I was thinking maybe I could make a little extra money for my grandaughter who's in college. Should I bother to try to contact a publisher or an agent? Should I try to publish the book myself? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

R.R. <hr></blockquote>

i am a writer myself and may get one of my books finished one day lol. there is a book available called 'the shortest distance between you and a published books'.there are also online groups who are writers and give tips.

i'd say write the book,then figure out out to market/publish it or you can do vanity publishing and make it available to the people that know you.

Laura

09-28-2002, 10:33 PM
R.R.,

Yes, I do know a bit about books, and I can also grade their condition, but I don't know anything about publishing and the legalities involved. However, I can tell you where I'd start. I'd contact men like Phil Capelle ( http://www.billiardspress.com/contact.html#write ), Jack Koehler (Sportology Publications, 25832 Evergreen Road, Laguna Hills, Ca 92653) or Bob Campbell ( doitforthegame@aol.com ), three self-published authors, or even Robert Byrne (through Billiards Digest) who is published through Harcourt Brace.

Obviously, being published through a large firm like HB will involve more time than self-publishing, so you may want to consider just doing it yourself. That depends upon how good a writer and editor you think you are. Self-published writers can be very good, but I feel a professional editor always helps. On the other hand, you could run into a questionable publisher like Kinetic Sports of "Precision Pool" fame that will not do your work one bit of good.

Anyway, to make a long story much shorter, ask someone who has been there. He should know how to approach it and what pitfalls to watch out for.

I look forward to your book. Good luck.

Regards,
Bob

TomBrooklyn
09-28-2002, 10:46 PM
Thanks to you and your friend for the offer, Dave. It's a very thoughful way for you guys to share.

You don't seem that Ungrateful. I seem to remember you picked that moniker up not that long ago somehow from this board; but I can't quite remember the story, LOL. =Tom

09-29-2002, 06:47 AM
Thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to look for that book. I see in your profile that you are a psychologist. That's what my grandaughter is studying to be. She says she has to get her doctoral degree and pass a very hard test to be one. How did you do it with only an MS degree?

09-29-2002, 06:50 AM
Thanks. I will look into those authors. Maybe they can give me some ideas.

R.R.

BillPorter
09-29-2002, 07:25 AM
R.R.,

Here's one more suggestion. Ask George Fels for his opinion about how to proceed. George is a frequent poster on this board and has written books and articles about pool for years. He is very knowledgeable and generous in the help he has given to many members of this board.

bluewolf
09-29-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to look for that book. I see in your profile that you are a psychologist. That's what my grandaughter is studying to be. She says she has to get her doctoral degree and pass a very hard test to be one. How did you do it with only an MS degree? <hr></blockquote>

I am a school psychologist. It is ms, one extra year of school psychology coursework and one year paid internship. it is kind of like having a degree which is half way in between a ms and phd. The new school psychologists coming through the exact program I took now get a degree called eds to recognize the additional year of course work.

a phd can hang out his or her own shingle or can work for an organization like the cia. a school psychologist works within the school system and cannot do private practice unless they also become licensed. there are pros and cons to both.if you or your granddaughter want more info, you can write me at onecreator@mindspring.com

good look on your book

Laura

09-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Just got off the phone with my grandaughter and she disagrees with you. She said you aren't a psychologist. You are either a counselor or therapist. She says there is a very specific legal definition attached to the term psychologist and that a person could have legal problems if they misuse it.

Well I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Have a great day.

R.R.

09-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanks Bill for picking up on what I forgot. George Fels is an entertaining writer and seems to me a pretty nice guy. I have no doubt he'd help.

All the best,
Bob

bluewolf
09-29-2002, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Thanks for the info. Just got off the phone with my grandaughter and she disagrees with you. She said you aren't a psychologist. You are either a counselor or therapist. She says there is a very specific legal definition attached to the term psychologist and that a person could have legal problems if they misuse it.

Well I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Have a great day.

R.R. <hr></blockquote>

there is a specific legality attached to the term psychologist. a phd psychologist, once they are licensed, can set up practice wherever they want. a school psychologist works in the school system.a guidance counselor also works in the schools but is a diferrent thing. a therapist typically works in a mental health agency or for a phd psychologist and the therapist usually has another type of license called an lpc.the school psych gets a lecense for working in the school system but cannot work outside of the school setting unless they are working under the supervision of a phd or lpc and they cannot be in private practice like a licensed phd psychologist with one exception. a school psychologist can obtain a special license called 'licensed professional counselor'.to obtain this is involved and requires supervision in counseling. once obtained though, the LPC can do many of the things that the licensed phd psychologist can do.there are a few llimitations but the lpc can counsel and administer psychological tests and have their own business.

Laura

09-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Aside from the fact that I'm muddled and befuddled, I think I understand what you are saying. I wish I could assign myself a title because I did the same work as someone with that title, but legally I can't if I don't have the credentials. Sorry to keep going back to my grandaughter but she said it is very cut and dry. Either you have the PHD and the license or you can't call yourself a psychologist in any sense of the word, even if you do the same work that one does. I'm helping to pay her tuition and I'd like to think that when all is said and done, she would have earned something special, a title that no one else can have without having gone through that same process.

Well, to each his or her own, I guess. Thanks for the informative discussion. Now it's on to bigger and better things, like pool.

Sincerely,

R.R.

09-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Well, whatever you want to call yourself bluewolf, you sure fit the description of the average psycologist: nuttier than a fruit cake. SlimJ.