PDA

View Full Version : Gyroscopic Pool Table

S0Noma
02-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Gyroscopic self leveling pool
table on the cruise ship "Radiance of the Seas"

Live Leak (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20c_1329103710)

Sev
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Thats got to play hell with your stance.

nAz
02-13-2012, 09:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S0Noma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gyroscopic self leveling pool
table on the cruise ship "Radiance of the Seas"

Live Leak (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20c_1329103710) </div></div>
thats pretty cool but im getting dizzy looking at it.

Hey S0noma WB, you sticking around, i miss reading ur post?

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I've seen old pictures of billiards tables on old cruise ships set up on more noticeable gimbles, back probably in the '30s.

To really work, you need two degrees of freedom, leveling the length and also the breadth of the table. Probably this has the two but I cannot notice the width adjustment in effect.

Sid_Vicious
02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
You notice how slow that cloth is? I'll wager that with 860 cloth, you'd see roll offs. On the less than judgemental side though, tables here where I play rock around like that after about 10 beers. I'd be use to the cruise-tables ;-) sid

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't think it would roll off with quicker cloth.

The table should be and probably is level at all times, assuming low friction gimballing. (sp?)

Unless we're talking movement in the vertical plane (which would only accelerate the balls straight down, not off to one side, I'm guessing).

eg8r
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Pretty cool. Could you imagine how much that table costs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

cushioncrawler
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Gyroscopik wouldnt work. U need a mechanizm that keeps all accelerations normal to the playing surface. Gyroscopik dont do dat.
mac.

LWW
02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
It couldn't be low friction or else the table would rock every time someone leaned on it.

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
You mean couldn't be low friction on the gimbals (not low friction cloth).

That's an interesting point. It might be true, although then, it would have some considerable delay to 'true' out to level, kind of defeating the purpose. And we see it fairly quickly rising and falling.

So I think the gimbals must be pretty frictionless, although I'll admit I don't know why or how what you say would then be avoided.

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty cool. Could you imagine how much that table costs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

About $100k is the quote from other cruise ships that have something similar, I've just read.

Soflasnapper
02-13-2012, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It couldn't be low friction or else the table would rock every time someone leaned on it. </div></div>

It might be VERY high friction, as in a servo mechanism running a gear up and down a track, hooked into either the gyros mentioned or accelerometers, similar to the I-phone and others.

eg8r
02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Well other than seeing that it is working just fine.

eg8r

LWW
02-13-2012, 06:46 PM
All I know is that if you could shoot well on that contraption you should make firewood of your cues once you reach dry land.