PDA

View Full Version : Tip Replacement Kit

TomBrooklyn
09-28-2002, 08:44 AM
I want to get some tip replacement tools that don't cost too much but will do a decent job. I only want to replace tips for myself, not for a business. I was thinking of getting the kit sold at Seyberts http://www.seyberts.com/billiardaccessories/cue/tipkit.htm. Whats bothering me about that is the Cue Tip Sander they show in the picture is improperly attached to the shaft of the cue which may be tapered versus the ferrule which has parallel sides. Therefore, I don't know if this device can be properly attached to the ferrule. I also don't know if it has reasonably low run out and ability to hold square, but I figure it's got to be better than doing it by hand.

Another thing bothering me is I don't know if the Porper Cut-Rite Trimmer and Burnisher work very well. If they don't work well, I'd just as soon trim and burnish the tip by hand. I know Porper has a Trimmer that is much more solid but it costs about $90.00 and I don't want to pay that to do a tip now and then. =TB=

09-28-2002, 08:52 AM
Your best bet is a good tip sander and a way to spin the shaft so you can finish the tip properly. Cutting the tip down can be done by hand with no problem, of course a lathe would be better, but just for yourself by hand is fine. You really do need a way to spin the shaft though. You can make something up pretty easily.

09-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Porper Lil Shaver costs less, around $13, and works ok. What can be made up "pretty easily" to spin shafts? TIA, Yogi
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Your best bet is a good tip sander and a way to spin the shaft so you can finish the tip properly. Cutting the tip down can be done by hand with no problem, of course a lathe would be better, but just for yourself by hand is fine. You really do need a way to spin the shaft though. You can make something up pretty easily. <hr></blockquote>

stickman
09-28-2002, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> What can be made up "pretty easily" to spin shafts? TIA, Yogi<hr></blockquote>

I have something started, that I haven't finished yet. I went to the automotive store and purchased a bearing that is a little bigger than the small end of my shaft. Inside the bearing, I put a strip of adhesive backed printing blanket. (rubber) I cut a hole part way through a 2x4 the same diameter of the bearing, and another hole all the way through, bigger than the inside diameter of the bearing. I've mounted the bearing in the 2x4. For the other end, I've taken a rubber crutch foot that will fit tightly over the large end of the shaft, drilled a hole through the center, and put a bolt and nut in it. I chuck the bolt in my drill. I've used it by putting the 2x4 mounted bearing in my vise and propping my drill up on my work bench. I plan to finish making the frame for this thing eventually. I intend to mount the drill in another 2x4, and add the bottom frame that connects the two ends, and allows me to slid the two ends closer and farther apart, as needed. I want to lock the drill on and purchase foot control, one that just turns things off and on, plugs into the the electric outlet, and has a place to plug in the equipment. If I ever get around to finishing it, I'll take pictures and have them, and the plans on my web site.