PDA

View Full Version : The Moron Advocates Cheating

llotter
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.americanthinker.com/cartoons/assets_c/2012/02/SackingRomeAndPope3WebCR-02_13_12-thumb-700xauto-854.jpg

Soflasnapper
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, it's really an accounting trick, of the sort already agreed to by 28 state laws, and for which the Catholic charities and hospital associations have already said they're fine with.

Is 'accounting' akin to 'cheating'? Sure.

pooltchr
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
What is the difference whether I buy a cheeseburger, or I give you the money to buy a cheeseburger for me?

Steve

Soflasnapper
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey, cheeseburgers on me! Nice to see you've dropped by.

No difference, in the real world.

However, the Church doesn't deal in the real world. They deal in the Jesuitical world, in the worst sense of that term. Nitpicking niggling distinctions that don't make the difference, but which they still engage in, and claim they do. That's the HRCC.

Here's Gene Lyon's take:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The late Sen. Ted Kennedy’s marriage was declared null and void [by this same Holy Roman Catholic Church] after 24 years and three children because—get this—he’d entered it with reservations. Specifically, he never intended to quit “dating.” (Evidently a family tradition.) Never mind that Kennedy’s ex-wife Joan agreed. Mine found it sickening, a patent end-run around the church’s unwillingness to countenance divorce.

For that matter, a couple of bishops attended Newt Gingrich’s third wedding. So don’t tell me they couldn’t find a way to accommodate President Obama’s downright Jesuitical compromise to the effect that Catholic hospitals don’t have to offer employees contraceptive care, but their insurance companies do. Canon lawyers make distinctions like that one every day.

Instead, they’ve settled upon a partisan power play to subvert the First Amendment rights they claim.

[...]

Until the US Conference of Bishops recently got crosswise with the Obama administration, even the church rarely emphasized the contraceptive issue. So at first, I was mainly struck by the sheer quaintness of it all. (As, evidently, were many Catholic universities and hospitals quietly complying with state laws mandating contraceptive coverage.) The bishops’ indignant fulminations about their wounded consciences put me in mind of the hilarious production number in Monty Python’s “The Meaning of Life,” with its chorus of impoverished Catholic urchins singing[...]

In a bankruptcy proceeding last week, the diocese of Milwaukee listed 8000 claims of sexual abuse among its liabilities. I’m with Esquire’s Charles P. Pierce, who writes that the great contraceptive kerfuffle with the Obama administration represents a fairly obvious power play by “the institutional American church to regain the power and influence in the secular government that it lost when it was exposed to be a multigenerational conspiracy to obstruct justice.”</div></div>

Not sure if you've heard this version of swearing an oath to something you will say, but it's common to hear words to the effect of 'freely, without mental reservations.' Why is that in there? Because the Jesuits came up with a way to lie under oath with good conscience-- the mental reservation dodge.

Of course, how they word it or whatever the wording is, the Jesuit-trained Catholic can simply have a mental reservation about denying he has any mental reservation, when he really does.