PDA

View Full Version : Killing An Hour In A PH I've Never Been In

Sid_Vicious
02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I was doing another hobby today from 10-noon, in another city an hour away from home. I had some down time between my other hobby(metal detecting) so I went to eat lunch or have a beer and decided to discover the city's pool hall just for the cold beer. Nobody was on the 5 tables at that time of day, I asked...pool was $2 a person an hour, and since I had my case in the trunk as usual, I made an hour of shooting pool part of the intermission.

OK, I am lingering here...it was satisfying shooting balls at a place where nobody knew me, no expectations, and also after me kind of keeping myself basically on a pool-playing diet for about a whole week of bad playing. Is it just me, or do you find pleasure in dropping into a PH you've never been to in the early afternoon, just to kill personal time? The balls were rolling good too ;-)

I just thought that it was neat. it's not like this is the first time for simply dropping into a different PH in the middle of the day. It just felt nicer this time for some reason. sid

cushioncrawler
02-26-2012, 02:34 AM
I think that last month someone dug up a 100oz nugget north of here.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes they did. sid

cushioncrawler
02-27-2012, 03:37 AM
My brother duz a lot of detekting, gets a few nuggets up to 1/2oz.
He gets lots of $2 and $1 coins in parks and sportsfields and playgrounds.
mac.

bradb
03-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I have to tell everyone about a pool hall I found down in Mexicali while on vacation.

This place looked just like a movie set from a spaghetti western. It was crowded with noisy drunks, skanky looking women in skin tight skirts, and the bath room was one place you did not want to go into! To complete the scene there was a guy passed out at the bar with his face buried in a plate of beans! At the tables were players right out of central casting... thick mustaches, ranchero hats, a fat guy who looked like seargent Garcia from Zorro, and a cowboy with snakeskin boots and matching snakeskin vest.

The pool action was good but I could'nt figure out what kind of game they were playing, after they made a ball they would spot it back up along the rail and money would come out.

Needless to say I was fascinated with this place but not stupid enough to get into a game cold off the street. And of course I stood out in there like Peewee Herman at a Hells Angels rally, so figured I better not hang around to long.

I tied to get an idea who the hustlers were and it wasn't long before this ferret looking guy with slicked back hair and a beat up rack cue gave me the eye. I would have liked to take him on... the tables looked easy and he was staggering around missing balls and acting drunk. Guess he saw me as a fish!

Finally I was starting to draw to much attention so got out of there, but what a hoot, it was a pool hall from the past.

The tourist office on the California side told me that Mexicali is fairly safe as the businesses police the city well. Next time I go down there I'll dress like the locals and try and catch the action.

-Brad

cushioncrawler
03-04-2012, 05:25 AM
I recommend that u make a strong statement -- u need good street cred.
mac.
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh474/gabesmom77/amigos.jpg

bradb
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Mac, you go in there dressed like that, you better not stray to far from the exit.

Qtec
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was satisfying shooting balls at a place where nobody knew me, <u>no expectations</u>, </div></div>

So you were playing pool like you should do?

Qtec

SpiderMan
04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to tell everyone about a pool hall I found down in Mexicali while on vacation.

The pool action was good but I could'nt figure out what kind of game they were playing, after they made a ball they would spot it back up along the rail and money would come out.
</div></div>

Brad,

That's a fairly common money game in the Mexican poolrooms around Dallas. Usually played like a ring game with between 3 and a truck-bed-full of participants, the table semi-covered with white hand chalk, and everyone leaning over the rails hooting at the shooter. For more description, you can search the archives for my post "Mexican Bang-a-Ball".

SpiderMan