PDA

View Full Version : Foster Friess: Bayer aspirin for contraceptives

DiabloViejo
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Foster Friess: In my day, women "used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives"
By Lucy Madison Topics Campaign 2012
CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57379586-503544/foster-friess-in-my-day-women-used-bayer-aspirin-for-contraceptives/?tag=pop;stories)

Updated 8:05 p.m. ET

Foster Friess, a prominent backer of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, raised eyebrows Thursday when he offered up his own idea for a possible contraceptive method: "This contraceptive thing, my gosh, it's so... inexpensive. Back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives."

Friess's implication is that if women hold aspirin between their legs, they won't open them.

"The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn't that costly," he told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell.

Mitchell was visibly taken aback by the suggestion.

"Excuse me, I'm just trying to catch my breath from that, Mr. Friess, frankly," she said, after a pause.

Women's groups are not happy. The president of the National Organization of Women, Terry O'Neill, said Santorum and Friess should "apologize."

O'Neill said Friess' comments were "deeply offensive" and that "[Santorum] should clearly apologize to the women of this country," she said. "Mr. Friess should apologize," too, O'Neill told Talking Points Memo.

Friess was a major contributor to Santorum's campaign in the days before his victories in the early nominating states made him a serious contender for the nomination. According to Federal Election Commission filings, Friess gave the Red, White and Blue Fund, a pro-Santorum super PAC, $331,000 in 2011. It's not yet publicly known how much Friess has contributed to the super PAC in 2012 so far.

Santorum has said in the past that he is "not a believer in birth control" and believes it is "harmful" to both women and society. And in October, Santorum discussed the "dangers" of contraception with an evangelical blog.

"Many in the Christian faith have said, 'Well, that's okay. Contraception's okay," he said. "It's not okay because it's a license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to be within marriage, they are supposed to be for purposes that are, yes, conjugal, but also [inaudible], but also procreative. That's the perfect way that a sexual union should happen."

In a Tweet following the interview, Mitchell continued to express her disbelief over Friess' comment.

"Im still trying to get my head around this," she wrote on Twitter. "Tweeps what should i have said?"

pooltchr
02-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Simply a humorous way of pointing out that virtue and abstaining are the most effective method of birth control. Maybe it wasn't PC, but then, I'm fed up with all this PC BS we have to deal with today. Our country seems to have lost their collective sense of humor.

Steve

LWW
02-18-2012, 12:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simply a humorous way of pointing out that virtue and abstaining are the most effective method of birth control. Maybe it wasn't PC, but then, I'm fed up with all this PC BS we have to deal with today. Our country seems to have lost their collective sense of humor.

Steve </div></div>

In exchange for a collectivist sense of hyper-partisanship.

DiabloViejo
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah it was just a bit of humor. I hope you find it as funny when women turn out in droves to vote against the GOP candidate! I know I will!

Shhh! Donít Tell Republicans That Women Vote!
February 17, 2012
By Ann Werner

Addicting Information (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/17/shhh-dont-tell-republicans-that-women-vote/)

Unemployment is going down but is still at an unacceptable number. People in this country are hurting. Theyíre still losing their homes and the fact that the rate of foreclosure has slowed gives no comfort to those who are packing up and moving out of the dream they thought was theirs. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Our cities and states are struggling to come up with money for basic services like police and fire protection and teachers for our underfunded schools.

So what are Republicans talking about? Contraception. And women arenít invited to the conversation. States like Iowa are busily debating Tea Party bills that would send doctors who perform abortions to prison for life, or, if for some unknown reason they were going to perform an abortion but didnít, up to twenty-five years for even entertaining the notion.

The country is in trouble and the only thing the Republicans want to talk about is how they can strip away womenís rights. Rick Santorumís billionaire backer, Foster Friess, had the nerve to wax poetic and longingly about how in his day (that would be back in the Dark Ages) women prevented pregnancy by holding an aspirin between their knees. Trust me, Foster, if men bore children, contraceptives would be free on demand and abortions would be funded by the government.

Republicans have no answers for the problems confronting this country. Indeed, the Republican agenda and the policies implemented under the Bush administration are the reason this country is in the position in which it finds itself. Oh, theyíll holler and yell and say itís all Bill Clintonís fault and all Obamaís fault and will never admit that our surplus was squandered on unfunded wars and unnecessary tax giveaways to the wealthy. Itís just more noise from the guilty party. They have no answers and they have no defense, so they attack something completely unrelated in the hope that people wonít notice just how ineffective theyíve been since taking over Congress last year. Not one jobs program. Every program they come up with is the same. Tax cuts for the rich and cuts to programs that benefit everyone else. In the face of having no answers, they decided to pick on women.

Now how stupid is that? Yes, there are the Sarah Palins of the world who think the Republican agenda doesnít apply to them because they are of the anointed few. But most women get the picture. They see that the Republican agenda is to exert total control over women. Barefoot, broke and pregnant, yessireebob! Thatís the way they like their women. And I say YES! Keep it up! Because if they think for a nanosecond they can win the presidency by dumping all over women, they are even more deluded than I thought they were and thatís pretty deluded! I think theyíve forgotten that women vote. In high numbers. Higher numbers than men. Piss them off and theyíll come out in even larger numbers. Thereís nothing quite like attempting to roll back the strides women have made to really piss them off. At this rate, Obama wonít even have to campaign. He can sit back and enjoy watching the Republican party tear itself apart. And then, re-elected, he can get down to the business of getting this country back on track.

pooltchr
02-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Can someone explain to me how and when "free" contraceptives for everyone became a right? And since groups like Planned Parenthood already provide that particular service, how anyone could have figured they weren't already widely available? What else should we make "free" to everyone? If a guy can't afford dinner and a movie in hopes of scoring with a lady, should the taxpayers pick up the tab?

Doesn't anyone see how ridiculous this whole idea really is???

When I was young, we had to visit the local drug store and <u>purchase </u> our contraceptive devices. What changed?

Steve

DiabloViejo
02-18-2012, 05:14 PM
"Free contraception "is a smoke screen. Contraception provided thru insurance is not "free" it is paid for as part of the premium and is often subject to co-pays.

In cases where the contraception is truly free, you should be glad that someone is helping to keep the underclass population in check. You know it AND I know it.

What this is really about is the GOP mounting an assault on sex, procreation, and sexual conduct. It is a desperate attempt by the right wing to incite the fundamentalists in order to keep them from scrutinizing the dismal performance of the GOP controlled congress as regards more pressing issues i.e...the economy, unemployment, banking reform, and the foreclosure crisis.

But perhaps the GOP will find jobs related to women's uteruses. A new government agency could be created to enforce new sex statutes and the government could fund many new "Tactical Women's Alert Teams"(T.W.A.T. s) to round up loose women having sex for fun.

This of course could be paid for easily by dismantling the EPA and returning to the good old days of Love Canal, Cuyahoga River fires, toxic dumps and dying forests.

LOL you right wingers are being exposed as the lunatics you really are!

Stretch
02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Free contraception "is a smoke screen. Contraception provided thru insurance is not "free" it is paid for as part of the premium and is often subject to co-pays.

In cases where the contraception is truly free, you should be glad that someone is helping to keep the underclass population in check. You know it AND I know it.

What this is really about is the GOP mounting an assault on sex, procreation, and sexual conduct. It is a desperate attempt by the right wing to incite the fundamentalists in order to keep them from scrutinizing the dismal performance of the GOP controlled congress as regards more pressing issues i.e...the economy, unemployment, banking reform, and the foreclosure crisis.

But perhaps the GOP will find jobs related to women's uteruses. A new government agency could be created to enforce new sex statutes and the government could fund many new "Tactical Women's Alert Teams"(T.W.A.T. s) to round up loose women having sex for fun.

This of course could be paid for easily by dismantling the EPA and returning to the good old days of Love Canal, Cuyahoga River fires, toxic dumps and dying forests.

LOL you right wingers are being exposed as the lunatics you really are!

</div></div>

Excellent post! St.

LWW
02-19-2012, 03:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In cases where the contraception is truly free, you should be glad that someone is helping to keep the underclass population in check. You know it AND I know it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent post! St. </div></div>

You have both officially now endorsed the NAZI ideology of EUGENICS. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics)

DiabloViejo
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
When all else fails call someone a Nazi, right? Have you ever heard of Godwin's Law?

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussionóregardless of topic or scopeósomeone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.
Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form."

Wikipedia: Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law)

Yep you guys seem to have the market on calling people Nazis cornered: (Shame on you!)

Google: Hitler/Obama images (http://www.google.com/search?q=obama+hitler&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=rD9BT7X0J4jl0QHXmpioBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=709)

First, Bush was a Nazi, now Obama is a Nazi.

Letís be absolutely clear on the matter. All Presidents are going to have some good ideas and some bad ideas regardless of what political party they belong to, but until an American president decides to kill over 6,000,000 people because of their race, religion, or genes, you should really hold off on the Nazi name calling. Itís disgusting, itís wrong, and it makes a mockery of the extermination of millions of innocents by Hitlerís goons.

Sev
02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Well hell.
We might as well just consider all woman whores and toss them away like used tampons when we are done with them.
They all charge for sex in one form or another.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DiabloViejo
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzfixh6dov1rproevo1_500.jpg

http://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/santorum-anal-sex.png

eg8r
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Foster Friess, a prominent backer of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, raised eyebrows Thursday when he offered up his own idea for a possible contraceptive method: "This contraceptive thing, my gosh, it's so... inexpensive. Back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives."

Friess's implication is that if women hold aspirin between their legs, they won't open them.
</div></div>Seems like he is on to something. How many people have you seen get pregnant with their legs slammed shut?

eg8r

eg8r
02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah it was just a bit of humor. I hope you find it as funny when women turn out in droves to vote against the GOP candidate! I know I will!
</div></div>Only a fool comes to this conclusion. Because those women will vote with their brains turned off doesn't take away from the common sense humor that abstinence is the number one birth control on the planet and it is free.

eg8r

eg8r
02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Free contraception "is a smoke screen. Contraception provided thru insurance is not "free" it is paid for as part of the premium and is often subject to co-pays.
</div></div>So then you would agree that it would be perfectly fine and in the insurance companies right to raise rates for only those women that actively take advantage of this added service to offset its costs?

eg8r

eg8r
02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Stretch, would you be fine with the insurance companies agreeing to this atrocity and then raising the rates for ONLY those women who take advantage of the free contraception?

eg8r

DiabloViejo
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah it was just a bit of humor. I hope you find it as funny when women turn out in droves to vote against the GOP candidate! I know I will!
</div></div>Only a fool comes to this conclusion. Because those women will vote with their brains turned off doesn't take away from the common sense humor that abstinence is the number one birth control on the planet and it is free.

eg8r </div></div>

LOL! Those dumb women (who only vote with their brains turned off), and have no sense of humor when it comes to their reproductive rights, are only 52% of the voting population. And they vote in far greater numbers than men.

eg8r
02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
LOL, since you are refusing to use common sense let me spell it out for you...They don't care about the "dumb" ones who will vote with their brains turned off. Not all women vote on a single issue anyways so for you to act like it is ridiculous. Once again your statement that women in general do not have a sense of humor when it comes to their reproductive rights is equally outlandish. I suggest that maybe you get off your computer and actually go meet women and talk to them before you decide to start talking FOR them.

Women who choose to vote against a politician because he recommends abstinence are what I would call a "dumb" woman and I could care less if they voted for a Rep or a Dem. My guess is that they would vote for a Dem and that is fine.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
02-20-2012, 12:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Free contraception "is a smoke screen. Contraception provided thru insurance is not "free" it is paid for as part of the premium and is often subject to co-pays.
</div></div>So then you would agree that it would be perfectly fine and in the insurance companies right to raise rates for only those women that actively take advantage of this added service to offset its costs?

eg8r </div></div>

Have you ever heard of "The Law of Large Numbers" and it's relation to insurance products and actuarial analysis?

Do you pay for auto insurance? Do you deliberately go wrecking your car every so often just to recoup your insurance premiums? Does it tick you off that you have to pay for insurance even if you've never had an accident?

Your argument is lame.

eg8r
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
My argument that only the ones using should be the ones paying is lame? LOL, great the board has yet another loonie tune looking for a free handout. Probably just one of the users that was kicked off having no where to go so they start up a new name and carry on.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My argument that only the ones using should be the ones paying is lame? LOL, great the board has yet another loonie tune looking for a free handout. Probably just one of the users that was kicked off having no where to go so they start up a new name and carry on.

eg8r</div></div>

Yes it's absolutely and totally lame, just like your ad hominem "loonie" comment.

That's right, when you can't provide a reasoned and articulate response you resort to low life tactics. How very classy of you sir! Keep up the good work, it only makes it easier for others to see you for what you really are.

Just to show you I'm not a bad sport, how about we make a little wager? If Mitt or Rick win the presidential election I will buy you a bottle of Dom Perignon. If Obama wins, you will buy me the bottle of Dom. Let me know if you accept the bet.

wolfdancer
02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Ed posted "lww style", long before his protege arrived. Social Security, Medicare,free lunches for school kids,school buses, etc., are among his pet peeves. He believes, it would seem, that all non-revenue producers should be "put to sleep". ala the old Charlton Heston movie.
Should you lose, pour out the contents of your Dom P., and save for your own use. Refill it with the "Andre" brand at $4.39 a bottle. Why waste good champagne on an uneducated palate?

eg8r
02-20-2012, 10:26 PM
[quote]If Mitt or Rick win the presidential election I will buy you a bottle of Dom Perignon. If Obama wins, you will buy me the bottle of Dom. Let me know if you accept the bet.
quote]I am just not a betting man. I do drink almost strictly water though so let's call it a bottle of zephyrhills? I say strictly because at breakfast I will put down a glass of milk or OJ and then again there are those times once a day when I have a protein shake? You hear anything that tickles your fancy?

eg8r

eg8r
02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Social Security, Medicare,free lunches for school kids,school buses, etc., are among his pet peeves. </div></div>I am not against SS, I just think the average American should have the right to choose in they want to invest in their retirement. I also believe they should be able to choose where that money is invested. I am even fine with Medicare but there needs to be major cuts in order to make it more efficient and streamlined. As far as free lunches and school buses, I have never spoken out against them, but I understand you are only trying to make a point no matter how big of a lie you have to tell to get it across.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
02-21-2012, 02:55 AM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2012/02/17/14/05/Ku9Iv.St.56.jpg

LWW
02-21-2012, 02:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Social Security, Medicare,free lunches for school kids,school buses, etc., are among his pet peeves. </div></div>I am not against SS, I just think the average American should have the right to choose in they want to invest in their retirement. I also believe they should be able to choose where that money is invested. I am even fine with Medicare but there needs to be major cuts in order to make it more efficient and streamlined. As far as free lunches and school buses, I have never spoken out against them, but I understand you are only trying to make a point no matter how big of a lie you have to tell to get it across.

eg8r </div></div>

You just fell for the oldest Alinsky trick in the book ... they got you to defend a position you never took.

DiabloViejo
02-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Alinsky this, and Alinsky that..yeah every single person who disagrees with you is a cunning disciple of Alinsky. The liberal 'cabal' requires all liberals to be well versed in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, just like all conservatives are required to read "Rules for Douchebags". LMAO!

Qtec
02-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Where is the Choirboy?
Under the covers?

Q

LWW
02-21-2012, 05:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The liberal 'cabal' requires all liberals to be well versed in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals ...</div></div>

At least you can admit it. In fact, you appear to be proud of it.

Stretch
02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The liberal 'cabal' requires all liberals to be well versed in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals ...</div></div>

At least you can admit it. In fact, you appear to be proud of it. </div></div>

Not even half as proud as you were. I'm thinking you get royalties whenever the word Alinsky is brought up. It was never a part of the conversation prior to your alternate universe version of the news. St.

LWW
02-21-2012, 08:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The liberal 'cabal' requires all liberals to be well versed in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals ...</div></div>

Not even half as proud as you were. I'm thinking you get royalties whenever the word Alinsky is brought up. It was never a part of the conversation prior to your alternate universe version of the news. St. </div></div>

Don't hate me because I'm educated.

DiabloViejo
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Having a computer and access to Google does not make one "educated".

Stretch
02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The liberal 'cabal' requires all liberals to be well versed in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals ...</div></div>

Not even half as proud as you were. I'm thinking you get royalties whenever the word Alinsky is brought up. It was never a part of the conversation prior to your alternate universe version of the news. St. </div></div>

Don't hate me because I'm educated. </div></div>

I don't, but thanks for confirming your lack of awareness. St.

LWW
02-22-2012, 03:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having a computer and access to Google does not make one "educated". </div></div>

As you and the rest of the cabal have proven many times ... it does, however, allow leftists to shop for the lie they want to believe until they find it.