PDA

View Full Version : Women, girls taking up guns.

Sev
02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
The best way to secure the second amendment is to have woman secure firearms.
It will give the "My cold dead hands" an all new meaning.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-20/women-shooting-guns/53172380/1

DES MOINES, Iowa There are pink guns. Pink ear protection. Pink shell pouches. For your car, don't miss the pink "Pistol Packing Princess" sticker. And if you want to pack heat while lunching at your favorite tea room, a purse with a special pistol holster is de rigueur.
http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2012/02/20/Women-girls-taking-up-guns-in-higher-numbers-C41180E0-x.jpg
Elsa Anderson, 14, of Des Moines, started turkey hunting with her father Steve when she was 9. They have collected turkey fans together over the years.

By Mary Chind, Gannett

Elsa Anderson, 14, of Des Moines, started turkey hunting with her father Steve when she was 9. They have collected turkey fans together over the years.

All of this is aimed at women who want to own a gun for protection, for hunting or for sport shooting a rapidly growing demographic. But don't let all that girly pink fool you. Women in the United States, and Iowa, for example, take their firearms seriously.

Research by the National Sporting Goods Association shows female participation in target shooting grew by 46.5% between 2001 and 2010. And an October 2011 Gallup Poll found 23% of women own a gun.

In Iowa, a law that took effect on Jan. 1, 2011, making weapons permits available to anyone who met criteria and passed a background check has resulted in huge increases in the number of permits granted to both men and women. In Polk County, where Des Moines is located, the number of women granted permits has outpaced those granted to men by more than two to one, skyrocketing more than 311% between 2010 and 2011.

The Des Moines Register talked with three central Iowa female gun enthusiasts about why they shoot. Each has her own reasons to own a gun.

Elsa Anderson, a willowy teenager, sees hunting as a way to connect with nature, and with her dad. Petite police detective Dani Metzger used a career change to help conquer a phobia of loud noises. And for business-savvy athlete Haley Dunn, a firearms instructor and Olympic-level skeet-shooter, guns are both her life and her livelihood.

Elsa Anderson, 14:
Student, athlete and hunter

Setting aside the fact that she's 6 feet tall, Elsa Anderson is a pretty typical teenager. The freshman at Des Moines Christian School sports Day-Glo blue nail polish, a mouth full of hardware and an exhausting school/church/sports/social schedule.

She also loves a good turkey hunt.

"I first started going when I was 5 or 6," Elsa says. "I was basically the dog the one who ran around in the corn trying to scare up turkeys." Her dad, Steve, begins to protest the description, then shrugs and says, "Yeah, she sort of was."

Steve Anderson is a longtime hunter of various animals with a range of weapons, and he gave all three of his children the opportunity to share the sport with him. Elsa, the youngest, has been interested since she was a wee tot. "I used to get turkey-hunting bedtime stories every night," Elsa remembers, "until he finally ran out." But Elsa's interest in turkey hunting did not.

By the time she was 8, Steve says, Elsa was carrying a gun and was learning to actually turkey hunt in earnest. "It's a good sport for kids to start with because you can just sit and tuck them in your legs so you're right there with them."

"Then," Elsa adds, "he would tell me when to take off the safety, help me line up and then tell me when to pull the trigger." Her first go round, she shot and missed mostly. Her mother, Kelly, says, "I got a text from her that said 'I got turkey feathers!' " Still, she was hooked. "That really got me interested in doing it again. And I really came back at it the next year."

The next season came and Elsa got not only feathers, but a whole bird plus an innocent bird bystander. "I learned a lesson: Don't shoot a turkey when there's another one behind it." Dad Steve hastens to jump in. "She didn't mean to kill two turkeys," he says. "It was totally an accident."

Kelly says, "That time I got a text that said 'Got one and a spare!' "

Both dad and daughter enjoy the time together. "We're a good team," Steve says. "I have patience and can wait; she likes to move around and find new spots."

So what kind of gun does Elsa use? "Ummm a black one," she says, waving her electric fingernails and tossing her blond mane. "Well, I mean a semi-automatic 12-gauge," says the girl who grew up tromping the countryside in search of turkeys.

Dani Metzger, 41:
Police detective, student and sport shooter

Dani Metzger never went to birthday parties as a kid because there were balloons there. She loathed thunderstorms and July 4th celebrations and it never, ever crossed her mind to go hunting with her family. A paralyzing phobia of sudden, loud noises doomed Metzger to fearful hours in the basement of her Minnesota home, where she hid when her dad was cleaning guns and waited out the crashes and booms of spring storms and summer celebrations.

Metzger, 41, a tiny but muscled blonde with a big, white smile, is a now a police detective and firearms instructor, as well as an avid sport shooter and hunter. She recently spent a week of vacation admiring armored vehicles, tree stands and $90,000 guns at the Las Vegas SHOT Show, a massive annual trade show for the shooting, hunting and law enforcement industries.

Even better, she got a brand new rifle over the holidays. "My friends made so much fun of me because I got a diamond necklace and a rifle for Christmas, and I put a picture of the rifle up on my Facebook page," Metzger says, laughing.

How did she get from to gun shy to gun geek? She was 27 years old and raising two daughters alone when she decided to "get over it."

"I had decided I wanted to go into law enforcement, but there was that gun thing. The fear was controlling me; it was adversely affecting my life. I needed to get over it for me and for my girls."

And so she did. A friend of a friend took Metzger to a shooting range and slowly and patiently took apart a gun and put it together. Then he made Metzger do it. Within an hour, Metzger says, she was shooting it.

By 2003, she was enrolled in the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, where she met her now-husband, John, a firearms instructor there. She had already started to actually enjoy shooting, she says, "but it's more fun when you have better skills, and I got better skills at the academy."

"Guns are a really big part of our work and our families, too, because we both come from families where hunting and shooting is big," Metzger says. "They're just a huge part of our lives. I mean, we have a huge gun safe in our dining room." Metzger's two daughters and two step-daughters have also learned to shoot.

She tries to make it out to a shooting range at least once a month, though free time is in short supply: As well as working full-time, Metzger is a full-time student at Simpson College, earning a degree in criminal justice.

Metzger especially enjoys the competitive aspect of shooting and focuses on precision distance shooting and admits being one of the few "girls" on the range can be satisfying. "I like competing against guys and doing well. I'll admit it: I get a big smile when I beat my husband."

Haley Dunn, 26:
Champion sporting-clay and skeet shooter, 2004 and 2008 Olympic alternate.

It seems a pretty sure bet that if your father owns a shooting range, you'll grow up shooting. Haley Dunn, who grew up in Iowa and now lives in Texas, did, though she was already shooting before her parents opened Steelclay Shooting Sports in Eddyville, Iowa, in 1995 when Dunn was 10. That was also the year Dunn got her first animal on a daddy-daughter hunting trip.

Whether the talent came from nurture or nature, it came in barrels full. By 12, Dunn was competing, and at 14, she won the Iowa State Sporting Clays Championship, the youngest-ever female gold medalist. "I've always liked shooting sporting clays," Dunn says, "because it simulates hunting."

It didn't take long for Dunn to get noticed, and when she turned 15, the U.S. Olympic shooting coach invited her to the Junior Olympic Championships in Colorado Springs as a skeet shooter. She took silver. Nine months later, in 2001, Dunn won the gold medal in the World Championship's junior division, starting a gold medal run that lasted the rest of the year.

Dunn loves the competition of shooting. "It takes a lot of hard work and discipline; of course having a natural ability makes it more fun. I love the people and working with kids, and I like that it's something you can do your entire life."

She also really loves the travel. "I could live out of a suitcase forever," Dunn swears. Dubai was one of the most interesting spots she has landed, she says, "but I like Italy a lot. Shooting is a big sport over there, plus the food's good. Obviously."

In between winning here, there and everywhere, Dunn managed to graduate high school a year early (while having packed in three sports, drill team, marching band and a 3.8 GPA) and earn a bachelor's degree in agricultural business management from the University of Missouri-Columbia.

These days, Dunn is still competing at the elite level, but has branched out into coaching and a new business. "I just started a company with some partners called the Gold Medal Shooting Academy," which offers we-come-to-you instruction all over the country.

Though Dunn didn't make the 2012 Olympic skeet team, she hasn't ruled out trying for 2016. "Right now, I'm focusing on my new business and coaching. But I'm only 26 and I have plenty of time."

eg8r
02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
I love the show Sons of Guns and I think it is funny every time the owners daughter wants to build something for women. I don't know how well any of it would do if they were not on a show and getting all the free publicity but it does seem strange to see colored guns at the range.

eg8r <~~~still waiting for a good deal on a 9mm Sig

cushioncrawler
02-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Brings tears to my eyes. Every kid shood shoot nature, u karnt get any closer than that.
mac.