PDA

View Full Version : Why acknowledging things isn't an apology...

Soflasnapper
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
A man is discovered in bed consorting with a women, not his wife, by his wife. After the younger woman dresses and leaves, the man confesses to his wife he's been with that woman, and other women, on multiple occasions. Does the wife consider that an apology has been given, or is she now awaiting an apology?

An employer has evidence an employee is stealing from the business, and confronts the employee. The employee admits that yes, he did take the articles out the back door. Has the employee apologized by this admission, or has that not taken place yet?

In the 2000 campaign, then-Gov. Bush stated he thought we should have a more humble foreign policy, implicitly stating we had an arrogant foreign policy (or at least, one not as humble as we should have). Was this an APOLOGY for having too arrogant a foreign policy, or simply a statement of belief, with no apology?

These points are made with regard to the constant claims of the right that Obama has endlessly apologized, even taken an apology tour. But fact checkers state that he has never apologized personally or for the country in his various statements taken to be that-- an apology.

The above points show why that is true, and the mistake (or I would say, lie) that is made when these sloppy claims are made.

Sid_Vicious
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Bush had so many more lies, No way he shouldn't be more harshly punished than Clinton. That guy should be in federal prison, or hung!, but definitely NOT taking our tax dollars today with protective services. That has to be costing us a small "tax fortune." sid

eg8r
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bush had so many more lies, No way he shouldn't be more harshly punished than Clinton.</div></div>LOL, you always deliver the punchline, oh wait, should I have said you are always the punchline? Oh well, either way, did you want to comment on the subject of "Obama the Apologist" or not?

eg8r

eg8r
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I agree, I have never heard Obama apologize for anything.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Whereas Clinton actually did.

For the Tuskegee syphilis experimentation, for one thing.

LWW
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Say it ain't so Barry, say it ain't so. (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obama-apology-afghans-calmed-things/story?id=15819707#.T09AdUYxMiI)

eg8r
03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Well I watched the video and perused the article but I never did see a single quote from Obama making an apology. I did hear in the video Bob say the word apology but it was while he tried to speak over Obama (which he ignored). Is there a quote anywhere of Obama actually apologizing or are there just examples of reporters calling it an apology and then cutting into the middle where Obama refers to it as "it"?

eg8r

LWW
03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
The reich wing ABC News and dear leader himself ... disagree. (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obama-apology-afghans-calmed-things/story?id=15819707#.T06x2FxSQlI)

eg8r
03-01-2012, 09:12 AM
That the same link and no where did Obama say he apologized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">President Obama said his formal apology to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for the burning of Korans by U.S. troops last week has "calmed things down" after the incident sparked an outbreak of violence across the country. </div></div>This is the first paragraph but it is the reporter calling this a formal apology. Is there a single quote anywhere with Obama calling this an apology? Anywhere?

In the video the reporter called it an apology in the voiceover and Obama refers to "it" and it would lead me to believe Obama is calling the "apology" "it" but we don't get to hear the reporters actual question, just the response. The next time the word "apology" was used was by the reporter as he was talking over Obama.

eg8r

LWW
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That the same link and no where did Obama say he apologized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">President Obama said his formal apology to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for the burning of Korans by U.S. troops last week has "calmed things down" after the incident sparked an outbreak of violence across the country. </div></div>This is the first paragraph but it is the reporter calling this a formal apology. Is there a single quote anywhere with Obama calling this an apology? Anywhere?

In the video the reporter called it an apology in the voiceover and Obama refers to "it" and it would lead me to believe Obama is calling the "apology" "it" but we don't get to hear the reporters actual question, just the response. The next time the word "apology" was used was by the reporter as he was talking over Obama.

eg8r </div></div>

After about 1:10 of fawning on profusely about the honor of meeting dear leader ... at 1:25 of the video:

ABC NEWS: "Do you think it helped, the apology?"

OBAMA: "It called things down."

So, did you hear him apologize?

No.

Did he admit to apologizing?

Yes.

What did he say in the apology?

The regime refuses to release the letter.

Why?

Soflasnapper
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Say it ain't so Barry, say it ain't so. (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obama-apology-afghans-calmed-things/story?id=15819707#.T09AdUYxMiI) </div></div>

It's been reported, and confirmed by the WH, that in this case there was an apology. I am not denying this case, although by this discussion here, we have not seen, heard, or been able to read the exact apology language.

By the standard of some (which would be you), no actual audio or video or available transcript of the apology letter could be taken to mean there wasn't one, or no evidence of one. I don't agree with that position, as the report and the administration's verification of that report are clear enough to the contrary.

It would still remain true that eg8r has not heard any apology, but that's a different point.

LWW
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the standard of some (which would be you), no actual audio or video or available transcript of the apology letter could be taken to mean there wasn't one, or no evidence of one.</div></div>

Without a:

- Copy of the letter of apology.

- Transcript of the apology.

- Video or audio of the apology.

- An admission of the apology.

- A witness to the apology.

yes, that would qualify as no evidence to a sane person.

To a leftist, a:

means the same as no evidence at all if they are defending someone bearing the golden (D) behind their name.

At the same time, to a leftist, the total absence of a:

would be considered proof of guilt if and when they were condemning a non golden (D) bearing individual.

Soflasnapper
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Projection.

I don't take eg8r to be a liberal, or a defender of Democrats. He's just trying to hoist you on your own petard, IMO. With some justification from past parallel formalisms.

In this case, lacking direct information as to the apology, it's still clear there was one by admission of the president himself.

LWW
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
I wasn't talking to or about eg8r.