PDA

View Full Version : VA Gov agrees-- bill is too invasive

Soflasnapper
02-24-2012, 03:14 PM
From the governor's remarks:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is clear that in the majority of cases, a routine external, transabdominal ultrasound is sufficient to meet the bills stated purpose, that is, to determine gestational age. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>I have come to understand that the medical practice and standard of care currently guide physicians to use other procedures to find the gestational age of the child, when abdominal ultrasounds cannot do so.</span> Determining gestational age is essential for legal reasons, to know the trimester of the pregnancy in order to comply with the law, and for medical reasons as well.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Thus, having looked at the current proposal, I believe there is no need to direct by statute that further invasive ultrasound procedures be done. Mandating an invasive procedure in order to give informed consent is not a proper role for the state. No person should be directed to undergo an invasive procedure by the state, without their consent, as a precondition to another medical procedure.</span>

For this reason, I have recommended to the General Assembly a series of amendments to this bill. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>I am requesting that the General Assembly amend this bill to explicitly state that no woman in Virginia will have to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound involuntarily. I am asking the General Assembly to state in this legislation that only a transabdominal, or external, ultrasound will be required to satisfy the requirements to determine gestational age. Should a doctor determine that another form of ultrasound may be necessary to provide the necessary images and information that will be an issue for the doctor and the patient. The government will have no role in that medical decision.</span> </div></div>

Link (http://feministing.com/2012/02/22/shorter-va-governor-women-should-be-violated-over-belly-not-through-vagina/)

To recap: the governor says most women would not need the intrusive procedure to be performed to meet the requirements of the law, but SOME would (contrary to arguments to the contrary seen here. But what would the GOVERNOR OF THE STATE know that you don't?)

He says the state shouldn't require such invasive procedures (for however many women would be so required). He says the law needs to be changed to assure that will be the case.

About what the law's critics have been saying. Case closed, from the mouth of the governor.

cushioncrawler
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Smells fishy to me.
I think that he might be the baby's real daddy -- just saying.
mac.